NS2 Map Index

DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
edited September 2012 in Mapping
<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Link to the Wiki: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Map_Index" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Map_Index</a><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

===================================================================

Update: 9/6/2012

Wiki seems the best way to use this for the moment. Once release hits, I'll do a revisit to how we want to organize a maplist. Probably only want to have maps fit a few different categories, such as [ Official ] [ Community Released ] & [ Beta / Alpha ]. Basically only maps in playable states, otherwise the list will just get bogged down with half-finished projects. The last list had about 50 entries with only 10% of those still in progress. Which makes me sad, because some of them were gorgeous!

One thing I'd like to ask of folks is to try and write a bit of backstory into your area, even if you plan on changing it later.

Comments

• DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    edited July 2010
    Took a break from the editor for a while, was taking some time to see what is all out there and thought that this sort of thing would be useful to anyone browsing this subforum. I've only made entries so far for maps that have individual threads. Hope you guys find this useful! I'll keep it updated as much as possible.

Fixed extra unnecessary color tags and added indentation. May remove this later, not sure I like the way it looks with it.
    edited July 2010
    Currently sorting in alphabetical order.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    edited July 2010
    You can add mine, Drown

Map Name: [ ns2_Iridium ] ] by Slycaster / Cyanide
    Tech / Res Nodes: [ 6 / 10 ]
    Completion: [ Production - 35% ]
    Iridium mining and extraction facility located underground. Back story to follow.

Link to my blog with updates is: <a href="http://mapprogression.tumblr.com" target="_blank">http://mapprogression.tumblr.com</a>
    Really like what you're doing, I'll get comp to sticky this when he's around.
    edited July 2010
    Not sure how I missed yours! Sorry heh.

edit:
    added yours!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1777378:date=Jul 8 2010, 06:01 AM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Jul 8 2010, 06:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777378"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not sure how I'm going to organize this yet, alphabetically by progress?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Alphabetical seems the best IMHO, easier to find "that" map with "that" name. Even if we have CTRL+F :P

Too bad the spoiler tags don't fold up like some forums do, that way it would be much nicer the read with the extra info hidden behind a button...

Also, maybe make use of the list and quote options to seperate the content and make it more readable?

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->[quote][list]
    [*][b]map 1 info [/b]
    [quote]and other stuff
    like links and so on...[/quote]
    [*][b]map 2 info [/b]
    [quote]and other stuff
    [*][b]map 3 info [/b]
    [quote]and other stuff
    [*][b]map 4 info[/b]
    [quote]and other stuff
    [/list][/quote]<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Or maybe the <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->[indent][/indent]<!--c2--></div><!--ec2--> instead of the list... Heck all of them are nice to use, I used the on my NS1 map threads...
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Dropped you a pm.

Good job anyway and I agree with Kouji, alphabetical order makes sense.
    Map Name: [ <a href="http://mapprogression.tumblr.com/" target="_blank">ns2_Iridium</a> ] by Slycaster
    <blockquote>Tech / Res Nodes: [ 6 / 10 ]
    Iridium mining and extraction facility located underground. Back story to follow.</blockquote>

Map Name: [ <a href="http://mapprogression.tumblr.com/" target="_blank">ns2_Iridium</a> ] by Slycaster
    <ul><li>Tech / Res Nodes: [ 6 / 10 ]</li><li>Completion: [ Production - 35% ]</li><li>Iridium mining and extraction facility located underground. Back story to follow.</li></ul>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tech / Res Nodes: [ 6 / 10 ]
    Iridium mining and extraction facility located underground. Back story to follow.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure I like any of these, but indent seems the best option...
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Hey Drown good idea with the map index I have finally posted my map thread <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=109962" target="_blank">here</a> if you don't mind adding it to the list. Thanks.
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    Please include my map with 6 Resnodes, and 8 tech. This will be a scattered layout. ( With a bit of ns1 feeling of course ;] )
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    edited July 2010
    Small correction ^^ prospecter will have 7 res nodes, not 9 (the spawn techpoints don't have a res node ontop of them :p, thats just to indicate starting points). Depending on testing though i could always bump it to 9 by adding res nodes somewhere else.

Great list though. sticky i say! STICKY!
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Map Name: [ ns2_Thedron ] by yimmasabi
    Tech / Res Nodes: [ ? / ? ]
    Completion: [ Planning ]
    Here is Thedron. Which has symetrical hive points<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->.

It is ok for now, but you can change "Completion: [ Production , 45%]" if it is needed. Tech/ Res Nodes still unknown. I need first maps and I have to check what is going on in new NS. Also waiting new objects,textures,items etc.

I can complete it in 2 weeks I think but I need more developments in SprakEditor, Textures, Objects and NS2 Game Engine. So final may be released after the first 5 or more official final maps released.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    Hey Drown, you've got a bit of formatting problems with mine and barlows name. Also you can update mine to 40% done.
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I'm not exactly sure if it's a good idea to keep track of development percentage. I was thinking of going through this kind of a structure for that bit...

[ Concept ]
    [ Planning ]
    [ Production ]
    [ Testing ]
    [ Released ]
    [ <insert current ns patch> Revised ]

Keeping track of production percentage might be beyond my ability to keep track of... but if folks post updates in the thread that should be easy enough. I'll reformat the colouration as well for now to include the percentages you guys want me to include. =)

I'm also considering just now, isntead of doing a revised bit including a bit that details something along the lines of a 'project last updated on so and so date'. Just so I can sort out projects (eventually) that are inactive and won't get released or fixed for new patches. Sort of like how Nancy got left behind in ns1 for a long while.

edit:
    Oh you just meant the /color issues.... heh!
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    I think it looks good as it is now (with the indent).

Shame there's no way unbiased way to add a star next to the AWESOME ones (e.g. sly / psyko / barlow, no offence at anyone else, they are just my personal favs).
    Why dontcha go with Alpga/Beta/Final instead of testing/released. Could add a version number as well i guess, once maps reach that.

And favorites... Lets not get into that and keep it objective. Even if i'd have the bottom map i don't mind but the really great ones will be included in the official release, and that'll make the makers enough of a star :P Lets keep the list just a list.

What would be awesome though is to make a "community map pack" and update it with all released maps for 1 single handy download. Just a .rar file with the proper files in the proper directories + a little credits.txt :p If all those maps on the list are going to be released it'll be a pain downloading them individually.
    edited July 2010
    Well if I added version numbers the problem exists is that I want to be able to maintain release versions for specific patches.

For example...

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>
    Map Name: [ ns_nancy] by lazer
    Completion: [ Release - patched for v. 3.2 ]
    Nancy, there was a hive that used to not have a name.
    </span>

alternatively

Map Name: [ ns_nancy] by lazer
    Completion: [ Released: current v. 1.47b ]
    Nancy, there was a hive that used to not have a name.

So I guess in review the second one is more informative for the intended audience of server admins and mapmakers alike who look to update the map for the server...or want to see how a person address certain issues. The first one just shows if the map has had a revision accounting for possible changes with a new patch. Guess the first one isn't necessary as you'd always want the latest release version.

Also, since alpha is near I'll want to figure this out pretty quick and since bet you guys are going to rush together early alpha tests of their maps to play with I want to add a download section for the compiled maps. And/or the uncompilable source files if you guys want. So the final format would be something like...

Map Name: [ ns2_name] by name
    Completion: [ Alpha - Version x.xx ]
    Download: [ here or here ]
    Source: [ here ]
    map blurb.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1778630:date=Jul 14 2010, 06:46 AM:name=Delphic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Delphic @ Jul 14 2010, 06:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shame there's no way unbiased way to add a star next to the AWESOME ones (e.g. sly / psyko / barlow, no offence at anyone else, they are just my personal favs).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll eventually add a way to differentiate any maps awarded with the official UWE seal of approval... such as if they get qualified for release with the game.

edit:
    But I'll still sort them alphabetically.
    final format looks good IMO ^^ contains all the info we need to know. Current version > patched for, since your always looking for the latest version anyway. If one where to specifically look for older versions i'd use this thread to get to the original thread and look there.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    Good job on the listing Drown, I'll try to update my map as soon as I get the internet back at home :D
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Map Name: [ ns2_grace ] by Thaldarin
    Tech / Res Nodes: [ 5 / 7 ]
    Completion: [ Production - 75% ]

Based upon the feel of a 'clean lab' design.

&

Map Name: [ ns2_eccles ] by Thaldarin
    Completion: [ Production - 30% ]

Industrial themed.
  • alibialibi Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69445Members
    I got a map/thread too so you can add me now!
    <!--quoteo(post=1779940:date=Jul 16 2010, 09:09 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 16 2010, 09:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779940"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Map Name: [ ns2_grace ] by Thaldarin
    Completion: [ Production - 75% ]

Based upon the feel of a 'clean lab' design.

&

Map Name: [ ns2_eccles ] by Thaldarin
    Completion: [ Production - 30% ]

Industrial themed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you set up a thread for these, or threads, let me know.
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    Please update production for ns2_Aleser to 20% :]
  • Ph33rSn1p4zPh33rSn1p4z Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72544Members
    Is it possible to add my map ns2_lost?

Map name: [ ns2_lost ] by Ph33rSn1p4z
    Tech / Res Nodes: [ ? / ? ]
    Completion: [ Production - 15% ]

A complete remake of the original and famous ns_lost map for NS2 gameplay, with extra features and secrets.
  • BrawBraw Join Date: 2008-03-21 Member: 63920Members, Constellation
    Guess you can list mine as dead, for the moment at least. Haven't got the time or will to finish it :(
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    NOOOOoooo... Braw, your map is one of thoes i look forward to be playing the most :(

All trow Braw some cookies and hugs, to motivate him again!...
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Map Name: ns2_skyfalls
    Tech / Res Nodes: 5 / 7
    Completion: 15%
    high altitude research facility.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111726" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=111726</a>
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    Map Name: [ns2_EVA] by slayer
    Tech / Res Nodes: [ 6 / 7 ]
    Completion: [ Production - 10%]

Edit:
    New thread: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111837" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=111837</a>
  • VaratharVarathar Join Date: 2004-03-17 Member: 27382Members
    edited May 2011
    Map Name: [ ns2_plant ] by perso and Varathar
    Tech / Res Nodes: [ 6 / 9 ]
    Completion: [ Production ~ 20% ]

<b>Thread:</b> <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112027" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=112027</a>
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    You can remove mine too, ns_quantum is dead, no more time for this sorry, it was good fun to work on that and on a texture pack. :)