What the heck is

TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
What is Whip Bombard ?

It is mentioned in post regarding damage types "StructuresOnly - Doesn't damage players or AI units (MASC, Whip Bombard)". If there is posts regarding this please paste it in this thread.

Comments

• SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    'Whip' is the name of one of the alien structures. I assume WhipBombard is going to be some attack ability triggered by the alien commander.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Gorges going to build "chambers" next to marine base sounds retarted and the alternative marines building next to a whip chamber sounds...

I think we are missing something crucial here :(
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    It's the siege cannon for the aliens.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1776331:date=Jun 27 2010, 09:54 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Jun 27 2010, 09:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776331"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorges going to build "chambers" next to marine base sounds retarted and the alternative marines building next to a whip chamber sounds...

I think we are missing something crucial here :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's alien commander placed as I understand.

It also has considerable utility with its ability to prevent PG rushes and secure an entire room against marine colonisation until it's dead.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    As far as I recall, PGs are no longer around in NS2. It has been mentioned that the IP will have a PG like squad spawn capability as long as there are squad members alive. It was also mentioned that squads would be handled automatically/dynamically based on proximity. This certainly leaves some questions about the squad spawn gameplay, but it sure sounds like a placeable PG would be fairly redundant.

It's all speculation for now. So much of the gameplay has evolved that it makes many of these comparisons to NS1 obsolete.

As for the whip bombardment, it sounds like something akin to a NS1 gorge's bile bomb. I'm a bit foggy as to how this will fit into the kharaa repertoire; I'd imagine there must be some other pieces to this that have yet to be disclosed.

I can't wait to see more info slip out from under the kimono.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    Also add that Marines probably can't Squad Spawn if the Squad Leader is surrounded by Dynamic Infestation(due to telemitry issues lore wise, and balance wise).

So no more Auto-Rape of Alien Spawn when 1 LMG Marine gets lucky sneaking by.
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    Also, if I recall correctly, if the marine is holding a shotgun he'll be able to charge and then activate auto-aim

that should stop those pesky fades
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited June 2010
    It's a chamber that punishes nearby aliens for not following orders.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776426:date=Jun 29 2010, 07:45 PM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Jun 29 2010, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a chamber that punishes nearby aliens for not following orders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Would be epic if alien commander could actually do that ;(
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    edited June 2010
    There was a twitter post a while back that links to an image of the concept art for 4 new alien structures with their names. I recall Whip & Shade as being two of the names. Can anyone find that picture? [found it! see below me... belooow me]

From what I recall. The whip is a type of offense chamber (Gorge has one OC and Alien Commander gets Whip, or vice-versa). There was a twitter talking about how Charlie was getting the whip to fail at marines.

However, I am just now noticing it being related to the MASC as being also and AI controlled unit... Interesting as it means it can probably move around and deploy to attack.

Found these tweets:

"The new offense chamber is called a "Whip" and I'm about to try to get it to actually flail nearby targets (range about 6 meters) #fb"
    den 1 juni 2010 22:18:27 via TweetDeck

"Gorge hydras (old OCs) are going on walls, right now! Works like the TF2 engineer turrets with "ghost" showing you where it will go. #fb"
    den 5 juni 2010 12:43:49 via web

"Just created "Fury" for the alien "Whip" structure. The Alien Commander can use it to give +10% damage to nearby friendlies (it stacks). #fb" den 25 maj 2010 12:12:01 via web

"Rough concept showing the alien structures and scale posted: <a href="http://bit.ly/bzIcF3" target="_blank">http://bit.ly/bzIcF3</a>"
    10:07 PM Mar 3rd via TweetDeck

[edited for clearness and to fix the facebook link]

[edit2] It certainly sounds to me like a Spine Crawler that can cast an AoE Frenzy.... sweet!
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776463:date=Jun 29 2010, 09:02 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Jun 29 2010, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776463"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->However, I am just now noticing it being related to the MASC as being also and AI controlled unit... Interesting as it means it can probably move around and deploy to attack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, it's AI controlled like all turrets and it's related to the MASC because it has the same damage type. I really doubt that they will be moving around.
    <!--quoteo(post=1776426:date=Jun 29 2010, 09:45 AM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Jun 29 2010, 09:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a chamber that punishes nearby aliens for not following orders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It smacks the Gorges extra hard, because they have more HP of course. ;)
    <!--quoteo(post=1776525:date=Jun 30 2010, 02:08 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Jun 30 2010, 02:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776525"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, it's AI controlled like all turrets and it's related to the MASC because it has the same damage type. I really doubt that they will be moving around.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It slithers like a snake, totally got it wrong. =D
    <!--quoteo(post=1776525:date=Jun 30 2010, 05:08 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Jun 30 2010, 05:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776525"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, it's AI controlled like all turrets and it's related to the MASC because it has the same damage type. I really doubt that they will be moving around.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, turrets use AI to fire but I think something else is up here that differentiates the Whip Bombard from turrets and OC's. From reading the following quote:

"StructuresOnly - Doesn't damage players or AI units (MASC, Whip Bombard)"

I get the impression that "AI units" is being used to differentiate them from structures including Hydras (new OC) and Turrets. Maybe the whip is not built in the traditional sense. Maybe it just shoots out of the ground all of a sudden (as a commander ability) and attacks for a set amount of time/damage before squealing and retreating. IDK but I think it's going to be something more exciting than "All turrets are AI units"
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Wouldn't the things in brackets be examples of things that use that damage type?

As in the MASC and whip bombard attacks are both of StructuresOnly type?

Not that whips are AI units.
    <!--quoteo(post=1776639:date=Jul 1 2010, 09:12 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jul 1 2010, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wouldn't the things in brackets be examples of things that use that damage type?

As in the MASC and whip bombard attacks are both of StructuresOnly type?

Not that whips are AI units.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Wow, good point there Chris0132, just checked the blog post (http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/2010/6/damage_types_in_ns2) and when read in context it's obvious that the stuff in the parentheses refer to the weapon that does that type of damage. Hah! I was really reading too much into that one line...

However I still stand by my statement that the whip is something more exciting that just some alien turret. So far we know. :P

Whip
    -may be able to flail at nearby marines
    -can bluff nearby alien attacks by 10% and this "spell" can stack
    -Has "Bombard" attack with "StructuresOnly" damage type.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    This discussion of the kharaa structures has really made me rethink what I thought I knew about the alien comm's gameplay. From the concept art, I now get an impression that some of these structures maybe more like temporary placables than lasting fixtures. Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer for more info on these details.