Hammer -> Spark: Adjustment Process

tetsu0tetsu0 Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71670Members
edited May 2010 in Mapping
<div class="IPBDescription">Im suck in the Hammer mindset.</div>Back when i first heard about NS2, i pre-ordered the game JUST so i can mess with spark. I watched a few tutorial videos, and i dabbled with lighting and basic rooms and such. But i feel that no matter how long i play with the editor ( i have provably 40+ hours with nothing to show for it ) i still feel very unfamiliar with the editor and the way levels are built. Spark feels more like AutoCAD than anything else, and i'm having trouble letting go of my brushes.

Essentially i'm reaching out to any mapper who was used to Hammer [Worldcraft] and has made the transition to spark. Some of the geometry i can easily make in hammer i cannot for the life of me figure out how to do with spark. -This could be due to the early releases and the bugs, but after watching some of Barlow's Youtube videos and seeing how effortlessly he has crafted his maps, it makes me feel like i'll never grasp it..

Often i start a map with a layout, create a box, fill the box with models and light, then modify the geometry within the box to my liking.. But would it be easier to just start with a single floor plain and build the level up around it, one face at a time?

Comments

• ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I always map the same in any program, whether or not it's faces or brushes. Just makes what you want from the inside and worry about the outside (if it's a 3D brush) later.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    When I first got Spark, Within 30 mins I had binned off the Top, Side, Front views that I had always used in Hammer and now have done every single thing entierly in the Perspective 3D view.
    I can not for the life of me use the 2D Views in Spark. So thats the first thing I suggest, to take the tools to the 3d view and start drawing lines and squares in it.

Press ALT+W to goto full Perspective mode and give that a go.

You dont need to seal the level like you did in Hammer. This thing is a soup where Models and Geometry are treated the same and all provide the culling.
    Some props need a black backing wall purely because they have a little hole in them where you can see the skybox through it buts its rare..

Some of my replies to others might help as well:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=109503" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=109503</a>

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=109488" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=109488</a>
  • Smeg]-[eadSmeg]-[ead Join Date: 2010-05-01 Member: 71582Members
    I pretty much do exactly what Barlow said to do. I know in Hammer I had to rely on the top, side, and front views to line everything up and all that good stuff, but with Spark I only use the Perspective view. I can't do anything with the other views. They are only good for me to see a bunch of lines and nonsense. Also, I love how you don't need to have everything seeled for your map to run right and not have leaks. Spark is amazingly awesome and I think is light years ahead of Hammer. At least it will be once they fix some performance issues and add in the other features of a editor. I love it and is much more simple and easy to use than Hammer, IMO.

Only thing I don't get is for the spot light. It has the "atmospheric" option which I would assume gives that impression that the lighting is from outside or a natural source. Except when I check out my map in game.... the lighting just appears the same as any other. No difference. Anyone know if I am confused on what that option is supposed to do or is it just not supported to work that way yet?
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1770877:date=May 11 2010, 11:56 PM:name=Smeg]-[ead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smeg]-[ead @ May 11 2010, 11:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    with Spark I only use the Perspective view. I can't do anything with the other views. They are only good for me to see a bunch of lines and nonsense. Also, I love how you don't need to have everything seeled for your map to run right and not have leaks. Spark is amazingly awesome and I think is light years ahead of Hammer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? The 2D views are very useful for exact placement on the grid, especially if you have to align anything that's not 8/16 up correctly. I find it very useful for what I will say below.

Also the subject of 'leaks' has interested me because Spark does technically have a leakage system, it's just not highlighted by hall of mirrors. If you don't successfully seal your level in from the void, via models or 'facery' you will still see performance hits. Why? The engine can see through that and renders the area head which it may not need.

The overall effect of removing HoM and there being a lesser performance impact is great, however you still need to affectively seal your level or you will find dodgy performance hits can occur. To point it out run around the spawn of DM2, I believe the current engine test does have a 'sealing bug' so to speak of, and on the left hand side where you spawn, you can actually see in wireframe a hallway way in the distance being drawn. That's the sort of thing that can impact performance drawing way ahead of it's time when sealing does not work correctly.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1770877:date=May 12 2010, 12:56 AM:name=Smeg]-[ead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smeg]-[ead @ May 12 2010, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Only thing I don't get is for the spot light. It has the "atmospheric" option which I would assume gives that impression that the lighting is from outside or a natural source. Except when I check out my map in game.... the lighting just appears the same as any other. No difference. Anyone know if I am confused on what that option is supposed to do or is it just not supported to work that way yet?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its Volumetric Light and it's currently Disabled.