NS2 release this summer still?

hotd0ghotd0g Join Date: 2004-03-19 Member: 27419Members
What do y'all think?
I think chances are pretty slim.

Comments

• LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I think I rather a good game than a rushed game. Don't care if I prepaid 40 towards it and since I've been secretly working on a map the more time the better :)
  • minimminim Join Date: 2009-05-14 Member: 67408Members
    A final 1.0 version? No way Sherlock, that's more likely to happen at say.. Halloween.

But a playable and fun alpha? Most certainly.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774904:date=Jun 15 2010, 12:13 PM:name=Lazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lazer @ Jun 15 2010, 12:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774904"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think I rather a good game than a rushed game. Don't care if I prepaid 40 towards it and since I've been secretly working on a map the more time the better :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed! +17
  • ParanoyakParanoyak Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67527Members
    i fking hope so.. considering they were planning on releasing the alpha a year ago, dont tell me they cant release something playable and enjoyable now..

its an alpha so it can upgraded at will after... i think that's now more than a year ago that i baught the game (because i saw "released fall 2009") so i wanted to pre-order to play alpha last summer and i got screwd like a lot of us.

i was ok about it then, cause yes with the money they had, they could make the game better, but come on! an entire year after i'd really hope they release it this summer, preferably like tommorow, but that's not gonna happen :s so ill settle for before july ? :s
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    meh, it'll be done when it's done. no sooner no later.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774913:date=Jun 15 2010, 01:06 PM:name=Paranoyak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paranoyak @ Jun 15 2010, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i fking hope so.. considering they were planning on releasing the alpha a year ago, dont tell me they cant release something playable and enjoyable now..

its an alpha so it can upgraded at will after... i think that's now more than a year ago that i baught the game (because i saw "released fall 2009") so i wanted to pre-order to play alpha last summer and i got screwd like a lot of us.

i was ok about it then, cause yes with the money they had, they could make the game better, but come on! an entire year after i'd really hope they release it this summer, preferably like tommorow, but that's not gonna happen :s so ill settle for before july ? :s<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not gonna happen. If you really mind so much you can get a refund; I wouldn't say that you got "screwd like a lot of us."
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not gonna happen. If you really mind so much you can get a refund; I wouldn't say that you got "screwd like a lot of us."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, no more refunds once you activate via steam.
  • vsyncvsync Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62602Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774904:date=Jun 15 2010, 01:13 PM:name=Lazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lazer @ Jun 15 2010, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774904"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think I rather a good game than a rushed game. Don't care if I prepaid 40 towards it and since I've been secretly working on a map the more time the better :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

rushed game? it has been what 4 years or something? I know these guys are doing a great job so far and it is extremely difficult to create a game like this with only a few guys but still we waited so long man..this summer it is..pls?
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    I predict the fade reveal to come mid-summer to get interest up again and then alpha shortly after. I'd say they'd risk losing too much attention if they gave us nothing playable this summer.
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    If we don't have an alpha at this point (and the fact that <a href="http://twitter.com/NS2/status/16236464970" target="_blank">heavies only just now exited the concept phase</a>) this game isn't going to be in final v1.0 form until late next year.

Possible playable alpha this year but that's probably the most we'll be seeing until 2011.
  • ParanoyakParanoyak Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67527Members
    yeah i saw heavy is still in concept, when i saw this tweet, i read "We are still drawing ideas of the game, it will maybe come next year".

But i really hope that they do a playable alpha without a heavy armor.. and then add it in the beta..

Well, if indeed we have to wait the fade reveal, and all the marines reveal we havent seen yet, to maybe hope for an alpha after that, the end of the world 2012 will beat NS2 before he got the chance to shine. :p

And for the love of god, dont push the release date to halloween cuz its symbolic, just release it already if u can :s
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774959:date=Jun 15 2010, 05:50 PM:name=Invader_Scoot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Invader_Scoot @ Jun 15 2010, 05:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If we don't have an alpha at this point (and the fact that <a href="http://twitter.com/NS2/status/16236464970" target="_blank">heavies only just now exited the concept phase</a>) this game isn't going to be in final v1.0 form until late next year.

Possible playable alpha this year but that's probably the most we'll be seeing until 2011.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So they have a play-testable version of NS2 with all the aliens modeled and mostly animated, marine weapons and alot of the structures for both sides "completed", but the lack of one class being in the game is enough to delay it for that long?

I highly doubt we will go more than one more month without having the Alpha released, in whatever form UWE decides to give it to us.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Well the Heavy wasn't even supposed to be in NS2. I'm still doubtful concerning the release date, but consider how the GL model was a last second addon in NS1 (or was it the HMG? In any case, a placeholder was used for one of them) I'm not as alarmed as I should be about this last twitter.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    What is this "still"?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1774959:date=Jun 15 2010, 10:50 PM:name=Invader_Scoot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Invader_Scoot @ Jun 15 2010, 10:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If we don't have an alpha at this point (and the fact that <a href="http://twitter.com/NS2/status/16236464970" target="_blank">heavies only just now exited the concept phase</a>) this game isn't going to be in final v1.0 form until late next year.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The heavy went through a "complete" concept phase months ago, however when the modeling process was begun on it, we realized it was not going to work out as well as expected, and not look as cool as it needed to given the time and money that would be spent on it, so we halted progress on it. We let it sit for a bit, worked on the rest of the game, and finally had time to revisit it, with a complete concept design overhaul.

And, the heavy was the last gameplay asset concept that was left. Except for the Heavy, every single alien and marine player model, view models and weapons, and structures have been concepted and modeled, and most of them have been textured, rigged and animated as well.

--Cory
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    edited June 2010
    Well i hope it's soon cause i believe they'll lose alot of potentially buyers when SC2 comes out.

Also i remember a post before about cory saying it wouldn't be a year until alpha release, and it was posted around august or so........ last year.

Found it: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107200&st=20" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....07200&st=20</a>
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1774991:date=Jun 15 2010, 08:22 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 15 2010, 08:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774991"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The heavy went through a "complete" concept phase months ago, however when the modeling process was begun on it, we realized it was not going to work out as well as expected, and not look as cool as it needed to given the time and money that would be spent on it, so we halted progress on it. We let it sit for a bit, worked on the rest of the game, and finally had time to revisit it, with a complete concept design overhaul.

And, the heavy was the last gameplay asset concept that was left. <b> Except for the Heavy, every single alien and marine player model, view models and weapons, and structures have been concepted and modeled, and most of them have been textured, rigged and animated as well. </b>

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hold on, I need to go grab a tissue.

<!--quoteo(post=1774992:date=Jun 15 2010, 08:23 PM:name=WarLover)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WarLover @ Jun 15 2010, 08:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774992"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well i hope it's soon cause i believe they'll lose alot of potentially buyers when SC2 comes out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really doubt that SC2 will have as profound an effect on NS2 sales as some people believe it will. They are completely different genres, and NS2 will be released months after SC2, and on Steam no less.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    There are quite a number of people who buy games like sheep, passing their allegiance from Counter Strike to StarCraft to WoW to Halo without thinking about the actual game's genre.

So I can see how an (over)hyped A++ game can steal sales from an indie developer.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    I just bought a new gaming rig and have about 8 games queued up ready to go so NS2 can take as long as it needs to take until it's perfect.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    im pretty sure they've done more then they are telling us
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Alpha probably comes out in Halloween, the entire game don't show up this year for sure.
  • ZupE891ZupE891 Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67623Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775018:date=Jun 16 2010, 02:24 AM:name=Tha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tha @ Jun 16 2010, 02:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->im pretty sure they've done more then they are telling us<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

haha believe me, they are telling us everything..

guys.. look to fall 2011, its more realistic
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1775029:date=Jun 16 2010, 08:25 AM:name=ZupE891)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZupE891 @ Jun 16 2010, 08:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->haha believe me, they are telling us everything..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wouldn't be so certain of that.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    If they are as far along as Cory says they are & with the playable engine test we already have, I would expect a playable Alpha release this summer, Beta by Halloween and release either Xmas or New Year.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I don't think anyone is particularly asking whether they are showing everything they've got or whether they should hurry up. The original question was whether NS2 gets a summer release and that doesn't seem very likely at this point.

I think the recent tweet and reveal activity could signal an approaching alpha somewhere late on the summer, but I don't think there's any way the actual release could make it to the summer unless the alpha is something closer to a late beta. They also still seem to hold back things like fade reveal, which probably means that they've still got some time to slowly bleed out the reveals rather than dishing out hype before the alpha.

As far as I've understood, they are planning to talk about the future schedule some time soon, after that we might have some faint idea of the actual progress.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774991:date=Jun 15 2010, 08:22 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 15 2010, 08:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774991"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The heavy went through a "complete" concept phase months ago, however when the modeling process was begun on it, we realized it was not going to work out as well as expected, and not look as cool as it needed to given the time and money that would be spent on it, so we halted progress on it. We let it sit for a bit, worked on the rest of the game, and finally had time to revisit it, with a complete concept design overhaul.

And, the heavy was the last gameplay asset concept that was left. Except for the Heavy, every single alien and marine player model, view models and weapons, and structures have been concepted and modeled, and most of them have been textured, rigged and animated as well.

Woot sauce.

Hopefully the alpha will be out this year.
  • sicbudsicbud Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68083Members
    I'm guessing that the alpha will be out by october, beta early next year, and the final game will be out october 2011. Though, things do seem to be speeding up a lot, considering these twitter updates.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1774991:date=Jun 16 2010, 11:22 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 16 2010, 11:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774991"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And, the heavy was the last gameplay asset concept that was left. Except for the Heavy, every single alien and marine player model, view models and weapons, and structures have been concepted and modeled, and most of them have been textured, rigged and animated as well.

Reading that part makes me yearn for the alpha.
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    Considering the infor where getting, the speed where getting them at and the amount already done ingame it's looking like we'll have alpha pretty soon. Only i'm betting that alpha in itself will last a long time trying to balance everything correctly and getting some left over assets ingame, before a beta can take care of the bugfixes.

I say alpha in 2 months, beta around the end of the year, release in feb 2011 :p
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    The whole "Releases Fall 2009" was imho a fail from some of this angel investor guys, who gave a talk about the case study on NS2 and said it would release Fall 2009 at the end of it. UWE somehow went with that rumor and maybe "used" that to get some additional preorders, but I'm not mad at it and I would never even think of mentioning that they screwed us in a bad way *lol* (pun might have been intended idk),
    because the guys who actually screw you with their games are the big companies like for example EA who release a sequel to every ###### game they can get their dirty fingers on every year, so you should never even dare to yell at indie developers especially not when they make something so sweet like NS2 (though the fps part of the game gets more attraction from inpatient people imho).

I say Alpha at the end of summer, beta for halloween or christmas and v1.0 (which is most likely comparable to any big companies final patched version) at the begining of 2011. This is my realistic view for the dates.