LAN support

DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
I see Starcraft 2, BFBC2, and other games going for internet authentication requirements and not offering LAN support. I'm wondering what UWE's stance on this is, and if NS2 will have functional LAN support that doesn't necessarily require an internet connection in order to play.

Comments

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    it's all done over steam don't forget
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I believe some steam games support direct connecting to a locally hosted server without requiring internet access. However, I don't know if NS2 will allow this.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Now personally I'm not too concerned about LAN for this game because I only LAN with <= 4 people, which makes for a boring NS game. However on principle I hope they do put in LAN. I decided not to buy either SC2 or D3 specifically because of no LAN... for the past 5 years I have played SC and D2 <u>EXCLUSIVELY</u> on LAN, so blizzard basically slapped me in the face by saying 'its uninmportant'
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The LAN parties have attended usually have at least 8 people. Sometimes as many as 20. That is a perfect size for a fun NS2 game.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774170:date=Jun 9 2010, 03:12 PM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Jun 9 2010, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774170"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The LAN parties have attended usually have at least 8 people. Sometimes as many as 20. That is a perfect size for a fun NS2 game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ding.

Also, someone code me up some bots I can slaughter with my buddies!

But seriously, I'm pretty hopefully on having LAN support. It really makes the internets faster.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I hope they will support LAN after release ( when they have enough sales ), releasing it with the game will only cause some people to download it and play it over hamachi or similer software.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    As is if this wouldnt happen ;)
  • KerotanKerotan Join Date: 2005-04-17 Member: 48692Members, Constellation
    Its shocking to think that we have to post concerns on the forums about LAN support for modern games these days :S

Im pretty sure every game with internet access only a few years ago was guaranteed LAN access. Should we start asking about Chat rooms now? :p
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774285:date=Jun 10 2010, 07:44 PM:name=Kerotan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kerotan @ Jun 10 2010, 07:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its shocking to think that we have to post concerns on the forums about LAN support for modern games these days :S

Im pretty sure every game with internet access only a few years ago was guaranteed LAN access. Should we start asking about Chat rooms now? :p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The new trend is killing off dedicated servers. While i'm pretty confident on the matter in NS2, modern warfare 2 dropped support and still sold like hotcakes, so they know they can get away with it. bad company 2 made it a selling point, actually having dedicated servers that is. But even there the server browser was messed up for a long time (lol at not counting reserved slots seperately) and the ping part of it *still* does not work.

I doubt they will tear out chatrooms completly but i wouldn't put it past say, EA, to build a draconian chat filter and leave out the option to turn it off.
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The only reason MW2 sold like hotcakes, because there is such a big userbase behind it they are willing to buy anything. Just like Apple (Ipad). Or Blizzard (Starcraft 2).
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    well, not to train wreck my own thread, but the iPad is pretty sweet.

To get back on topic,
    I help organize one of the longest running and largest lans in Canada, and participate in a 50 person lan every two months or so. The LAN experience is an important part of the game, but I do understand that we LAN gamers are a small minority community of an already small minority of PC gamers these days. As much as I hate blizzard for removing LAN support I just can't refuse to buy the product, it's too big... too many of my friends will play it and I've already enjoyed it in BETA. It's a good game, it's just sad what developers can get away with under the guise of a better, standardized experience.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    The iPad is great, so are all of Apple's products.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774285:date=Jun 10 2010, 12:44 PM:name=Kerotan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kerotan @ Jun 10 2010, 12:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its shocking to think that we have to post concerns on the forums about LAN support for modern games these days :S

Im pretty sure every game with internet access only a few years ago was guaranteed LAN access. Should we start asking about Chat rooms now? :p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fun story. The SC2 Bnet probably will not have the generic chat rooms. They think you only want to talk with your clans/friends
  • brownymasterbrownymaster Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68110Members
    To be honest most people never used those chat rooms, a majority wait at the custom game menu. I mean yeah you lose potential support for newbs but SC2 fixed the need for people who spammed "HEY SOMEONE PLZ MAKE _____" and stuff, no more "JOIN CLAN XXXX" spam that's in every generic channel of war3 and SC.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The SC2 Bnet probably will not have the generic chat rooms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually they've already said there will be chat rooms like before, they are just not available in beta yet.
    <!--quoteo(post=1774336:date=Jun 10 2010, 11:31 PM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ Jun 10 2010, 11:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The iPad is great, so are all of Apple's products.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The hardware is pretty good, but the rest, the apple regime, needs to be put down. A company doesn't have the right to dictate how I use the product.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774449:date=Jun 11 2010, 11:52 PM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Jun 11 2010, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774449"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The hardware is pretty good, but the rest, the apple regime, needs to be put down. A company doesn't have the right to dictate how I use the product.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While I'm no fan of the iPad, I'm pretty sure a company has the right to define how its own products are meant to be used.
    <!--quoteo(post=1774480:date=Jun 12 2010, 04:03 AM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jun 12 2010, 04:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I'm no fan of the iPad, I'm pretty sure a company has the right to define how its own products are meant to be used.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not entirely, they can SUGGEST how their products be used. Once it is in the hands of the consumer it is beyond the manufacturers control. However I'm pretty sure that Drown is referring to the often draconian measures that some tech companies (in this case Apple) take to keep their customers 'in check.'
    Nobody at Apple is going to bash your head in if you jailbreak it. However they're fully in measure to do everything they can to make you use their product the way it's meant to be used. The way I see it, whenever someone's buying anything they are not just buying the raw data enclosed, they also have limited access to enclosed intellectual property. The engineers' work does not simply go into public domain because a product is available to the public, and for that reason, the manufacturer does have the authority to tell the user how far his liberties reach. And it's up to the user to judge whether he accepts or not this policy.
    ok, I think this thread is turning into a 'copy-right philosophy' thread instead of a 'LAN in modern games thread.' However on the above note, I disagree. Viewing, or even copying intellectual property should not be illegal, <u>SELLING</u> the copy should be illegal. Somewhere in the litigation the distinction between copying and selling got blurred.

Consider an example: You go to the store and see a chair you like. Instead of buying the chair, you take pictures and measurements and build an exact replica of the chair from raw materials in your garage. Now I doubt anyone would dispute the legality of this (lets pretend the chair has some kind of copy-right/patent). Now it is only when you turn around and try to sell this replica that it becomes illegal.

Now, I have absolutely no knowledge about whats actually on the books regarding legality and copy-rights. So everything I say basically reflects my philosophy on the matter and not the reality.
    <!--quoteo(post=1774488:date=Jun 11 2010, 10:45 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jun 11 2010, 10:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774488"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the manufacturer does have the authority to tell the user how far his liberties reach. And it's up to the user to judge whether he accepts or not this policy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I view this to be a violation of my rights; no corporation should be so empowered to limit the liberty of a citizen. Microsoft isn't allowed to force users to use IE as their only browser (remember they got into a lot of trouble over this) and there would be a horrendous outcry if they tried to switch to doing what apple has been doing for decades.
    edited June 2010
    Well, the company also has rights. By using software against the way it's meant to be used is akin to trespassing. I think we're not quite understanding each other right here.

When I say that the manufacturer can tell the user how far his liberties reach, I mean that it is up to him to judge whether he has access to the brightness setting, how you access the web, how programs get to be installed, or how much of the source code you get to see. There is a whole range of liberties that you agree to prior to your purchase. Complaining that Apple should allow you to act as you please is like complaining that books should be printed in the font you like, or that Coca Cola bottles should be sold with Pepsi inside instead, because you prefer the Coke bottle shape, but the Pepsi taste. You can obviously buy the book, and then reprint it in the font you want, or you can fill a purchased bottle with whatever drink you want, however the manufacturer sells his products as is, and it's up to you to see if you accept the conditions of the sale.

What Apple doesn't do (and I'm sure that it's easy to think otherwise) is forcing you to use their OS. They sell a package as a whole, which includes the iPad, the operating system, the applications, and the App Store. You are free to use this package as you want, be it as a chopping board, as they planned, or jailbroken The have, however, absolutely no obligation (and no incentive) to help you in the jailbreaking procedure.

edit: and about that chair copying thing. The basis of most sales is that the completed product is worth more than its raw materials. That added value is the product of its inventor's work. The inventor's property can't be just copied, it's theft. Copying a chair from pictures is very similar to cloning a DVD (you take an image of the source, and then you reproduce it bit by bit on your hard drive)
  • MemnarchMemnarch Join Date: 2010-03-18 Member: 71003Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @JAmazon:
    Your example doesnt fit.
    Your example is like:

Taking a look on a game, then start to programm a game that looks and feels like this game(a game clone).

This way it might look like the original game/program but the source code is generated by yourself.
    The only problem here is the productname and not the entire product.
    <!--quoteo(post=1774553:date=Jun 12 2010, 02:17 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jun 12 2010, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, the company also has rights. By using software against the way it's meant to be used is akin to trespassing. I think we're not quite understanding each other right here.

What Apple doesn't do (and I'm sure that it's easy to think otherwise) is forcing you to use their OS. They sell a package as a whole, which includes the iPad, the operating system, the applications, and the App Store. You are free to use this package as you want, be it as a chopping board, as they planned, or jailbroken The have, however, absolutely no obligation (and no incentive) to help you in the jailbreaking procedure<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They do enforce their OS and through that, the app store, though. If you read through that momentous 64 page document it actually results in voiding your warantee. I am certain that if they could get away with it, they'd outright deactivate your device if you jailbreak it.

While I agree that they do have certain rights, it shouldn't allow them to be the sole arbiter of software. Intel in the past took extreme measures to try and force AMD out of the market by not releasing new chipset information to manufacturers who produced AMD motherboards. Motherboard companies had to produce them in unmarked boxes on boards. Microsoft, in turn, could not say that itunes is an illegal program and can't run in their OS. Why then is apple allowed to be the sole arbiter of a domain.

If I went into the countryside, and founded a city, would I not also be accountable to the country in which I lived. Or would I be allowed to run my city as a communist/authoritarian dictatorship as I pleased. Certainly I can draw up bylaws and don't have to give the mayor a pig every harvest like other cities, but I must follow the strictures of my society.
  • nirvanaXOnirvanaXO Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70747Members
    What came first the chicken or the egg?
  • nirvanaXOnirvanaXO Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70747Members
    Disregard that last post I've come across memory loss excuse me.
    They don't enforce their OS. You're free to install Android, or even anything else if you manage to do so. They're just selling a complete system. The difference with Windows bundles is that it is possible to obtain only Windows, or only the hardware. It is impossible to get an iPhone without the OS and vice versa.
    I know that it's a very fine line, but what Apple does only involves Apple, therefore it is not comparable to selecting your commercial partners. Don't get me wrong, I still find that despicable on their part, but they're not doing anything wrong. Just keep away from Apple, it's not as if you didn't have a choice.

And concerning the App Store: just like any store, the retailer decides what he puts in stock. Did you ever complain because McDonald's didn't sell Whoppers? If you want some other program, your best bet is to go ahead and get to the Cydia store.

Also, the chicken came before the chicken egg. If the egg came before, it wouldn't have been a chicken egg (rather, it would have been an egg of the ancestor species)
    <!--quoteo(post=1774449:date=Jun 11 2010, 03:52 PM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Jun 11 2010, 03:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774449"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually they've already said there will be chat rooms like before, they are just not available in beta yet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Last I heard from the CEO....
    <a href="http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128014" target="_blank">http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessag...topic_id=128014</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Another thing I thought you'd promised was chat rooms within Battle.net...</b>

Nope. No plans for specific chat rooms at this time. You'll be able to open up chats direct with your friends, and when we add clans and groups there'll be chats for your clans and groups, but no specific plans for chat rooms right now. Do you really want chat rooms?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Has there been a PR fixer released?