Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - Engine Progress

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - Engine Progress here

Comments

• Quantum StrangerQuantum Stranger Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69531Members
    First. and good stuff.
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    anti-aliasing (MSAA) Yummy xD
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2010
    thanks for clearing things up!
    love that you're improving the engine for weaker systems!
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    Glad to hear you're not dead. Yet.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Good stuff, good stuff.
    Especially the optimization. I know my laptop has a fairly lousy CPU but the performance I got from the game was 7-12fps on max settings (I can take the hard fact that I have to upgrade but it would be nice if I wouldn't have to spend thousands of SEK to play this)
    Keep it up guys!
  • ns_insiderns_insider Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62484Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    this looks soo amazing :)

the final version will detonate like a bomb.
  • nadylinadyli Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62791Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2010
    So within few weeks we'll get another update about our polished alpha, nice.
  • BiGBearKeithBiGBearKeith Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15805Members
    Man that video looked awesome. I'm going to have to order a replacement RAM chip for the one that burned out so my PC can handle this smoothely, but that map looks awesome. Keep up the good work.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    Incredible looking map, keep up the good work SgtBarlow.

Can't wait for the alpha guys, plod on.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We've been keeping a close eye on the community's modding projects and we have a few things planned for the next patch to make life a little bit better for them. The biggest thing for modders will be the documentation on the Lua scripting API exposed by the engine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please also release a description of NS2's network protocol.
    Not necessarily next week, but when it's final.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    To be honest what the modding community really needs is an official server browser, chat and scoreboard. Just some ghetto placeholders would do fine. That would provide a good multiplayer framework and greatly increase awareness for the fact that you can even play it online - right now nobody's playing it so I think the mod devs are running out of steam. Auto-loading of the server's lua files would help a ton too.
  • AlleyAlley Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71334Members
    yay, a stable engine test is all that I need to finally start mapping for NS2 :D
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1768496:date=Apr 23 2010, 08:12 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Apr 23 2010, 08:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be honest what the modding community really needs is an<b> official server browser, chat and scoreboard.</b> Just some ghetto placeholders would do fine. That would provide a good multiplayer framework and greatly increase awareness for the fact that you can even play it online - right now nobody's playing it so I think the mod devs are running out of steam. <b>Auto-loading of the server's lua files would help a ton too.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT. I will have a hell of alot more interest in noodling around with NS2 next Friday. Hopefully some windowed/no border support will be released and a few of the things Zek brought up will be added. Connecting through Hamachi is fine but text chat at this point is a giant pain and to connect at this point we have to download lua files, copy them into a folder, start NS, and then connect manually and it just becomes rather menial if the lua code is being updated by the modder. As much as I don't really care for this week's "update", I can't wait for next week's.
  • qwiggaloqwiggalo Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42564Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1768500:date=Apr 23 2010, 09:42 PM:name=Rehnquist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rehnquist @ Apr 23 2010, 09:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768500"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->QFT. I will have a hell of alot more interest in noodling around with NS2 next Friday. Hopefully some windowed/no border support will be released and a few of the things Zek brought up will be added. Connecting through Hamachi is fine but text chat at this point is a giant pain and to connect at this point we have to download lua files, copy them into a folder, start NS, and then connect manually and it just becomes rather menial if the lua code is being updated by the modder. As much as I don't really care for this week's "update", I can't wait for next week's.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed, getting people motivated to test will help you guys out IMO
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1768496:date=Apr 23 2010, 09:12 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Apr 23 2010, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be honest what the modding community really needs is an official server browser, chat and scoreboard. Just some ghetto placeholders would do fine. That would provide a good multiplayer framework and greatly increase awareness for the fact that you can even play it online - right now nobody's playing it so I think the mod devs are running out of steam. Auto-loading of the server's lua files would help a ton too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree 100%
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1768496:date=Apr 23 2010, 09:12 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Apr 23 2010, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be honest what the modding community really needs is an official server browser, chat and scoreboard. Just some ghetto placeholders would do fine. That would provide a good multiplayer framework and greatly increase awareness for the fact that you can even play it online - right now nobody's playing it so I think the mod devs are running out of steam. Auto-loading of the server's lua files would help a ton too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, the lua download would be an excellent idea.
  • yodayoda Join Date: 2003-11-27 Member: 23619Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow that map looks amazing, magnificent even!

Cant wait to see the cave sections with DI growing.
  • CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1768500:date=Apr 24 2010, 01:42 AM:name=Rehnquist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rehnquist @ Apr 24 2010, 01:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768500"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->QFT. I will have a hell of alot more interest in noodling around with NS2 next Friday. Hopefully some windowed/no border support will be released and a few of the things Zek brought up will be added. Connecting through Hamachi is fine but text chat at this point is a giant pain and to connect at this point we have to download lua files, copy them into a folder, start NS, and then connect manually and it just becomes rather menial if the lua code is being updated by the modder. As much as I don't really care for this week's "update", I can't wait for next week's.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd like to second the request for windowed/noborder support. I loved it so much in TF2 I wrote a program to automatically remove the border from NS1 windowed mode. Official support in NS2 would be cool.
  • ToHiForAFlyToHiForAFly Join Date: 2010-04-24 Member: 71516Members
    I've never been so amused about a game being developed since the creation of GW. Good job guys!
  • Mr H-KMr H-K Join Date: 2010-01-18 Member: 70199Members, Reinforced - Gold
    think we need a clean up on isle 3 please, and I'm not ashamed
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice Read!

Friday updates always give me good feelings about this.
  • lillbrorsanlillbrorsan Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20060Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Glad to see you are working hard and close to with the community on this.
    Also id like someone to post a proper way to compile a model for NS2 soon as mine always misses the texture for it :<
  • ZenothZenoth Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22662Members
  • CenturionCenturion Join Date: 2005-07-15 Member: 55987Members
    Great stuff.

And people need to remember that this is still an <b>Engine Test</b>, it's not even an Alpha yet.
    Zek said that people are not playing it yet. Play. That's exactly what they don't want people to do yet. They first need to improve the engine performance and bugs, and then they will release a playable version aka Alpha.
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    Great to see alt+tab is being looked at/worked on. I'd love to hear that fullscreen is in that same boat.

Meanwhile, the youtube video is fantastic - great work on the map - the only concern for me is there were some metal structures embedded in the cave walls - without a proper playtest as a skulk: I have some concerns regarding them: They could be used as cover, but they inhibit the flow of the wall, thus hindering skulk wall-walking movement. I was also going to state that it needs more vents, but that was sated after the first minute - esp, the part where the camera appears through a vent/fence of sorts. Keep it up! Fantastic work! I'd love to see that map in Alpha.
  • AezayAezay Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15660Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most of the crash reports from the built-in reporter were related to situations where the graphics device was lost. This happens when you alt-tab away from the game in fullscreen mode, or when the screen saver comes up. This week Kurt added proper handling of these cases in the engine. This was a complex change so we plan to release that next week after some more testing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I hope this means we'll be seeing a borderless windowed mode, I love games with this feature, as it allows you to easily tab out and browse the web or just send an IM etc.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1768554:date=Apr 24 2010, 09:52 AM:name=resresres)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (resresres @ Apr 24 2010, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768554"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Great to see alt+tab is being looked at/worked on. I'd love to hear that fullscreen is in that same boat.

Meanwhile, the youtube video is fantastic - great work on the map - <b><!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->the only concern for me is there were some metal structures embedded in the cave walls - without a proper playtest as a skulk: I have some concerns regarding them: They could be used as cover, but they inhibit the flow of the wall, thus hindering skulk wall-walking movement<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b>. I was also going to state that it needs more vents, but that was sated after the first minute - esp, the part where the camera appears through a vent/fence of sorts. Keep it up! Fantastic work! I'd love to see that map in Alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who really knows how the devs will make wallwalking work. I for one would very much like that they avoided the AVP 2010 approach where basically every little wall detail makes your view skyrocket out 90 degrees from the walls normal. It would be great if the wallwalking code analysed the next perpendicular level geometry polygon or model the front legs were reaching and if it is smaller than a certain value, the view doesn't change and the skulk simply steps over the obstacle in a dynamic animation kind of way eg. leg on obstacle crouches keeping low while hindlegs stretch and continue walking until they reach the obstacle and vice verse.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    alternatively they could make it so that there is some maximum rate at which the players view angle can be modified. This is how portal does it.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I thought we already knew they weren't rotating the viewmodel? It's cool looking but it inhibits gameplay IMO.