Dynamic Infestation still in?

Comments

• PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1754268:date=Feb 20 2010, 07:32 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 20 2010, 07:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754268"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DI is a visual feature. The game works without it too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    pfff, if UWE don´t have it ingame i am very disappointed, then they are like all the developer and lie to the fans.
    But i am sure they will have it in the final release.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1754268:date=Feb 20 2010, 07:32 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 20 2010, 07:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754268"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DI is a visual feature. The game works without it too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's supposed to have gameplay effects, but I suppose they might not completely change the game.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1754093:date=Feb 19 2010, 11:08 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Feb 19 2010, 11:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't get it, Dynamic Infestation was one of the first Spark features that was developed years ago!

Then we hear they almost dropped it, before they got funding.

Now it's definitely going to be in the game - but is currently not working and may not be working in time for the Alpha release?

So my question would be, at what point did it stop working and why is it so difficult to get it back after years of development?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Covering the entire map in the uniform green texture demonstrated in the DI video is hardly suitable.

It needs a lot more work to actually look good, they are essentially trying to program a system which automatically makes good looking environments with a theme.

Which I would have said is impossible but you never know, lots of things are impossible and yet occur with alarming regularity.
  • DixieWolfDixieWolf Join Date: 2010-02-10 Member: 70508Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1754276:date=Feb 20 2010, 02:13 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 20 2010, 02:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754276"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->pfff, if UWE don´t have it ingame i am very disappointed, then they are like all the developer and lie to the fans.
    But i am sure they will have it in the final release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How is it lying if they don't have it in the alpha? they haven't promised <i>anything</i> other than that there will be an alpha. No features at all have been verbally confirmed for the alpha. Plus... It's an <i>alpha</i>! What they showed in the pre-alpha video a few weeks ago is honestly more polished looking than i would expect from an alpha
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    Hopefully it will be in the alpha, not just because its one of the most anticipated features (IMHO anyway), but I suspect it will be one of the features that needs the most testing to ensure it runs well across a wide range of systems as I can imagine that it has the potential to be a bit of a resource hog if optimised badly.

Anyway, fingers crossed!
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1754276:date=Feb 20 2010, 07:13 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 20 2010, 07:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754276"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->pfff, if UWE don´t have it ingame i am very disappointed, then they are like all the developer and lie to the fans.
    But i am sure they will have it in the final release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The alpha is all about making sure the basics work, it's a rough around the edges test. Since DI is a visual effect it probably won't be in the alpha, it's only meant to be a visual representation of the alien power grid after all (I think, right?), so it's priority in testing compared to how the marines, aliens and maps play out is probably pretty low. They've shown that it works, it'll probably show up in later builds. Really isn't that important right now. It's just the alien equivilant to the marine powergrid lighting effects (Correct me if I'm wrong though).
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    It is a huge part of the game mechanic, didn't they say the aliens depend on it, like someone said, sort of like the power grid, and also it causes malfunctions to human machinery, so if a power grid room is infested NOTHING will work till it's cleared out, so yes it's essential and far from just eye candy. I think it also adds some kind of bonus to the aliens as well, not sure on that though.
  • VengZVengZ Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69556Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1754442:date=Feb 21 2010, 04:41 PM:name=DixieWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DixieWolf @ Feb 21 2010, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754442"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How is it lying if they don't have it in the alpha? they haven't promised <i>anything</i> other than that there will be an alpha. No features at all have been verbally confirmed for the alpha. Plus... It's an <i>alpha</i>! What they showed in the pre-alpha video a few weeks ago is honestly more polished looking than i would expect from an alpha<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You like the word "alpha", huh? Used it a bit to much there as Price didnt even say anything about alpha. He said "ingame". Could be final build ;)
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    Yeah, on the posts related to the power grid, DI seems to be the parallel. It's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that the alien commander relies on the the DI for his "God Powers", and that it is not a purely aesthetic effect. It's a core piece of the gameplay. That doesn't even include it's pathway opening abilities and map interactions.

Also, There's a post on Halloween last year from Flay that explains the status of the game. He states very clearly that all major systems have been implemented and just need to be tweaked. This would rightfully include DI, considering the post about cutting DI and Heavy was before this. So good news all around and I think that should answer your question sans a dev post saying otherwise.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    still, DI is a pretty complicated thing to get right.
    For a alpha there could very well be invisble DI that only has the effects of it. I mean, as a programmer i can see all the special cases etc that DI raises, quite alot of work to get it right, specialy if there is other stuff (like the game itself) that has to be finished first.
    Lighting for one, how do you make it so the DI doesn't block out lights, regardless of where they may be positioned, how do you get it to go over complex props without destroying the detail and turning the entire world into big green balloon land.

Lots of work to do to get a good looking DI implementation, the simplistic tech demo is not a solution, only a start.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    The lights are dynamic, the only problem is how it lights the DI itself not the impact of lighting on the surrounding area, from what I see.

The main problem with DI is limits, whether there is a controlled area DI spreads to or if a player will define some non-DI areas for example. Particularly with varied sized locations of hives and tech points, that's the biggest challenge. Spreading it out in a fair way as to not obstruct gameplay and look correct.
  • DixieWolfDixieWolf Join Date: 2010-02-10 Member: 70508Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1754598:date=Feb 22 2010, 07:49 AM:name=VengZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VengZ @ Feb 22 2010, 07:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754598"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You like the word "alpha", huh? Used it a bit to much there as Price didnt even say anything about alpha. He said "ingame". Could be final build ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, in his post he said:
    <!--quoteo(post=1754276:date=Feb 20 2010, 02:13 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 20 2010, 02:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754276"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But i am sure they will have it in the final release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So I took it that he was saying he'd be disappointed if it wasn't in the alpha, and that he would consider that as the dev lying to us. But, as Cyanide said, it looks like we should have DI (it's supposedly already implemented) and that it should be a pretty important part of the gameplay, so that doesn't really matter, then. whoohoo DI!
  • S_BadguyS_Badguy Join Date: 2003-12-03 Member: 23925Members
    DI blocking out some light sources could be pure gold if aliens are packaged with body heat sensitive eyes and marines get a more aesthetically pleasing motion tracker. AvP has done those quite well.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1754844:date=Feb 23 2010, 06:44 PM:name=S_Badguy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (S_Badguy @ Feb 23 2010, 06:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754844"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DI blocking out some light sources could be pure gold if aliens are packaged with body heat sensitive eyes and marines get a more aesthetically pleasing motion tracker. AvP has done those quite well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't forget that the powergrid scheme will also be able to heavily manipulate lighting too. In my rooms I'm trying to have two (or more) lighting states available. One for low light unactivated areas, and another for high light active areas. Additional variables like having sprayed infestation be able to cover up lights is a neat idea too... because it will be possible for aliens to be building up in marine active powered areas... so if DI could cover existing light sources that just adds another interesting element - allowing aliens to make occupied areas more suitable (at least until they take out the marine node). Not sure how it would work though, since having too many non ambient light sources weights the engine down a lot currently, and adding a lot of extra DI that interacts with lighting might be complicated. Of course, not sure how you could justify DI not casting shadows... vampire DI?
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    "Lighting for one, how do you make it so the DI doesn't block out lights, regardless of where they may be positioned, how do you get it to go over complex props without destroying the detail and turning the entire world into big green balloon land."

Can't it just cover over the lights and dim the brightness? Sort of like putting a cloth over a light bulb.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    The trouble is a prop that looks like a light is not the actual light source so how would the DI know which light source to dim if it covers a light. Unless there is a way to tie a light source to a prop with some labeling system in the editor that I am not aware of.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    The nanogrid system ties different zones of the map to the state of the resource nodes of the zone. When a human RT is placed, the zone will brighten and provide other functions (comm abilities and zone specific things). When the node is unoccupied, the zone will be in it's inactive state. This would be moderate to minimal lighting signifying standby power mode. When an alien harvester is present, the zone will become more dim and dark signifying that the standby power is being used by the DI and aliens.

This would nullify many of the issues related to DI and changing lighting of the map. The mapper simple creates these 3 states as apart of the map building.

My understanding of DI would be that it would grow out from harvesters and hives (tech point). The alien comm will set a DI 'rally point' that directs its growth from each hive or harvester. The main trunks of growth could then be branched off by gorges in the field painting the growth in strategic areas of the map geometry (vents, corners etc). The mesh of DI would be similar to the nanogrid system in that a connection back to a res node or hive would be required to sustain/power OCs and other chambers placed as apart of forward bases. This would allow for very interesting gameplay related to maintaining the DI mesh against the threat of flamethrowers trying to cut the links to remote areas.

One of the later abilities of DI is to create cover for aliens. This would be done by gorges that grow low walls out of the DI and plant OCs/DCs or the NS2 equivalent.

This is all how I think it should work and is completely speculation.

Part of the balance here would require the flame thrower to be fairly weak against alien players and available at a lower tier of marine tech. I think of the flamethrower being used to clear DI much like a marine with a welder in NS1 clears webs while his teammates hold back and provide covering fire. It would allow an organized team to cut through DI territory very effectively or allow a ninja marine to cause critical DI disruption, but leave the flamethrower-carrying marine fairly vulnerable to coordinated attacks.

Let me know what you think everyone.

edit: typos
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could you tell us more about how the Infestation works?

It grows automatically outward from all alien structures. Also, the Alien Commander can make it grow wherever he wants through the placement of infestation "nodes". As the infestation grows, it turns off lights, breaks through doors, etc. Aliens can also morph to new lifeforms and automatically heal when they are infestation. Finally, the Alien Commander has special abilities that can only be used on infestation. We think the marine team will be able to burn infestation away with their flamethrower.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So it should be more then just for the "look" ;)
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    *Hardy har har, let's not spread misinformation* --Comprox
    <!--quoteo(post=1754754:date=Feb 23 2010, 12:11 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 23 2010, 12:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The lights are dynamic, the only problem is how it lights the DI itself not the impact of lighting on the surrounding area, from what I see.

The main problem with DI is limits, whether there is a controlled area DI spreads to or if a player will define some non-DI areas for example. Particularly with varied sized locations of hives and tech points, that's the biggest challenge. Spreading it out in a fair way as to not obstruct gameplay and look correct.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I know it's dynamic, but it's not going to light anything if it gets covered by the DI is it? Unless it shines through the back in which case it's just going to look bad because the DI has random lighting with no visible source.

The point is you have to find a way to make all lights work with it, from ones which point right along a surface, to ones which point into open space, to ones which are just small localised lights designed to enhance glowing spots on the texture or computer screens.

I know the rooms power down but you are still going to need a variety of emergency lights in an infested room and they can easily have those problems, and some rooms might not want to entirely power down so you get nice contrast in colour and luminosity.

It's complex, and I am surprised the devs are still going with the idea, but mad props it it turns out well.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    edited February 2010
    why not just adjust lighting of the DI to match whatever lighting is hitting the face it's attached to? A bright spotlight shining on part of a face would light up the DI, same for colored lights or shadows

If you have a light source texture that gets covered by infestation, it would still let some light through, since the area right around that texture would be lit by an omni or spotlight anyway

And if they wanted to make infested areas naturally darker, it would be easy to lower the brightness by a set %
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1756220:date=Mar 1 2010, 04:35 AM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Mar 1 2010, 04:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why not just adjust lighting of the DI to match whatever lighting is hitting the face it's attached to? A bright spotlight shining on part of a face would light up the DI, same for colored lights or shadows

If you have a light source texture that gets covered by infestation, it would still let some light through, since the area right around that texture would be lit by an omni or spotlight anyway

And if they wanted to make infested areas naturally darker, it would be easy to lower the brightness by a set %<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My point is how do you stop the DI growing over the light itself.

If the light is close to a wall the DI could grow over the point entity itself, and even if it didn't it could grow close to it and cast a big ass shadow over the area it was supposed to light up.

This won't be a problem for all lights but it will certainly be a problem for some, and you still need to figure out a way to make it look like any lights the DI does cover (like texture lights on walls) don't result in orphaned light entities, that is to say lights without a visible source because the DI is covering the prop or texture.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    You could have the DI grow around all models that *appear* to be light sources. I.e. a set list of props :P

Maybe the bacteria likes lights so doesn't cover it up :P
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1756264:date=Mar 1 2010, 08:02 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Mar 1 2010, 08:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756264"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My point is how do you stop the DI growing over the light itself.

If the light is close to a wall the DI could grow over the point entity itself, and even if it didn't it could grow close to it and cast a big ass shadow over the area it was supposed to light up.

This won't be a problem for all lights but it will certainly be a problem for some, and you still need to figure out a way to make it look like any lights the DI does cover (like texture lights on walls) don't result in orphaned light entities, that is to say lights without a visible source because the DI is covering the prop or texture.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why stop it from growing over? If DI doesn't block light or directly cast shadows, it won't matter if the actual light source is inside or outside of the DI. If the wall is well-lit in one spot (say, around a light source) just make sure the DI is lit well right in that area too.

Of course, the effect would be easier to do if DI is not too thick, and if it's semi-transparent (which it probably is, else infested areas would all look the same, the devs don't want that)
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    the fact that no1 from UWE has replied in this thread makes me fear it's been scrapped...
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1756295:date=Mar 1 2010, 06:44 PM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Mar 1 2010, 06:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756295"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the fact that no1 from UWE has replied in this thread makes me fear it's been scrapped...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    was thinking exactly the very same thing
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1756311:date=Mar 1 2010, 02:28 PM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Mar 1 2010, 02:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756311"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->was thinking exactly the very same thing<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lets make a thread about the fade, and if no developers reply, that must mean it was scrapped!

Wait, ######.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    am just saying cause at this point no one knows what feature might end up taken out just to finish the game on time and budget.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    They could actually be REALLY clever about the whole DI lighting problem. Let the Di cover up lights opaquely, but give the DI its own lighting, This could be a subtle green glow just to make sure that the room isn't pitch black, or maybe it has little orange polyps which glow orange and provide auxiliary lighting.