Hives, only one total? Or just start with one in fixed place?

Thraka2Thraka2 Join Date: 2002-12-03 Member: 10426Members
I believe I read in the FAQ awhile back that there is a single hive at the start of the game in a fixed location (meh) but is the upgrade system the same? So the aliens want to still run to the other possible hive locations and build more to enable the next level in evolution?

Comments

• TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    No idea they havent introduced any second hive abilities and theres only 1 hive starting spot so I guess the later hives have some other meaningless reason.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited March 2010
    One starting hive. One starting marine spawn.

If a tech point is captured by marines it adds another CC to add buildings.
    If a tech point is captured by aliens it adds another hive to add buildings.

More tech points allows further expansion up the tech tree.

I think that's the jist of it.
  • FreddehFreddeh Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18520Members, Constellation
    I'm relatively certain that the Kharaa get more abilities based on the # of hives as well still. So one ability at 1 hive, two at 2, and their final 3rd ability at 3. (I'm also relatively certain that there are only 3 abilities now, but each of those has an alternate fire so its more like 6 abilities).
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    I pretty certain that Lerks "roost" ability aint worth 3 hives. But yea more "chambers" with hives would make sense maybe even faster spawning but still very dull.
    I thought the roost ability was just going to be a feature of the lerk class, not an actual ability. Especially considering you're supposed to be able to use other abilities while you're roosting :P.
  • BigTextBigText Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63231Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758630:date=Mar 11 2010, 05:08 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Mar 11 2010, 05:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One starting hive. One starting marine spawn.

I think that's the jist of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm quite sure you're just completely wrong.

Adding a CC per point is useless, and while I believe they mentioned the possibility for multiple commanders, it shouldn't be necessary to have more than one.

I'm quite sure they'll be sticking to the three-hive system, or at least multiple hives, considering how many times they've talked about the skulk having leap "with the first hive."
    <!--quoteo(post=1758639:date=Mar 10 2010, 12:37 PM:name=BigText)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigText @ Mar 10 2010, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm quite sure you're just completely wrong.

Adding a CC per point is useless, and while I believe they mentioned the possibility for multiple commanders, it shouldn't be necessary to have more than one.

I'm quite sure they'll be sticking to the three-hive system, or at least multiple hives, considering how many times they've talked about the skulk having leap "with the first hive."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm rather certain that its confirmed that there will be a CC per point along with the hive per point that aliens get. It could have changed from when they talked about it to now, but I highly doubt that.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1758639:date=Mar 10 2010, 08:37 PM:name=BigText)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigText @ Mar 10 2010, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm quite sure you're just completely wrong.

I'm quite sure they'll be sticking to the three-hive system, or at least multiple hives, considering how many times they've talked about the skulk having leap "with the first hive."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your theories are wrong compared to my correct and confirmed information. Thank you.
  • GregzenegairGregzenegair Join Date: 2009-06-26 Member: 67944Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758648:date=Mar 10 2010, 10:37 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Mar 10 2010, 10:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758648"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your theories are wrong compared to my correct and confirmed information. Thank you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you for spreading the truth.
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758630:date=Mar 10 2010, 01:08 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Mar 10 2010, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One starting hive. One starting marine spawn.

I think that's the jist of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hold up.. does it add the Hive/CC automagically, or does the team have to build it?
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1758639:date=Mar 10 2010, 01:37 PM:name=BigText)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigText @ Mar 10 2010, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Adding a CC per point is useless, and while I believe they mentioned the possibility for multiple commanders, it shouldn't be necessary to have more than one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think it will be required to have a commander in each CC. As for everything in the post you quoted, like people have already said, it's all been confirmed.

<!--quoteo(post=1758665:date=Mar 10 2010, 02:59 PM:name=Kwil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwil @ Mar 10 2010, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758665"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hold up.. does it add the Hive/CC automagically, or does the team have to build it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We haven't been told how building stuff will be like in NS2, it could be different. I'd kind of like to think that they got rid of "hold e wait 20 seconds," but maybe it's part of the game. I assume that the commander will be involved with placing ("capturing?") the tech points, but that's just conjecture.
  • Thraka2Thraka2 Join Date: 2002-12-03 Member: 10426Members
    I think it would be cool for the aliens to be allowed to build the hive anywhere (with some limits) and give some sort of bonus for how well it's built. if you put it in an area that is big and open as opposed to some tiny location, or better something if you build it farther from the other hives as opposed to close.

Maybe if you build farther, it improves build time for other buildings (some sort of times factor) and if it is in a bigger location, then your building limit increases greater. and maybe things like hive health is greater etc..
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    It has been shown that official maps will have 6 tech points. Each team needs to control and occupy 3 tech points to achieve the highest tier of tech. Hives and comm stations will be the structures occupying these tech points. The starting locations will be fixed for both teams. It has been said that a map could have 5 tech points which would only allow one team to achieve teir 3 tech at one time.

The extra comm stations and hives will allow for multiple commanders. The functions of extra comms hasn't been discussed anywehre I know of.
  • BigTextBigText Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63231Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758643:date=Mar 11 2010, 06:29 AM:name=Freddeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Freddeh @ Mar 11 2010, 06:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm rather certain that its confirmed that there will be a CC per point along with the hive per point that aliens get. It could have changed from when they talked about it to now, but I highly doubt that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo(post=1758648:date=Mar 11 2010, 06:37 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Mar 11 2010, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758648"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your theories are wrong compared to my correct and confirmed information. Thank you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo(post=1758653:date=Mar 11 2010, 06:42 AM:name=Gregzenegair)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gregzenegair @ Mar 11 2010, 06:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thank you for spreading the truth.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo(post=1758668:date=Mar 11 2010, 06:59 AM:name=noncomposmentis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noncomposmentis @ Mar 11 2010, 06:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758668"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think it will be required to have a commander in each CC. As for everything in the post you quoted, like people have already said, it's all been confirmed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I sincerely hope that UWE is smart enough to make the game significantly less retarded than you all seem to want it to be. I'd like to see where HURR DURR LETS HAVE A BUNCH OF COMMAND CHAIRS was confirmed.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1758720:date=Mar 11 2010, 02:47 AM:name=BigText)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigText @ Mar 11 2010, 02:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758720"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I sincerely hope that UWE is smart enough to make the game significantly less retarded than you all seem to want it to be. I'd like to see where HURR DURR LETS HAVE A BUNCH OF COMMAND CHAIRS was confirmed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One more thing - in NS2 there are no hive rooms per se and the marines can't build their Command Stations anywhere. Both teams must build their Hives or Command Stations at special points on the map called "tech points". Building here lets the team have the ability to have another commander, and also is needed for "teching up" to tier 2 or tier 3.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/4/marine_power_grid_design" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009...wer_grid_design</a>
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758720:date=Mar 11 2010, 03:47 AM:name=BigText)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigText @ Mar 11 2010, 03:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758720"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I sincerely hope that UWE is smart enough to make the game significantly less retarded than you all seem to want it to be. I'd like to see where HURR DURR LETS HAVE A BUNCH OF COMMAND CHAIRS was confirmed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't burn your mouth eating those spicy words.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    edited March 2010
    Maybe you people should just read the FAQs and search through some of the News Archives before making suggestions based on nothing, but your imagination ...

I can also recall a post about the dual commander thing, that it might not make it (I'm too lazy to search for the official post though, but only to nullify my criticism :P)

EDIT: to the orignal question: They've also said that the Hive and Marine Start will be fixed at the release, but that they would like to have random start positions for both teams later on (more dynamic and so on) so you can have different matches based on those locations, for example if the bases are close to each other it will be an intense match and not that tech heavy as two far away bases might be. (and again it's way too early in the morning for me to search you those official posts, but you can all do it yourself :) 4:18 am here ... )
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2010
    Pretty much as everyone else has said:

Tech Points: Hive and CC locations to be built upon.
    The more Tech Points a team has, the higher tier they are in tech and abilities, etc.

A captured Marine Tech with a Command Station on it allows power to flow into that room. Any room with resource towers that are connecting to that room also have power from the power grid system. If a third RT/room is connected those three rooms have power. If the 2nd room's RT gets destroyed, that 2nd room loses power, along with the 3rd Room that has no connecting room. This is how the power grid system works.

It is speculated that Infestation will work in a similar way, but it's also speculated that the Alien Commander has control over where to place the infestation.

DO NOT THINK THAT I'M RIGHT ABOUT THE ALIEN COMMANDER STUFF PLEASE.

Otherwise everything about the power grid is completely true that I have explained and how Tech Points work.

And yes, it's called the Command Station now, which has also been confirmed by the devs.

And I wish people would stop calling the Assault Rifle the LMG.

The assault rifle is pretty much the only primary weapon that gets upgrades such as the GL, and such. I believe the only other primary weapons are the shotgun, and the flame thrower but the flame thrower may also be an attachment. We shall see what happens.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    there will be multiple commanders(more then 2) apparently so uh they need more then 1 cc and hive for each team? tech points seem the most sensible way for it to happen.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    @Crispix: I thought there was a mini-gun for the heavys?
  • Thraka2Thraka2 Join Date: 2002-12-03 Member: 10426Members
    Thanks for the clarification. :) It sounds neat and now I remember reading that at some point.

It's still fun to speculate and think about how it *could* have been. We should be able to mod and give it that feel if we wanted.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    I used the search links on <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Sources_of_Information" target="_blank">NS Wiki</a> to look for the comment about NS2 multiple commanders, but I wasn't able to find it, so maybe it was either a tweet or I overlooked it or it's not true and there will be multiple commanders in the latter case I'm sorry for the confusion ...

So if you ever wonder if anything is true, check those NS wiki links to all of Cory's Matt's Charlie's and Max's posts its quite usefull.
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    edited March 2010
    Basically, the marines tech up like the aliens do now. They are both restricted to tech points on the map, where the marines in NS1 were restricted by time and resources. Now both aliens and marines are restricted by Time, Resources, and Location.

I actually made a suggestion to unrestrict the aliens, and make them tech like marines in NS1. This suggestion can be read in my framework for design at <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=98671&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...c=98671&hl=</a> However, I feel that these changes will give the aliens a better chance against the marines, regardless of team size.

It would be interesting to see if the aliens and marines can keep the tech that is researched with additional tech points/hives even when it is lost. Making the battle over RTs even more crucial.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    edited March 2010
    I would imagine that the marines would have some similar functions as the aliens in NS1 with regard to tech. This being that if marines tech up to 3 tech points and lose one of the tech points, all of the existing tech (exo-heavys/JPs/MASCs and other tech structures) will continue operations just fine. This would be similar to NS1 aliens losing a 3rd hive while still retaining the chamber upgrades and higher lifeforms. As long as the marine structures are still standing the upgrades would continue to be in effect. Losing a tech point would just disallow new construction of 3rd tier tech structures and equipment. Flamer thrower exo-heavies guarding the MACS would still retain their upgrades for as long as they lived.

The one flaw in this supposition is how the kharaa abilities were tied to living hives in NS1. When the 3rd hive went down, all 3rd hive abilities were/are lost. I'm not sure how this would work on the marines side. Perhaps each marine tech point will be tied to specific global upgrades and tech (motion tracking/armor/weapon dmg). I would imagine that the weldbots would probably have a unit limit determined by the # of active marine tech points. So if you lost a tech point while having the max # of weld bots, would the extras be unaffected or just go idle.

NS2 is shaping up to be a more complex beast than NS1 with regards to tech trees and strategy elements. I do not envy Charlie and co that will have to sort out these issues and balance. I do so enjoy speculating and theorizing however.