NS2 graphics requirements

rdeverettrdeverett Join Date: 2010-07-11 Member: 72315Members
edited July 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">read title</div>Sorry if there's a thread regarding this already but, what do you'll think the minimum graphics card requirement is for NS2? I can't decide if I should
upgrade my old AGP card (around $100 for a better than average AGP 4x/8x card) or build a new system ($300-$400 for a half way decent set up).

Comments

• DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    no question, upgrade the whole platform. dont just get a new card, the new card will get you limping, but its just more money you'll have to spend later once there are no more decent video cards on agp. its just like with the earlier pci express cards, eventually the graphics power exceeds the slot it has to eventually squeeze through.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    My guess is that you need decent graphics card 512mb (gaming), double core prosessor 1/2G ram depending on your OS. I dunno about cards but google can help you out, what im sure is that minium requiments are off by decade.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    New system. Deffo.
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    I read AGP and stopped right there. Buy a new system ^^.
  • DaggialDaggial Join Date: 2005-03-04 Member: 43187Members
    AGP? hahahahah!!!!
    :/
  • rdeverettrdeverett Join Date: 2010-07-11 Member: 72315Members
    thanks for the info. I figured an overhaul would be necessary so that's what I'll do. I'm thinking an athlon x2 system with 1 gb of ram and either a 9500gt or radeon 4650. will this suffice for a budget build? I've been out of the hardware loop for a while (6800 gts were the top of the line last time I was up to date on hardware) so I could use a little help. thanks
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    1GB of ram is wayyyy too little. RAM is cheap as dirt these days, go for a 2gb minimum, and if you can afford it and aren't too afraid to move to 64 bit i'd advise 4gb at the vert least. Yes even for a budget system, 1 GB these days is nothing.

Grahpics card wise i hear the current ATI's are pretty good. Personally, as a gamer i would spend a bit more money here and get a good 5xxx series card, preferably the mainstream one for a budget rig (i'd go with 1 below high end for a mid-range rig). Mainly because games are still impacted the most by your graphics card, and you need to think about the future. Get a budget card, and you'll be upgrading again next year for crysis 2.

CPU wise... doesn't really matter. I got a Core i7 because i've got money to spend but for a budget rig you cannot beat the value AMD has to offer, so go with a phenom 2 something.

As a gamer and a sysop i just cannot reccomend spending $300-$400 on a rig. Because you get what you pay for, and with todays standards your most likely looking at buying another PC < a year from now, or alot of frustration over not beeing able to run a ton of other games. Spend atleast $800 and you'll end up with a rig that'll last a 2 year minimum. A new PC is a big expense, and if done right, one you don't have to do very often. or buy a $400 PC with good everything but a really crappy graphics card and upgrade when more funds are available.

To put it simply, crysis 2 is comming, and there's no way a $300 PC won't kill itself when booting up that game. $800+ i'm willing to give a fighting chance.

These days from $1200-$1500 gets you a rig that'll last you 4+ years with 2-3 of those playing games on the "high" setting, so that's what i personally spend, but it's all up to you and your personal situation of course.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    agp? Time to leave 2003 sorry bud.
  • rdeverettrdeverett Join Date: 2010-07-11 Member: 72315Members
    thanks for all the info TSS. I say $300-$400 is my budget because I have many components from my last build in 2004 so I really just need to buy a mobo, gpu, CPU, hdd, and ram. I'm not a huge computer gamer (stuck on ps3 for the time being) so I really just need a rig that can play NS2 and other equivalent graphics games. I loved NS1 so much that im basically building a rig just to play NS2 for a few years. Under these circumstances, would a slighly better system than the one listed above suffice for NS2? thanks again for the info
  • AezayAezay Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15660Members
    edited July 2010
    You don't have to be "stuck on ps3", build a proper PC and enjoy the better graphics and controls :)

As for CPU, go with either:
    1) AMD Phenom II X4 965
    2) Intel Core i5-750

When it comes to a motherboard, follow these guidelines:
    1) For AMD: Get a MB with an 870 chipset.
    2) For Intel: Look for a MB with P55 chipset.

As for a graphics card, I would recommend:
    1) ATI Radeon 5750 or 5770
    2) NVIDIA GTX 460

Then add 4 GB of DDR3 RAM.
  • HashashinHashashin Join Date: 2010-04-15 Member: 71416Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779919:date=Jul 17 2010, 12:44 AM:name=Aezay)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aezay @ Jul 17 2010, 12:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779919"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't have to be "stuck on ps3", build a proper PC and enjoy the better graphics and controls :)

As for CPU, go with either:
    1) AMD Phenom II X4 965
    2) Intel Core i5-750

When it comes to a motherboard, follow these guidelines:
    1) For AMD: Get a MB with an 870 chipset.
    2) For Intel: Look for a MB with P55 chipset.

As for a graphics card, I would recommend:
    1) ATI Radeon 5750 or 5770
    2) NVIDIA GTX 460

Then add 4 GB of DDR3 RAM.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He couldn't get half of that with 400 bucks.

Unless you have a really bad cpu/ram, just get the best agp card you can find, shouldn't cost much, and it'll probably end up running ns2 well enough, or spend at least 600ish to get a core2duo cpu and decent mobo, 4 gb of ram and a mid range video card.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    In response to the op, try to scrape beg and borrow about 400 more bucks and build yourself a new computer as Aezay describes.