Server Side Release Date?

2»

Comments

• Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    its the first release of an alpha build ...

NS1 didn't have linux servers till after it was released ...

/perspective?
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779268:date=Jul 15 2010, 01:16 PM:name=Zervun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zervun @ Jul 15 2010, 01:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779268"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do people even run 32 bit windows servers anymore except for old legacy equipment?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have been running my Q6600 win32 blade server w/8GB ram for the last 2 years and have been very happy with it.

With 4 ns1 servers and 4 trackmania servers along side a TS3 and Ventrilo as well as trackmania server stats with xaseco database using a standalone apache webserver with as many as 80 unique connections at once i have never seen the quad core max out or even so much as a hiccup so i think i'll save my cash and stick with my "old" equipment.

Sure you can rent a linux server box but why when you can own a win32 box for a fraction of the cost.

Don't get me wrong, Linux is a great system for development and data intensive usage but when the games are released they are most likely for windows and developers usually only vest in the servers for the operating system the game was made for. Thus is why we made the choice to go win system.

If more games used linux that is where i would be, but that's sadly not the case.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sure you can rent a linux server box but why when you can own a win32 box for a fraction of the cost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That sentence doesnt make any sense. Usually a linux box is cheaper because there are no high license costs.
  • ZervunZervun Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9658Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1779297:date=Jul 15 2010, 05:46 PM:name=w0dk4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w0dk4 @ Jul 15 2010, 05:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779297"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Windows Server 2008 is not antiquated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How many 32 bit win 2008 servers have you seen? I've seen 0. Being a security SE and security analyst, being in hundreds of datacenters (built 4 myself) almost no one uses 32 bit windows anymore server side at least for new deployments - with patches ending on windows of certain varieties everyone is migrating.

This isn't a linux vs. windows battle for me, it's a larger picture - the 32 bit choice only is poor especially restricted to windows. I think 2008/64bit is great (even though I still stick to my centos 64 bit). I can run a VM on the server and run this, but there are always performance issues.

Linux server runners have a major backbone in HLx servers. I run a TF2 server. I love NS much more ;) have been waiting for NS2. Regarless of what was released on the original HL1 engine, there was a massive number of linux servers. Yes this isn't the HL engine anymore and I totally applaud that, but you have to be multiple platform - especially to past server runners of the older version

We have people like me with some massive horsepower and community behind us that are running linux servers. I have no issues with the client being windows only now as I run win7 as my OS. I have nothing at all against windows servers in fact I have 2x 2008 servers but not with the same bandwidth/processing.

And this is with clause - but most windows specific admins do not have the capabilities to run/script a gaming server at least on what I have found. Most of the *nix related admins have to have some skills to be able to deal with things. Many of the things in past servers are very command line for getting what needs to be done. The money windows server runners are experienced with *nix, scripting whether it is perl/python/ruby or even batch. Most of the "common" generic windows server runners don't even know what a .bat file is.

Let us run our linux servers and promote the awesomeness of NS2. 32 bit win servers have seriously have to be in the minority. What person putting up a new windows server isn't going to do 64 bit 2008?

A 32 bit windows release is horrible. What is next solaris 8? We should really have 64 bit win 2008 and nix at the start over anything else.

And I'm totally sorry for being a stinker - it's just really frustrating. I DO want to help the community and have the power to do it, but I can't..
    <!--quoteo(post=1779335:date=Jul 15 2010, 07:19 PM:name=w0dk4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w0dk4 @ Jul 15 2010, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That sentence doesnt make any sense. Usually a linux box is cheaper because there are no high license costs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That comment I agree makes about 0 sense. Usually it's actually cheaper to rent the linux server. He has no idea what he is talking about.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1779750:date=Jul 16 2010, 01:20 PM:name=Zervun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zervun @ Jul 16 2010, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779750"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How many 32 bit win 2008 servers have you seen? I've seen 0. Being a security SE and security analyst, being in hundreds of datacenters (built 4 myself) almost no one uses 32 bit windows anymore server side at least for new deployments - with patches ending on windows of certain varieties everyone is migrating.

This isn't a linux vs. windows battle for me, it's a larger picture - the 32 bit choice only is poor especially restricted to windows. I think 2008/64bit is great (even though I still stick to my centos 64 bit). I can run a VM on the server and run this, but there are always performance issues.

Linux server runners have a major backbone in HLx servers. I run a TF2 server. I love NS much more ;) have been waiting for NS2. Regarless of what was released on the original HL1 engine, there was a massive number of linux servers. Yes this isn't the HL engine anymore and I totally applaud that, but you have to be multiple platform - especially to past server runners of the older version

We have people like me with some massive horsepower and community behind us that are running linux servers. I have no issues with the client being windows only now as I run win7 as my OS. I have nothing at all against windows servers in fact I have 2x 2008 servers but not with the same bandwidth/processing.

And this is with clause - but most windows specific admins do not have the capabilities to run/script a gaming server at least on what I have found. Most of the *nix related admins have to have some skills to be able to deal with things. Many of the things in past servers are very command line for getting what needs to be done. The money windows server runners are experienced with *nix, scripting whether it is perl/python/ruby or even batch. Most of the "common" generic windows server runners don't even know what a .bat file is.

Let us run our linux servers and promote the awesomeness of NS2. 32 bit win servers have seriously have to be in the minority. What person putting up a new windows server isn't going to do 64 bit 2008?

A 32 bit windows release is horrible. What is next solaris 8? We should really have 64 bit win 2008 and nix at the start over anything else.

And I'm totally sorry for being a stinker - it's just really frustrating. I DO want to help the community and have the power to do it, but I can't..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sigh. Linux WILL come. This is the alpha, give it time.
  • kr0nikwisd0mkr0nikwisd0m Join Date: 2007-03-11 Member: 60325Members, Constellation
    DAMN!! I just wanted to know if a dedicated server release was included in the Alpha. We don't have to whip out our servers and measure here..

Side Note: How about we release this early so we can test?!? Come on Devs!!
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779851:date=Jul 16 2010, 05:29 PM:name=kr0nikwisd0m)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kr0nikwisd0m @ Jul 16 2010, 05:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DAMN!! I just wanted to know if a dedicated server release was included in the Alpha. We don't have to whip out our servers and measure here..

Side Note: How about we release this early so we can test?!? Come on Devs!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wait.. so you want an early release of dedicated server stuff for the first release of an <i>Alpha build</i> so that you can test it? Really?

Anyways, I have faith in UWE to have tested enough that we will have some sort of playable Alpha on a dedicated server before the end of the day on the 27th. If it's earlier than that, I will be pleasantly surprised (unless server installations are distributed before the Alpha, of course). Less than 2 weeks!!
  • kr0nikwisd0mkr0nikwisd0m Join Date: 2007-03-11 Member: 60325Members, Constellation
    When I said:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about we release this early so we can test?!?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was referring to the server install only so we can setup before the release.
    <!--quoteo(post=1779851:date=Jul 16 2010, 06:29 PM:name=kr0nikwisd0m)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kr0nikwisd0m @ Jul 16 2010, 06:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DAMN!! I just wanted to know if a dedicated server release was included in the Alpha. We don't have to whip out our servers and measure here..

Side Note: How about we release this early so we can test?!? Come on Devs!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Incidentally my post had nothing to do with this guys rant - This post was in really bad taste =/ I don't want anyone to think that I'm not pleased with what they have done - I'm just disappointed that I can't use the product and promote it further. I wasn't er measuring anything. In fact I'd like to know what you are talking about ;).

This guy is ranting that he doesn't have his release yet...
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nothing is stopping anyone to run the 32bit exe on a x64 Win 2008.

In fact, I have not yet seen many programs taking large benefit from the 64bit architecture.

Btw. I also run Linux servers, but at the same time I dont think Windows servers are that bad.
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779886:date=Jul 16 2010, 06:21 PM:name=kr0nikwisd0m)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kr0nikwisd0m @ Jul 16 2010, 06:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779886"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When I said:

I was referring to the server install only so we can setup before the release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah.. but my thought was "How will you know if it is working or not without client downloads" but only time will tell. I think it would be nice to see a server release early too.. Having 11000 people trying to play on Monday with no servers will not be ideal.