Soo MACS Fly now?

JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
edited July 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">=D</div>EDIT: MASCs <----- LOL, what a typo I did.

Yeah itsa trollish post.

Just some light hearted fun. ^_^

Comments

• WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    Marines are OP!

what are drifters btw?
  • OptikalOptikal Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13583Members, Constellation
    Is that what the "nymphs" were renamed to? The alien "glowies"?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1778000:date=Jul 12 2010, 09:25 PM:name=Optikal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Optikal @ Jul 12 2010, 09:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is that what the "nymphs" were renamed to? The alien "glowies"?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes. The flying alien creatures that the commander controls (formally called "nymphs") are now called "Drifters".

The little flying robot that the marine commander controls are called MACS.

--Cory
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    MACs are the welder bots. MASCs are siege tanks. I'd suppose MASCs don't fly.

The name similarity does seem confusing though
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1778005:date=Jul 12 2010, 10:51 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jul 12 2010, 10:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778005"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->MACs are the welder bots. MASCs are siege tanks. I'd suppose MASCs don't fly.

The name similarity does seem confusing though<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed it does... i allready imagined flying siege tanks that would be serious business o_O
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited July 2010
    Drifters remind me of the really good chocolate bars called Drifers (Can you see how it remined me?)

So with that name they are probably really good!
    MACs remind me of computers...
    MACs and Drifters... Really good computers? Really good computer game! I've got it! Subliminal message!

Nah, I'm joking. Good Work it sounds pretty good. So is this how the Commanders build things. Eg: The Marine Commander makes the MAC go to a Resource Place and get's it to build the Resource Tower?
    Same for the Aliens? They also sound like they can attack but just the MAC at the moment with it's tank like ways.

The more realistic it is, the more people you will get to buy it. Hopefully.

Keep up the Great Work.
    I look forward to playing!

Edit:
    Oh yeah and flying tanks? That's crazy! You might as well have a helicopter with cannons on either side XD Pirate Helicopter.
  • ExplosifBeExplosifBe Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58284Forum Admins, Playtest Lead, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Who cares about MACs, MASCs or Nymphs? The game is progressing! And we even have a big annoucement today! That's all I need!
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1778005:date=Jul 12 2010, 04:51 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jul 12 2010, 04:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778005"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->MACs are the welder bots. MASCs are siege tanks. I'd suppose MASCs don't fly.

The name similarity does seem confusing though<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is true, but the MASC will end up being just the "Siege" like NS1, so it's fairly distinguishable from the MAC and the Siege.
    Also, for those that don't know, MAC stands for Military Automated Constructor.
  • lame-olame-o Join Date: 2010-04-24 Member: 71517Members
    edited July 2010
    I guess in the future Apple decides to devote its time to developing military equipment and drones? They're still pointlessly elitist though I assume, therefore I'm not going to ever play as Marine. Finally a way to kill Macs and Mac-fans!
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i just hope that have names so similar it doesn't turn into this : (watch from 4:23) <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0Xfqkgw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0Xfqkgw</a>

MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC.....
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    They don't fly, they hovar...
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    without flapping?

Screw MACs and MASCs i'll just call them weldbots and sieges.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778102:date=Jul 13 2010, 09:57 AM:name=Slycaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slycaster @ Jul 13 2010, 09:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778102"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is true, but the MASC will end up being just the "Siege" like NS1, so it's fairly distinguishable from the MAC and the Siege.
    Also, for those that don't know, MAC stands for Military Automated Constructor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, but it still seems pointless to have that possibility of confusion. Why couldn't it be something siegish in the official terms too? Having different slang ingame and in official documentation isn't nice.

At least differentiate them as "MAC Weldbots" and "MASC Siegetanks" or something.
    Indeed. Slang takes a bit of time to pick up, and can change from server to server (example: double/dres, rp/res...)

What would the beginner do when he's asked "go build that siege?"
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1778129:date=Jul 13 2010, 06:08 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Jul 13 2010, 06:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, but it still seems pointless to have that possibility of confusion. Why couldn't it be something siegish in the official terms too? Having different slang ingame and in official documentation isn't nice.

At least differentiate them as "MAC Weldbots" and "MASC Siegetanks" or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

MAC = Military Automated Constructor
    MASC = Mobile/Military? Automated Siege Cannon
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm already planning on calling them bob the builders. or just bob once it starts to catch on.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1778216:date=Jul 13 2010, 06:39 PM:name=Slycaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slycaster @ Jul 13 2010, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778216"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->MAC = Military Automated Constructor
    MASC = Mobile/Military? Automated Siege Cannon<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Now, let me see newbies memorize those or the non-abbreviated forms being used fluently in a easy-to-read guide.

Ingame I'm not going to:

1.) Start using 2 very similar abbreviations in my communication.
    2.) Start using 2 very long word combinations on a game that requires both ability to hear your surroundings and ability to communicate quickly in a exact manner.

So, how are newbies going to connect anything to the actual game?
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778004:date=Jul 12 2010, 10:48 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jul 12 2010, 10:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes. The flying alien creatures that the commander controls (formally called "nymphs") are now called "Drifters".

The little flying robot that the marine commander controls are called MACS.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Do they hover without flapping?
    <!--quoteo(post=1778234:date=Jul 13 2010, 02:44 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Jul 13 2010, 02:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778234"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now, let me see newbies memorize those or the non-abbreviated forms being used fluently in a easy-to-read guide.

Ingame I'm not going to:

1.) Start using 2 very similar abbreviations in my communication.
    2.) Start using 2 very long word combinations on a game that requires both ability to hear your surroundings and ability to communicate quickly in a exact manner.

So, how are newbies going to connect anything to the actual game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It just needs to be referenced that the MAC is called...the MAC, and the MASC is referenced in the short by "The Siege"

How many MACs do we have?
    Hey guys, do we have a siege?

These are very distinct.
    Well they will be called differently, no doubt about that, but why even have the initial confusion?
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778260:date=Jul 13 2010, 04:56 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jul 13 2010, 04:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778260"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well they will be called differently, no doubt about that, but why even have the initial confusion?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unfortunately MAC won over BAWB in the debate for the weld bot name.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    I don't know about you guys but I'm going to call them puffers and batters.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1778251:date=Jul 13 2010, 04:22 PM:name=Slycaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slycaster @ Jul 13 2010, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778251"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It just needs to be referenced that the MAC is called...the MAC, and the MASC is referenced in the short by "The Siege"

How many MACs do we have?
    Hey guys, do we have a siege?

These are very distinct.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where is it stated that the dev's are going to call MASC's sieges? If so, why even have the name MASC?

I think you're assuming the community will just assign the name "siege" to the MASC. You're probably right but why even have the official game call siege tanks MASCs if we can just avoid any confusion before it starts?

I was very surprised when they called the weld bot "MACs" when the siege tank is already "MASC." It doesn't really make any sense and i'm not sure how anyone can try to say both are 'very distinct' especially when you consider poor internet voice quality and accents across various regions.

BAWB was a much more clear name. It even sounds somewhat like "bot" which is what the weld bot is.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1778216:date=Jul 13 2010, 02:39 PM:name=Slycaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slycaster @ Jul 13 2010, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778216"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->MAC = Military Automated Constructor
    MASC = Mobile/Military? Automated Siege Cannon<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The new commander interface screen reveals MAC is "Mobile Automated Constructor", which makes more sense. Anyway... Steve, I think you should just let the problem work itself out. GP was the original designation of what we now call a Jeep. It stood for General Purpose. Not really a history lesson, but these things have a way of working themselves out - language is a really efficient and amazing thing. Don't worry so much!
    <!--quoteo(post=1778454:date=Jul 14 2010, 03:05 AM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Jul 14 2010, 03:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778454"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The new commander interface screen reveals MAC is "Mobile Automated Constructor", which makes more sense. Anyway... Steve, I think you should just let the problem work itself out. GP was the original designation of what we now call a Jeep. It stood for General Purpose. Not really a history lesson, but these things have a way of working themselves out - language is a really efficient and amazing thing. Don't worry so much!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If I saw "GP" in some list of military vehicles, I definitely wouldn't connect it to a jeep. In my opinion that clarifies the argument against rather than defends the present set of names.
    but you won't be looking through a list... and even if you were you'd see
    "general purpose vehicle" or
    "Mobile automated siege cannon"

Conversation would go like this.

Commander: Bacillus, defend the masc!
    Bacillus: what the heck is that?
    Commander: The seige cannon!
    Bacillus: why not just call it that?
    Commander: I don't care what you want to call it, call it grandma for all I care, just defend the thing!
  • StarClawsStarClaws Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9974Members
    Still gonna call em glowies :)