NDA on testing, alpha, beta ?

jamesbchjamesbch Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28035Members, Constellation
edited March 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
Hello,

my question is very clear: During testing, alpha or/and beta phase are they going to be any form of restriction like <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement" target="_blank">NDA</a> or limitation in the publication of screenshots, talking to friends/other people ? Will we be free to talk about NS2 and let us spread the first information about the content even in the first (not final) stage of the game ?

Is there any official announce about it or what do you think ? Is it good or bad ? To protect the game from bad opinion or from stealing ? Who knows.

Comments

• SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    Generally publically advertised (like NS2) Alpha's and Beta's do not have NDA's. You generally only see NDA on closed versions of both, and usually only on Alpha's. I would be quite suprised if NS2 had an NDA issued with the Alpha or Beta.
  • -=Gradius=--=Gradius=- Join Date: 2010-03-03 Member: 70810Members
    1. They couldn't without us talking.
    2. With how any many thousand pre-orders keeping the beta secret would be both pointless and really hard to do.
  • Lord SchnitzelLord Schnitzel Join Date: 2008-11-04 Member: 65377Members
    I could tell you about the Engine Test NDA, but then they'd sue me :P
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757354:date=Mar 5 2010, 08:37 PM:name=Lord Schnitzel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lord Schnitzel @ Mar 5 2010, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I could tell you about the Engine Test NDA, but then they'd sue me :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do it. They could use the money.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    3 possibilities.

1. There's no Engine Test right now... It's just a scam to make more money from pre-orders (same can be assumed for the Coming-To-Steam announcement since it was well known that so many people were waiting for NS2 to come to steam before they would pre-order).

2. They don't trust the community so they are just conducting the engine test with people from Steam (that valve offered as part of some unknown deal to get NS2 on steam in exchange for 40% of profits or something).

3. The NS2 devs made the announcement too early and there's no engine test going on right now. Actually they made the announcement way early in twitter where they said their new goal was to get something small and playable into our (only special-edition-standard pre-order so not my standard-edition-preorder) hands.
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757395:date=Mar 5 2010, 05:16 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Mar 5 2010, 05:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757395"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3 possibilities.

1. There's no Engine Test right now... It's just a scam to make more money from pre-orders (same can be assumed for the Coming-To-Steam announcement since it was well known that so many people were waiting for NS2 to come to steam before they would pre-order).

2. They don't trust the community so they are just conducting the engine test with people from Steam (that valve offered as part of some unknown deal to get NS2 on steam in exchange for 40% of profits or something).

3. The NS2 devs made the announcement too early and there's no engine test going on right now. Actually they made the announcement way early in twitter where they said their new goal was to get something small and playable into our (only special-edition-standard pre-order so not my standard-edition-preorder) hands.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1: UWE has been good to their word in the past. Stop trolling.

2: UWE is active in the community so they certainly appear to trust them. Valve only gets 30% (I think) profits off of games they sell other than their own, no exceptions. Troll.

3: This is plausible... They may have jumped the gun and encouraged people to believe Alpha will begin any moment when it is months away or more. I don't know.

I'd prefer to think that the Alpha will be released in the next month or so. It seems likely to me.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757398:date=Mar 6 2010, 02:24 AM:name=celewign)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (celewign @ Mar 6 2010, 02:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757398"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1: UWE has been good to their word in the past. Stop trolling.

2: UWE is active in the community so they certainly appear to trust them. Valve only gets 30% (I think) profits off of games they sell other than their own, no exceptions. Troll.

3: This is plausible... They may have jumped the gun and encouraged people to believe Alpha will begin any moment when it is months away or more. I don't know.

I'd prefer to think that the Alpha will be released in the next month or so. It seems likely to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Stop lying to yourself
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    celewign in general you could just shorten your conclusions by this:

FocusedWolf = Troll :)
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    I've been considering that the Engine Test had an NDA. Did they clearly state that they already released the test to a small test group and have to fix the current bugs before they expand the group to include more pre-orders? If this is the case and there isn't any NDA of some sort, there would be at least one forum post regarding it.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1757641:date=Mar 6 2010, 03:23 PM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Mar 6 2010, 03:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been considering that the Engine Test had an NDA. Did they clearly state that they already released the test to a small test group and have to fix the current bugs before they expand the group to include more pre-orders? If this is the case and there isn't any NDA of some sort, there would be at least one forum post regarding it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dont think preorders are testing already. ATM my guess is that they are testing with close friends / NS1 staff or whatever.

Also, they said they gonna expand the engine test to NS2 preorders shortly, which in unknown time means like a month ;)
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    The more wait, the more great, or so.

By now we UWE got their own valve-time but as long as they aren't remaking the whole game like they did with half-life everything is fine :D
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1757395:date=Mar 6 2010, 08:16 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Mar 6 2010, 08:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757395"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. There's no Engine Test right now... It's just a scam to make more money from pre-orders (same can be assumed for the Coming-To-Steam announcement since it was well known that so many people were waiting for NS2 to come to steam before they would pre-order).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Who buys a game to engine test? Seriously, every post you ever make just hurts my head.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1757395:date=Mar 5 2010, 05:16 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Mar 5 2010, 05:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757395"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3 possibilities.

3. The NS2 devs made the announcement too early and there's no engine test going on right now. Actually they made the announcement way early in twitter where they said their new goal was to get something small and playable into our (only special-edition-standard pre-order so not my standard-edition-preorder) hands.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

4. stop talking
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757786:date=Mar 7 2010, 06:30 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Mar 7 2010, 06:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4. stop talking<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd preorder for that.
  • KesterKester Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26770Members, Constellation
    For clarity, there is no way they could make a NDA legally binding. We looked into it whilst starting the Black Mesa mod.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    yerr, now about that mod... Technical Difficulties or is the Zen world quite difficult to build?
  • rsdrsd Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13405Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757395:date=Mar 6 2010, 12:16 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Mar 6 2010, 12:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757395"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->troll troll troll<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Riiight.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    there can't be a NDA, but i expect them to ask us kindly not to post videos and screenshots everywhere
    <!--quoteo(post=1757836:date=Mar 7 2010, 01:07 PM:name=SgtBarlow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtBarlow @ Mar 7 2010, 01:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yerr, now about that mod... Technical Difficulties or is the Zen world quite difficult to build?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wouldn't know exactly, stopped working on it a few years back. I know it still in production though and nearing completion.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1757860:date=Mar 7 2010, 12:06 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Mar 7 2010, 12:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there can't be a NDA, but i expect them to ask us kindly not to post videos and screenshots everywhere<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There most likely won't be, but there's no reason they can't have a NDA.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    There's no reason for a NDA, except to prevent leaks to the community (although if they release all info about the contents of the pre-order, then it isn't a problem). Just force people to enter there keys to play, and only allow certain pre-order keys permission to play. If you don't care about who plays, then lighten up on the restrictions so anyone that preordered (or just anyone) can play.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    FocusedWolf, I thought you didn't even want to try the Alpha, much less the engine test. Why are you so excited and trying to convince us that Standard Ed should get access to them?
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    Wow - after all this time I see that I was right ignore FW many moons ago.

As for NDA - if they were going to have one they would have by now.
    What will the Engine Test provide that the Editor doesn't already?

Or the gameplay video that's already been put up by UWE?

If there's an NDA ... I would be very, Very, VERY surprised.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    NDAs are a bit impractical at the best of times, you give hundreds of people a copy of something and tell them not to mention it to anyone and someone is going to ignore you.

Considering the amount of information freedom the devs have already shown what with releasing the editor and so much development information I would be surprised if they NDA the alpha, as long as it looks good enough it will probably generate more good publicity than bad, especially considering the small team and the quality we've observed so far.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    FocusedWolf cares about the alpha. He just doesn't care for the black armour. He ordered the standard edition solely for the green armour. But it makes me scratch my head since Wolf has repeatedly said he would just use custom models.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=ignore" target="_blank">Manage ignored users.</a>
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    Indeed, it's dubitable they'll have an NDA in the light of how much access to in-game content we already have. They probably just found a couple of guys they could trust not to rat things out for the very initial release, and then the cat's out of the box.
    <!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro-->
    Assuming it's still alive. Curses, Schrödinger.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Like I'ev already said, there is no way they can make a legally binding NDA.

/thread.
  • HozartisHozartis Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68668Members

....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL! FocusedWolf posts are awesome. He's so goofy.

<!--quoteo(post=1757789:date=Mar 7 2010, 12:57 AM:name=Voyager I)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voyager I @ Mar 7 2010, 12:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1757786:date=Mar 7 2010, 12:30 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Mar 7 2010, 12:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    4. stop talking<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd preorder for that.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL!

As for NDA. I don't see how that would be in their best interests to start suddenly hiding info.
  • LandmineLandmine Join Date: 2008-06-21 Member: 64481Members
    So to recap? Never-mind, no one here knows or can know since they are not part of the force that will or will not release anything with or without a NDA.

</thread>