community problems

se8855se8855 Join Date: 2010-06-17 Member: 72082Members
edited June 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
Hey guys

I'm kinda posting anomalously here,

I hate to say it, it has been a recent mention that the community that I have faithfully been apart of might go under sometime in the near future

the only reason why we've kept going for so long is because our dedicated donator's (whom Iam apart of) which mainly the servers only have TF2 packed, but our L4D2 servers and our <i>only</i> ns1 server remains empty

we USED to be one of the top communities (hosted in the US) that hosted among the best ns1 servers (not even a year ago)

so I ask:

when <i>will</i> NS2 come out? If we are not able to host ns2 soon, we'll be looking at becoming debunked and closing shop :/

Comments

• RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    Between tomorrow and sometime mid august
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    I'm thinking...

it will be out on a Wednesday.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Hahahaha, if you think NS2 not coming out will kill the community, you're forgetting what about a year's worth of dead forms did to it. It takes more than a little waiting to kill us.

Team Fortress 2 took, what, 562 years? That's got a nice community.
  • se8855se8855 Join Date: 2010-06-17 Member: 72082Members
    honestly,

I'd think there would be a little bit more support then this, to either; troll, grief or just plainly don't see what's happening; I'm a little sad.

but still,

I'm not trolling or anything like that, look ask the admin whom I'm sure have my ip already logged, I have an active account which isn't banned or anything, just that under <i>that</i> name I'm known as one of that community.

I'm just not trying to *throws hands up* HERE I AM!!!

no, our base funding to run our servers is ran by our donators, we only got TF2 running now, like "TychoCelchuuu" said there is a very large community base for that, but how many of those is going to look at one particular community?

we're not for profit or anything, we're have been and always been running a very high quality server basis and the people whom used to be on it have been almost always been of high quality players, <i>and this is a public server on ns1!</i>!

...and the same goes for our TF2 servers, but until we see something that we can host on ns2, we're almost doomed because, I mean, what is there left that can actually be hosted that will work?

neotyoko failed royally and all... (i'm just saying)
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    NeoTokyo had the greatest potential that I've ever seen. The quality of that mod was extremely high, but I think the problem with it was two fold:
    1. It targetted a niche market. Not many people today like slow FPS games. They want fast-ish, modern themed games (at least as far as the round-based, multiplayer-only games go) and

2. Their marketting was an epic fail (read: non-existant). I actually stumbled upon the mod a long time, before it was released, by accident and a long time later I was thinking of mods I've been waiting for and with luck, remember it.

I don't think it failed royally because it took to long to come out. With that said, I partially agree with you about NS2 and the length of time that we've had to wait. I don't think this is entirely their fault however. I think the community itself, at least, most of the community has been... dumb... about it... which may or may not be its fault. The first problem was the Pre-Orders. NS2 needed some extra moneez (I think came out and just admitted that fact, right?). We as a community took this to mean that the game would definitely, absolutely, amazingly be out when they said it would be out. This was despite the absolute lack of any knowledge of content, before the engine was even ready to be shown to us. Whether or not the dev team was legit when they said they wholly planned to release in Fall 2009, the fact is we should have immediately questioned this statement. "Fall 2009? But you have no content." I think most of us took that release date and blew it way out of proportion when it didn't come out when they said it would come out. It was all just unrealistic and naive of us.

The other issue is that this part of the story is fairly normal. No game has captured the attention of its audience for very long. The publisher releases some content, a large community is founded, everyone jumps aboard the game train. They expect the game to come out immediately and every month that passes without the game, the numbers dwindle - the community members are off for their next big fix. Then, the game, once the item that everyone is talking about, is reduced for many gamers as an after thought - the game that you check back on every once inawhile. Also I'm going to say about 70% (Made up statistic? Does it get the point across? You bet!) have release dates that they don't make - especially internal release goals that just don't happen. The developers can either remove large chunks of gameplay features to ship the game to fans, or they can earn the disapointment of the fans they're trying to impress by not releasing and instead fixing bugs 1337 through to 9001 instead.

The Black Mesa Source community is a pretty good example of this rule. They've always gone by "It is done when it is done." Has that affected the community? You bet. There are a handful of people who keep that forum alive. People visit it "every once in awhile", but you know what? When it does get released, its going to be the most popular single player mod ever and everyone is going to forget how long it took to come out.

With that said, I'd like to take the time to pull the "they're a smaller game company than most" card once more, although not entirely in their favor. They are a small development company... independents... and I think that is the problem. They have two games under their belt and right now I think they're trying to compete with those larger development companies. They're trying to make uber awesome game #252 without the resources that EA or whatever game studio has at their disposal. I'm not say that they should sacrifice quality over quantity, or even sacrifice anything at all, but as much progress as they've already made, they aren't going to make this game as fast as we and they believe they will. Its going to take time, and they've been incredibly good with us so far IMO, with release the Engine Test and related tools, whether 70% of the community even cares about them or not.

Anyways, I think thats all I have to day about that. And if your community is going to die because NS2 isn't out yet... was it much of a community to begin with? Why can't you survive on TF2? CS? L4D? Just saying. If you want to win in the community game, differentiate yourself from the rest.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775239:date=Jun 17 2010, 10:26 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Jun 17 2010, 10:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hahahaha, if you think NS2 not coming out will kill the community, you're forgetting what about a year's worth of dead forms did to it. It takes more than a little waiting to kill us.

Team Fortress 2 took, what, 562 years? That's got a nice community.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

TC, he's not saying ns2's lack of a release will kill OUR community, he's saying that it will kill his, and is hoping for an answer/support.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Game community that has stayed vibrant? Civ4.

OMG Civ4.

You know you're special when a mod for the game is downloaded 500,000 times.
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775245:date=Jun 18 2010, 04:23 AM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Jun 18 2010, 04:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NeoTokyo had the greatest potential that I've ever seen. The quality of that mod was extremely high, but I think the problem with it was two fold:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That and Neo Tokyo is a total camp fest. Even in "competitive play" its about "rush a certain area/the ghost" and camp the rest of the map. Boring
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Unfortunately there is no release date right now. I am sorry to hear your NS1 servers are not being used these days, but there is nothing wrong with using them for other games until NS2 does come out. I know it's sad to see a community die away :(
  • kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
    Not to be a ###### or anything, but why would you run an NS1 server when the game is 7 years old now? People tend to find new things by then. Howabout run a 2nd tf2 server if its always packed.
  • Dante2500Dante2500 Join Date: 2009-10-17 Member: 69071Members
    I still play NS1.

So do lots of other people. That's why he has a sever for it.

But if it's dead, then replace it.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    edited June 2010
    I started playing NS1 again around ns2 engine release. The idea was to get some kind of training for ns2. While I re-mastered Lerk/Fade/Onos quite fast I never really got the hang of the skulk. I suppose thats because the skulk is so dependent of vents and attacking a team from behind. Knowledge of the map & most traveled route's is so important, and since I barely remembered the layout of any map...

That being said I do hope ns2 will be similar so I have a use for the skills I picked up, but different enough so new players don't start off with a disadvantage.
  • brownlitllebrownlitlle Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72588Members
    edited July 2010
    the same goes for our TF2 servers, but until we see something that we can host on ns2, we're almost doomed because, I mean, what is there left that can actually be hosted that will work?
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    you guys think your communites are bad... check out ausns2.com... nothing but a massive troll fest
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +10
    i think the running joke is it calls itself a fan site
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1775235:date=Jun 18 2010, 02:03 AM:name=se8855)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (se8855 @ Jun 18 2010, 02:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys

I'm kinda posting anomalously here,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you've posted here under another account your IP is logged and can be matched. If not, just be honest and tell us who you are and who your community is. You'll gain more support for NS2 doing so.
  • BoutrosBoutrosGhaliBoutrosBoutrosGhali Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33193Members, Constellation
    Another TF2 server? Trackmania? CoD? An NS2 alpha server?