The Optimistic Libertarian

locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">From a guy called David Brin</div>While he tends to use some inflammatory language he also eloquently states what turns me off about the Libertarian party. I also think it's awesome he gave this speech at the Libertarian Party National Convention, because they are probably the only party that would invite such a view point. It's a long but interesting read if you are in a political mood.

<a href="http://www.davidbrin.com/libertarian1.htm" target="_blank">http://www.davidbrin.com/libertarian1.htm</a>

Comments

• juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    I would consider myself a libertarian, lower-case "L", even though I have already thought about, discussed, and agree with most of what Brin says in his speech. But stereotyping of libertarian thought is just as mundane as the good old left-right paradigm, though, and the recent rise in libertarianism is excellent stimulus for greater discernment between shades of ideology/pragmatism and for conceptual growth of both those who agree and disagree with its core tenets. I think we have already seen changes in discourse within libertarian thought and influence with mainstream political ideas over the past 4 years.

Example:
    It used to be that libertarians were seen as the defenders of corporations. Now you can believe corporations are the greatest threat to freedom and still be libertarian. In fact, you must be...
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774143:date=Jun 9 2010, 02:04 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Jun 9 2010, 02:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774143"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Define "freedom".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"The ability to do what you want as long as it doesn't impede the rights of others or create a situation that has a high probability of impeding the rights of others."
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I would offer and alternative definition:

"Freedom is the ability of the wealthy and powerful individuals and groups to apply their power and wealth to achieve whatever goals they deem desirable, without the hindrance from nation states, public opinion, moral or ethical codes or inconsiderate acts of differently opinionated individuals or groups of lesser wealth and power. Only societies that allow unhindered application of the above mentioned ability can be called 'free'."