NS2 Dedicated Server (alpha)?

MarshalTTMarshalTT Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33799Members
<div class="IPBDescription">A few question.</div>Just a few question about the NS2 Dedicated servers:

Are we going to get dedicated server files when the alpha testing starts?

Will there be "auto" update option like in hldsupdatetool or something similar?

I hope we will get ingame map voit ability and basic admin tools included at least in the final release. Because in HL and source games its not included and you have to set up admin plugins and tons of other things for your server to work well and be popular, and those also cause instability to the server.

So it will be included? It would save a lot of time and stability problem if it is.

Comments

• Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    Ditto.

On the subject of voting and such, surely it is permissible to borrow from Left 4 Dead? That worked great.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1757289:date=Mar 5 2010, 10:31 AM:name=MarshalTT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MarshalTT @ Mar 5 2010, 10:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just a few question about the NS2 Dedicated servers:

Are we going to get dedicated server files when the alpha testing starts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, they have said late beta at the earliest.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Will there be "auto" update option like in hldsupdatetool or something similar?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, it's going to be on steam, so I'd assume hldsupdatetool would be available.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope we will get ingame map voit ability and basic admin tools included at least in the final release. Because in HL and source games its not included and you have to set up admin plugins and tons of other things for your server to work well and be popular, and those also cause instability to the server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No reason for them to waste time on those, when there's plenty of other people in the community willing to write them. Also, I've never seen a game come with good admin tools.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757389:date=Mar 6 2010, 01:08 AM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (devicenull @ Mar 6 2010, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, it's going to be on steam, so I'd assume hldsupdatetool would be available.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "HLDS" stands for "Half-Life Dedicated Server". So... Probably not. Although UW already have a pretty good auto-updating API set up anyway.

<!--quoteo(post=1757389:date=Mar 6 2010, 01:08 AM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (devicenull @ Mar 6 2010, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No reason for them to waste time on those<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    OP listed quite a few good reasons.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because in HL and source games its not included and you have to set up admin plugins and tons of other things for your server to work well and be popular, and those also cause instability to the server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's the only thing I see as far as reasons go.

Let's take HL1:
    Install metamod
    Install amxmodx
    Add admins

That entire process takes no more then 5 minutes if you know what you are doing. Amxmodx/metamod also do not hurt server stability at all. The same happens in Sourcemod, no server stability issues either.

The problems come in with all the game changing mods, but even those aren't really an issue.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757304:date=Mar 5 2010, 12:18 PM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Mar 5 2010, 12:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757304"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ditto.

On the subject of voting and such, surely it is permissible to borrow from Left 4 Dead? That worked great.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't like the idea of a default system set up to allow players to be booted by popular vote. It promotes a segregation of newer players so that any under performing / new player gets booted. If an individual server wants to set up a system like that, that's cool.. but don't include it as a default.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757520:date=Mar 5 2010, 07:51 PM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Mar 5 2010, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757520"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like the idea of a default system set up to allow players to be booted by popular vote. It promotes a segregation of newer players so that any under performing / new player gets booted. If an individual server wants to set up a system like that, that's cool.. but don't include it as a default.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If my experience with NS is any guide, it will be the "haxorz" vets that get votekicked. ;/
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Also Half-life & co got basic admin access, read rcon.

And AFAIK the gamechanging amxmodx/metamod plugins were often instable because half-life isn't "open" like the ns2 code will be ? I mean gameplay code (Lua).
    So there shouldnt be too much stability issues.
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    Please don't turn this into Modern warfare 2... That's all I'm saying. The option to choose WHERE to play is the best damn thing since sliced pickles.
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    Unlike IW I don't think UWE forgot their PC Gaming Roots.
  • FlipsterFlipster Join Date: 2009-02-18 Member: 66469Members
    If they ever did the Left 4 Dead 2 thing where you automatically put in a game, id be really dissapointed, but i doubt that they would do that. look how popular Counter Strike: Source is. Most people like it because you can choose the server that you want to.