Discuss: See Own Body

2»

Comments

• whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, it is a very nice feature. I like looking down a hole and seeing my armored legs standing on the edge which gives me a more bulky feeling.

I wonder how difficult it would be to implent it.. in the end it will surely get modded.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    From my own perspective, I honestly don't care at all, aside from maby liking the idea of it being a little easier to ensure my bounding box is correctly above the platform I'm standing on when I'm trick jumping or something.

I've had alot of friends say it adds immersion for them, so I think it's a good idea to implement, unless it proves to be exceedingly non trivial anyways.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    edited April 2010
    Immersion aside, if other players can see your shadow then it is pretty important gameplaywise that you be able to see it too.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1765918:date=Apr 11 2010, 11:10 AM:name=slayer20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slayer20 @ Apr 11 2010, 11:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765918"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I prefer not to see my body when playing. I think it's more immersion imaging my body there instead of actually seeing it. And really, legs get in my way when I look down :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

<!--quoteo(post=1765922:date=Apr 11 2010, 11:19 AM:name=Wisp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wisp @ Apr 11 2010, 11:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe they should take out the gun model and the aliens and you can play in a great big grey box, so that way you can 'imagine' everything. It would be far more immersive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not very applicable because, as all of us have arms and legs, not all of us are pointing a gun at a screen.

But that aside... my feet are very attractive.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1765739:date=Apr 11 2010, 06:48 PM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Apr 11 2010, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->See your own body isn't so important.
    what's would be cool would be to see our own shadow when moving<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    but wouldnt seeing your shadow but having no body be contraproductive towards imersion? <.<
    <!--quoteo(post=1766349:date=Apr 13 2010, 05:32 AM:name=whoppaXXL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whoppaXXL @ Apr 13 2010, 05:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, it is a very nice feature. I like looking down a hole and seeing my armored legs standing on the edge which gives me a more bulky feeling.

I wonder how difficult it would be to implent it.. in the end it will surely get modded.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah, i want plush gorge slippers..
  • kflow47kflow47 Join Date: 2008-10-09 Member: 65154Members
    In fact that UWE is a small developer team I really think they should care about more important things.
    And I think when you need to kill two skulks you don't give a ###### about seeing your character's legs xD
    Sorry but I didn't read the thread at all forgive me please ^^
    <!--quoteo(post=1766675:date=Apr 14 2010, 06:29 AM:name=kflow47)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kflow47 @ Apr 14 2010, 06:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In fact that UWE is a small developer team I really think they should care about more important things.
    And I think when you need to kill two skulks you don't give a ###### about seeing your character's legs xD
    Sorry but I didn't read the thread at all forgive me please ^^<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

shun the nonbeliever
    ...shuuuunuh

but yeah, i guess there are more important things to finish right now.
    and whoa, i havent even realized yet that l4d2 does not show your own body...
    there you can see how important it realy is... XD
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    I really liked it, I used to always look down as I jumped gaps in the first Left 4 Dead because the first person jumping animation was so badass, made you feel like you were in some kind of action film. Maybe. I likes it anyway. First thing I noticed in the L4D2 demo was the lack of legs.

Other games too, I think it adds a good deal of connection between your floating avatar and the game world, you can accurately see where you're placed and it does add a feel of bulk and weight. It's not essential and not game breaking, but a very nice feature to add, makes it feel a lot more polished.
  • HakujinHakujin Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16157Members, Constellation
    +1 vote for being able to see your lower body. Better immersion!
  • centaur2048centaur2048 Join Date: 2009-03-24 Member: 66886Members
    As a gameplay programmer, my response to this is:

Would you rather have heavy armor? Or a full body 1P rig?

Feaaaaature creeeeeeep :)
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It costs frames and the "pro" people will disable it if given the option.
    But this goes hand in hand with my request to drop the viewmodel system and stick to the worldmodel system used in Operation Flashpoint.
    I think its well done there, too.