Will the Marine Laser come back?

JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
edited June 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Or more like actually be featured this time around?</div><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGnmoq8ztkY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGnmoq8ztkY</a>

As stated by me in another thread.

Figured I'd just ask and not it get buried in a thread somewhere into the forum.

Probably not for release when I'd assume if you want it in, but maybe when the Female Marine gets released later perhaps?

Comments

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Can't see why the laser mines should be in. The encourage passive automated defence while the present ones work more in tandem with the marines.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1774546:date=Jun 12 2010, 11:21 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Jun 12 2010, 11:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774546"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can't see why the laser mines should be in. The encourage passive automated defence while the present ones work more in tandem with the marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, Laser Mines always seemed a bit Special Ops, which the Marines just aren't. A helmet mounted laser sight would be awesome though, although again it does seem to Spec. Ops. ish. Don't really know what it would be useful for that a regular flashlight can't do better, unless I guess night vision was implement? In a game like Bad Company 2, the Red Dot is a scope upgrade that you can get but I've never seen a point for it. It supposedly helps you acquire targets faster...

Edit: And after Googling red dot scopes, I see that it really is just to help people know where they're aiming at. And I've never had a problem imagining the dead center of my scope, if there wasn't already a reticle on it, so its useless to me. I imagine an actual red laser attached to the Helmets of the marines would, while looking cool, be equally useless.
  • MortosMortos Join Date: 2006-11-28 Member: 58763Members
    I loved laser mines actually. Maybe they don't look the best, and can only work against lifeforms that aren't paying attention, but navigating past criss-crossing beams as a skulk while avoiding marine gunfire was one of my favorite experiences from ns1.
  • MuzzzyMuzzzy Join Date: 2005-07-20 Member: 56360Members
    Implement it in Lua...
    Oh yeah, never even thought about the laser sight, since it was hardly in the game itself. I actually think it could help coordinating a bit if people are able to point direction with it or have better sense where the rest of the squad are looking. Now that minimap is gone, it's pretty handy to have alternative way of knowing where your teammates are looking at.
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    Could be implemented as a toggle or something :)

To show up only if you want it to.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited June 2010
    The problem is that there's no reason to use it except atmosphere, you already have a crosshair. And before you suggest it, a lot of people will be very upset if you remove crosshairs, a number of which will just resort to old tricks like a bit of tape with a dot on the center of the monitor.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    Flashlight could work.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited June 2010
    This thread has nothing to do with Mines and Iron Sights... sigh.

I was thinking that when certain weapons get their "damage" upgrade, the laser sight would turn on when using that weapon.

Or when Marines hit Weapons 3(or whatever is the max upgrade) the Helmet Laser would turn on.

And yes it is useful to for teammates to know where you are covering, take Alien Breed: Impact as an example.

Another thing, this is one of those things that fits good for this games atmosphere, which was portrayed in NS1.

Maybe this will be one of the suprise type of things we will see in the Alpha, one can only wish for it.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    Actually it has everything to do with Mines and Iron Sights... its the laser part.
    The laser part on the mines acts as a trip sensor, so if something interrupts the beam, BOOM. The Iron Sight "apparently" helps people aim (although I have no evidence for that as the Red Dot in games hasn't helped me in the least). A laser beam on the side of the Marines head?

Why? I guess the "to let teammates know where you're looking" is a somewhat valid point, but I can get the same information by looking at the teammate in question or looking at the minimap. It would let the Aliens know what weapon level you have and it would pretty much serve to distract you, IMO.
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1774602:date=Jun 12 2010, 04:02 PM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Jun 12 2010, 04:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774602"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Actually it has everything to do with Mines and Iron Sights... its the laser part.
    The laser part on the mines acts as a trip sensor, so if something interrupts the beam, BOOM. The Iron Sight "apparently" helps people aim (although I have no evidence for that as the Red Dot in games hasn't helped me in the least).</b> A laser beam on the side of the Marines head?

Why? I guess the "to let teammates know where you're looking" is a somewhat valid point, but I can get the same information by looking at the teammate in question or looking at the minimap. It would let the Aliens know what weapon level you have and it would pretty much serve to distract you, IMO.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>Watch the video. This thread is not about the NS1 Mines or that it is another Iron Sight(<u>not gonna happen</u>) thread.</b> It is more about will the models be updated to include the visual Laser Sight from past concept art/videos. Did you even watch the video in the highest quality?

Last I heard the minimap was out, so the Helmet Laser Sight would be a good visual replacement(it is already part of the lore of the NS Universe anyways).
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited June 2010
    Might be good for aliens as it would help show them where the marines are looking. As well as for seeing where your guys are looking.
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1774612:date=Jun 13 2010, 01:34 AM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Jun 13 2010, 01:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Watch the video. This thread is not about the NS1 Mines or that it is another Iron Sight(<u>not gonna happen</u>) thread.</b> It is more about will the models be updated to include the visual Laser Sight from past concept art/videos. Did you even watch the video in the highest quality?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Next time it might be good idea to staple some of your thoughts into OP for clarification. I've seen dozens of laser related topics, so at least I'm kinda prejudiced to not even read them with proper thought unless there's some actual usermade content and thoughts on the first post.

:)
  • SyriquezSyriquez Join Date: 2005-01-29 Member: 38979Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774612:date=Jun 12 2010, 09:34 PM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Jun 12 2010, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so the Helmet Laser Sight would be a good visual replacement(it is already part of the lore of the NS Universe anyways).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wholly-visible lasers are a <i>bad</i> design decision; they look ugly and amateurish (e.g., lasers do not work that way). They should either mimic the real effects (probably a hell of a lot more work than is worth it) or just stick with a flashlight for the effect as presented in the video.
    <!--quoteo(post=1774612:date=Jun 12 2010, 07:34 PM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Jun 12 2010, 07:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Watch the video. This thread is not about the NS1 Mines or that it is another Iron Sight(<u>not gonna happen</u>) thread.</b> It is more about will the models be updated to include the visual Laser Sight from past concept art/videos. Did you even watch the video in the highest quality?

Last I heard the minimap was out, so the Helmet Laser Sight would be a good visual replacement(it is already part of the lore of the NS Universe anyways).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b> <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->...it's the laser part<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> </b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know what you were talking about... THE LASER. I got it. I was using the examples of Iron Sight and NS1 Mines because the laser on it actually represents something. The Mine activates when its laser is tripped and the Red Dot supposedly helps you acquire targets faster.
    And now I get that you just want a Laser attached to the head of the Marines that does absolutely nothing - it just looks cool. Sure the old concepts have it in it, and the tech of the HL1 engine probably wasn't up to the task of creating lasers on heads without a decent amount of FPS drop. The NS2 Engine is more than capable, but adding a laser to the side of the helmet won't do anyone any good - except for the Alien team. Besides, the heads up display that I believe will be visible on the player model at some point, already replaces the laser as far as flashy visualizations go.

You can do it in Lua?
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1774646:date=Jun 13 2010, 12:24 AM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Jun 13 2010, 12:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The NS2 Engine is more than capable, but adding a laser to the side of the helmet won't do anyone any good - except for the Alien team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually like the helmet laser for exactly this reason... it tells you when the dude at the end of the hall you're trying to sneak across looks away for a moment, so you can scuttle past the spot he's covering. Is there any good tactical reason for it? Not really. But it might make gameplay more interesting.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    I like gun mounted lasers better than helmet lasers.

A laser on a gun seems to serve better purpose; it helps shoot things better. In NS2 Marines will always be looking in the direction they are aiming, too.

In my opinion, it would look better, but have less funkster style.

I think if there is a laser for NS2, players should be able to turn it off for ninja mode when they need to sneak without pointing their lasers into walls.
  • KurvyKurvy Join Date: 2005-03-15 Member: 45406Members, Constellation
    edited June 2010
    I'd have to agree as well with bone. A laser on the helmet doesn't seem like a great idea because as realistic as developers are making ns2, How tacky would it feel to see a laser coming off the side of your monitor ?? A laser on the gun would be much better imo. This could even create much more interesting game play because aliens would know EXACTLY WHERE the marine is looking, allowing possible ambushing. Marines could possibly be aided to detect cloaked skulks, (that's if cloaking does come back)...the laser does not go through the cloaked skulk (revealing position), but not uncloaking the skulk. Get what I'm saying?
    To avoid tackiness/"what's with this red line?" you could always make it so that the player can't see his own laser. Not sure how well that'd work, but it's an idea.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Female marine should have laser boobs...

was that in bad taste? :\
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    JAmazon, don't turn this into a laser boob thread the OP would be really upset ...

btw whats the use of Lasers on your helmets (talking "real life" and ingame) imho completly stupid :( !
    Target designation/rangefinding for commanders over the tactical network is my only BS reason for 'em. Mostly I like the idea of making it easier for aliens to know which way the marines are facing :P
  • CookieCrispCookieCrisp Join Date: 2007-09-29 Member: 62472Members
    Hmmm why not just make it a display option for the people who actually find that it makes the game more interesting, sure to some people its useless, but thats why it can just be an option for people who think it makes the atmosphere of the game more to their taste (this is just my opinion). As far as aliens seeing it, well i was thinking maybe just make it a marine display option, but if they do make it so aliens can see it, o wth, it does bring back a classing ns view of the game :P
    This would be one of those nice touches to release with the Female Marine after release, it also affects the 5th pillar(Pizzazz).

It also does give visual feedback for the Aliens.

Think about the Shotgun Lights, if you know the Marine has 1 or 2 shots left, and he looks away, it is time to move in.

Also useful for teammates to point at something(since we can't physically do it ingame right now).

I'm sure we have all been in the situation where we wanted a fellow Marine to cover a paticular corner/doorway/hallway, but had no means to describe it quickly. The Helmet Laser fills that small hole. =)

And yes it looks cool.

And yes you could make it a toggle in options.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1774898:date=Jun 15 2010, 12:26 PM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Jun 15 2010, 12:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And yes you could make it a toggle in options.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is the only way it will make sense. Always on would be so annoying.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    In fact there doesn't need to be a laser that the aliens can see, because the marines have the visor... i.e. augmented reality... so with some form of gps/sensors-in-ship to determine location of the marine + some data about the path that a "virtual" laser is following... that all MARINES can see the virtual laser... and all aliens cannot. Therefore we can have a ton of lasers in play shooting from the marines helmet/eyes/weapons etc. And each player can customize the color of their laser to make it easer to spot.
  • vsyncvsync Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62602Members
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1774549:date=Jun 12 2010, 01:39 PM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Jun 12 2010, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774549"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, Laser Mines always seemed a bit Special Ops, which the Marines just aren't. A helmet mounted laser sight would be awesome though, although again it does seem to Spec. Ops. ish. Don't really know what it would be useful for that a regular flashlight can't do better, unless I guess night vision was implement? In a game like Bad Company 2, the Red Dot is a scope upgrade that you can get but I've never seen a point for it. It supposedly helps you acquire targets faster...

Edit: And after Googling red dot scopes, I see that it really is just to help people know where they're aiming at. And I've never had a problem imagining the dead center of my scope, if there wasn't already a reticle on it, so its useless to me. I imagine an actual red laser attached to the Helmets of the marines would, while looking cool, be equally useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

dude frontiersman aka marines ARE spec ops, indeed. read the story. they are the special guys who are good enough to face the biggest enemy of humankind although little is known about them. They are like Space Marines you know.