How many more SE sales have their been since the announcement?

Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
<div class="IPBDescription">...and how many do you think UWE will get before the 26th?</div>I'm very curious as to how many people have been silently following the production of NS2. I know I have 5 friends who were waiting it out until alpha was announced and now purchased the SE because of the big news. Any estimates out there? how many people are you guys bringing into the alpha?

Comments

• ZimbuTheMonkeyZimbuTheMonkey Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72359Members
    The site has a timer now. Sales are going to skyrocket, people can't resist timers.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1779506:date=Jul 16 2010, 08:35 AM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 16 2010, 08:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The site has a timer now. Sales are going to skyrocket, people can't resist timers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Timers, cheeves, and flashy pre-order bonuses. Keep it up UWE.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    6. All of them from Slycaster.
    <!--quoteo(post=1779520:date=Jul 16 2010, 10:27 AM:name=Slycaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slycaster @ Jul 16 2010, 10:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779520"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Timers, cheeves, and flashy pre-order bonuses. Keep it up UWE.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was a joke, calm down.
  • DaggialDaggial Join Date: 2005-03-04 Member: 43187Members
    heeee i have many friends too that want to wait some responses from the community before buying it, but i'll try to convince them to buy now and avoid the prize increment XD
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1779524:date=Jul 16 2010, 09:37 AM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 16 2010, 09:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779524"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was a joke, calm down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But you're joke is actually pretty accurate. Timers do help. :P
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779506:date=Jul 16 2010, 08:35 AM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 16 2010, 08:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The site has a timer now. Sales are going to skyrocket, people can't resist timers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Effing timers, HOW DO THEY WORK?
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    It's not a timer for sales, it's a timer for excitement and awesomeness at least for the people who already preordered the SE ...
  • ExroathExroath Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72441Members
    I think it will boost sales , I was on the fence about just waiting and buying the retail instead , but then the post went out and I caved in .. damm you timer!! you win this time!
  • CXZmanCXZman Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70730Members
    No way near excitement here :) If it has to excite anybody, it'll definitely excite those who were still wondering about pre-ordering, not those who have already made their choice.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779554:date=Jul 16 2010, 11:33 AM:name=CXZman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CXZman @ Jul 16 2010, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779554"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No way near excitement here :) If it has to excite anybody, it'll definitely excite those who were still wondering about pre-ordering, not those who have already made their choice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, as someone who's preordered it's more of an irritation :P
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    32,000 pre-orders. That's my bet.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779577:date=Jul 16 2010, 01:12 PM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Jul 16 2010, 01:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->32,000 pre-orders. That's my bet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i was thinking roughly the same :) about 3x more then the original batch
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779541:date=Jul 16 2010, 03:34 PM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ Jul 16 2010, 03:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Effing timers, HOW DO THEY WORK?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Magnets make them work.

As someone who has already preordered, that timer is just taunting me. Reminding me just how long I still have to wait. :(
  • ArrowheadArrowhead Join Date: 2005-03-04 Member: 43198Members
    I heard about the Alpha coming out this month and I jumped. I've been popping in on NS2 every now and then. I never thought it was actually coming out. lol

Last time I checked, the engine test just came out. Thought it would be atleast another year until something playable would be released.
  • ShadowWolf1ShadowWolf1 Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9092Members
    edited July 2010
    I most certainly pre-ordered once I got the recent e-mail about Alpha. Been waiting a while to hear more about it, now that it's actually getting close, I was all over that. Boy...it's been a while. Haven't played NS in ages.
  • kinkoskinkos Join Date: 2004-01-30 Member: 25762Members, Constellation
    Oh man I feel like it has been at least 7-8 years since I first played Natrual-Selection. I definitely donated back then to become a constellation member to help out and was on the newsletter since. I can't quite recall if I ever donated after that but I have been reading each newsletter religiously. Finally when this one came out today I knew what I had to do. Ordered the Special Edition right away and can't wait till the 27th. : ) I am sure there are going to be a lot of people ordering from now till the next week or so.
  • BenaiahBenaiah Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22517Members
    I feel bad that i never donated as a constellation member. I was a poor student and didn't have a paypal account and blah blah... Well your timer made me cave.... SE it is for me.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Only the strong can resist.
  • ISRviperISRviper Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23412Members
    The timer did it for me aswell.... those guys at UWE know what they are doing. The second I saw that relase date for alpha, I got the SE.
  • Jarrik32Jarrik32 Join Date: 2010-03-21 Member: 71035Members
    It is official, even the mighty Jarrik cannot resist a timer, even though I've already pre-ordered the damn game and waited the better part of a year... even though I'm flippin skint and need the money to pay the electricity bill... I'm still gonna shell out another £14 (as of last night) for the upgrade simply because I have a week and a half left to push a button. I'm not sure Wether to fall to my knees and worship the business acumen of Unknown Worlds (as well as ask for a job; they're clearly doing something right...) or hide in a corner and cry.

kidding, kidding...

On a serious note what is it about timers/clocks/countdowns/Whatever that will make us Humies instantly commit to things, when otherwise we would hesitate? Look at closing down sales! they prices are usefully a fraction of their initial value yet the shop in question will inevitably make more profit in two days than it has made in it's total lifespan.

crazy...

For that matter look at any B-grade action movie, "you have three years to save your local village..." all in a wildly over-the-top voice, and then the Hero (it's always a man isn't it? the only movies 'starring' a woman usually have her spending more time prancing about saying "I really can save the universe with nothing but a skimpy bra and thong combo" only to realise the bomb went off ten minutes ago) charges round for 48 hours straight giving himself a hernia.

I digress, to comment on the initial question in this topic, I think the answer is yes and I doubt UW will have trouble saving up for the communal pot of beans for the next ten days... :)
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1780207:date=Jul 17 2010, 06:08 PM:name=Jarrik32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jarrik32 @ Jul 17 2010, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On a serious note what is it about timers/clocks/countdowns/Whatever that will make us Humies instantly commit to things, when otherwise we would hesitate? Look at closing down sales! they prices are usefully a fraction of their initial value yet the shop in question will inevitably make more profit in two days than it has made in it's total lifespan.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it's because it's a perpetual reminder that results in a sense of urgency. The fact that they used <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->red<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> words and numbers in the countdown is also a psychological trick. Now that i think about it... black armor (even though the current black armor is kind of green, everyone thought it was going to be black [and everyone still calls it black]... and that works the same i think)... hmmm, i think they spent more then 3 minutes deciding on how best to color stuff to sell the game.

<a href="http://www.infoplease.com/spot/colors1.html" target="_blank">http://www.infoplease.com/spot/colors1.html</a>

<u>Color Psychology</u>

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Red<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    The most emotionally intense color, red stimulates a faster heartbeat and breathing. It is also the color of love. Red clothing gets noticed and makes the wearer appear heavier. Since it is an extreme color, red clothing might not help people in negotiations or confrontations. Red cars are popular targets for thieves. In decorating, red is usually used as an accent. Decorators say that red furniture should be perfect since it will attract attention.

Black
    Black is the color of authority and power. It is popular in fashion because it makes people appear thinner. It is also stylish and timeless. <u>Black also implies submission</u> [that's an understatement... submission to the devs to fork over $40]. Priests wear black to signify submission to God. Some fashion experts say a woman wearing black implies submission to men. Black outfits can also be overpowering, or make the wearer seem aloof or evil. Villains, such as Dracula, often wear black.

--------------

Hmm i don't look at the timer and i feel fine (standard-issue pre-order forevar!!1).
    There is a lot of subconscious stuff going on with colours (okay this might be more related to beauty than colour but nvm)

- red lips indicate a good blood flow and thus youth, which is wanted for successfull reproduction; that's why women use lipsticks or that's why men get attracted by that.

- some time ago women used <i>Atropa belladonna</i> extracts for their eyes to widen the pupil, increasing the contrast between the black pupil and the white of the eye. The white of the eye is clear if you are young and healthy, if you get old it's more yellowish and not as pure => and again it's an indicator for youth and health ....

So what I basically want to say -> ###### timers, literally that is :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1780428:date=Jul 18 2010, 12:22 PM:name=1mannARMEE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1mannARMEE @ Jul 18 2010, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780428"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is a lot of subconscious stuff going on with colours (okay this might be more related to beauty than colour but nvm)

- red lips indicate a good blood flow and thus youth, which is wanted for successfull reproduction; that's why women use lipsticks or that's why men get attracted by that.

- some time ago women used <i>Atropa belladonna</i> extracts for their eyes to widen the pupil, increasing the contrast between the black pupil and the white of the eye. The white of the eye is clear if you are young and healthy, if you get old it's more yellowish and not as pure => and again it's an indicator for youth and health ....

So what I basically want to say -> ###### timers, literally that is :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lipstick is a vaginal thing (the way the labia engorges with blood), so I suppose your version is a kid-friendly way of putting it.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I bet there will be 9001 SE sales between the announcement and the timer ends.
    <!--quoteo(post=1780429:date=Jul 18 2010, 06:25 PM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 18 2010, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lipstick is a vaginal thing (the way the labia engorges with blood), so I suppose your version is a kid-friendly way of putting it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess it's both correct and I'm not sure if "my" version is that kid friendly either :P
    But who cares, wasn't this all about how many sales they got already after the sexy red timer thingy ?
    edited July 2010
    Anyone notice that the forum is both black, and sort of a brighter black behind the words.

I wonder if this to was a factor in making the SE output black. I mean the image on the top of the forum basically says green armor will not help you survive, and it's safe down here in the black behind the words. I mean wouldn't a shade of green be more associated with the TSA marines considering how all their equipment + armor (in NS1 and NS2) is green? Or maybe the devs are afraid that green = mental reminder of old NS1 and they instead want people to just think about NS2 + black armor?
  • EyelessEyeless Join Date: 2010-02-01 Member: 70391Members
    Timer until the big delay announcement!
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1780666:date=Jul 19 2010, 04:06 AM:name=Eyeless)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eyeless @ Jul 19 2010, 04:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Timer until the big delay announcement!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just no. Only delay i see possible is steam taking forever to download the alpha.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    any official word from the devs yet? I wanna know how active this alpha will be