Gamingbolts "15 Modders who changed gaming"

Dante2500Dante2500 Join Date: 2009-10-17 Member: 69071Members
<a href="http://gamingbolt.com/2010/03/20/15-modders-who-changed-pc-gaming/" target="_blank">http://gamingbolt.com/2010/03/20/15-modder...nged-pc-gaming/</a>

It's a very interesting read, and I've used probably all of these mods at one point. I have to say they deserve it.

Congrats guys. Unknown Worlds came 7th for modding Half-Life into NS1.

Read and comment :)

[Couldn't find a more suitable place for this topic ;D]

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    But... no Fall from Heaven?????
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Not bad, but I think it is more accurate to say:

#1: Gooseman/Cliffe
    #2: Team Fortress team
    #3: Flayra

and after NS2 is released, UWE goes to the top of the list.
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    tripwire got placed over TFC? and garrysmod over counterstrike? I'm sorry but that article is biased as hell - garrysmod didnt change PC gaming in the slightest.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2010
    Counter-Strike coming in second is probably the funniest thing I've seen so far in 2010.

(there's been no shortage of hilarity either)

Congrats to UWE though, definitely deserves to be on that list.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Pfft, that list has Desert Combat, but not Forgotten Hope a bf1942 mod (GTFO!)
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I like how firewater ends up being in almost every NS ingame screenshot you'll see in reviews and press coverage.
  • tankefugltankefugl One Script To Rule Them All... Trondheim, Norway Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8641Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    "Changed gaming"?

The title is very much misleading; it's not as much "changed gaming" as "honorable well-deserved mentions to well-crafted mods", with mods such as a bugfix mod ranked #14. And I don't understand how it gets away with not mentioning DOTA and Tower Defense due to innovation, and NOT putting CS as #1 due to its tremendous impact as both a full game and a mod.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    I think CS changed gaming in the sense that it forced everyone to consider mods more seriously, and TF actually paved the way for that a bit.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I think in general we all agree that this list is made of bull.
  • JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1760978:date=Mar 24 2010, 05:17 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Mar 24 2010, 05:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like how firewater ends up being in almost every NS ingame screenshot you'll see in reviews and press coverage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hahaha I didn't look that close at the shot until you mentioned this, but if you zoom in you'll see there's a death notification and I'm the victim. I'm pretty sure that was taken by Flayra during one of the 3.0 Playtest sessions.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited March 2010
    Alternatively, that is such a horrible screenshot. It looks like total ass, you have damn near every color in the visible spectrum somewhere in there, atrocious-looking contrasting, and just... crap happening to the extent of 'what the hell *is* this?'.

Also the list is stupid-terrible.

#15: Alien Swarm - The mod was fun but it was short, felt unfinished (at least when I played it) and... well it was indescribably hard. A good mod but to say it 'changed gaming' is ridiculous.

#14: Oblivion Bugfix - First of all, Oblivion is the single worst game ever burned onto a DVD. Anyone who wasted their life making mods for it deserves to be butchered for meat. Secondly, it's a bugfix. There's hundreds of these out there. What makes this one better than the fixes for Vampire: Bloodlines or even Baldur's Gate?

#13: Multi-theft Auto - This one could be on there. Good times, a technical achievement... did it CHANGE anything? Don't think so.

#12: CnC All Stars - Again, while it might be a cool mod, how did it change anything? DotA has spawned dozens of knockoffs as well as retail games, so why is this better than DotA? Though maybe unlike DotA, All Stars might actually not be stupid.

#11: Oblivion decapitation mod - are you serious? This is almost as stupid as nominating a bugfix pack. The <a href="http://www.freewebs.com/aerelorn/Combat%20Enhanced.htm" target="_blank">same mod was done for Morrowind</a>, and I consider *that* one to be even more impressive given the constraints of the engine they had to work with. Not to mention, Morrowind wasn't Oblivion.

#10: Mechwarrior: Living Legends - Oh hell yes. While you could say the mod didn't 'change' anything, it did three things right. First of all, MASSIVE technical achievement. Second, it's a Mechwarrior game, the only new one we've gotten since 2003. Finally, it's OFFICIALLY SANCTIONED, which is pretty impressive for a mod. Could open the doors for things.

#9: Desert Combat - Probably direct inspiration for BF2. Good mod I guess, but I completely lost interest when it was bogged down up its own ass with obsession with more ###### to fill the game with. "OH ###### WE NEED SEVENTEEN DIFFERENT STYLES OF HUMVEES ON THIS MAP!!!!!111111". Suffered from the same problem BF2 did though where aircraft just own everything and that's that.

#8: Stalker Complete - I just played this mod! Is it awesome? Yes. Did it change anything? No. It's really impressive work, but I wouldn't consider a glorified tweak/reskin mod to be anywhere in the same territory as a TC.

#7: Natural Selection - Definitely should be on there (durr). A technical achievement, massive popularity, and extremely innovative concepts (RTS/FPS, asymmetrical sides).

#6: Team Fortress - Probably #1 most influential mod. Pretty much invented class-based warfare (or at least popularized it).

#5: Soviet Company of Heroes thing - Same thing as previous entries. Neat? Yes. Technical achievement, innovative, etc? No.

#4: Total War Darthmod - See #5.

#3: Red Orchestra - Should be on the list. I think it's a terrible game, but ultimately it paved the way for other hyper-realistic games (Project Reality, for example).

#2: Counter-Strike - Durrrr....

#1: Garry's Mod - I can't call Garry's Mod a technical achievement. Everything it does was done by Valve. I can't call it innovative because it doesn't 'do' anything - physics games have been around for ages, and GMod wasn't actually a physics *GAME* until a long while after it existed, when it supported .lua coding. A cool mod, but certainly not this-list-worthy.
    <!--quoteo(post=1761632:date=Mar 29 2010, 08:58 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Mar 29 2010, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also the list is stupid-terrible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed.
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    Garry's Mod didn't change gaming! It changed the hell out of YouTube, though.

But gaming? Nah. Unless you count the fact that the sheer number of modders that play around with Garry's Mod outnumbers the majority of other games put together. Then, sure.
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation