Supreme Commander 2

RetalesRetales Panigg cultist Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19180Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Demo available</div>So I went ahead and tried this and I must say it was really nice. It still has the Supreme Commander feel to it, but I think this is a bit faster paced than the original. Still no Starcraft or anything like that.

One major thing that's different from SupCom 1 is the way you advance in tech. In SupCom 2 you build research facilities that give you research resource pointsâ„¢ . You spend these points in different tech branches to improve units you have and unlock new ones. The unlockable units are no longer simply superior versions of the old units, but instead units of different roles. In the beginning you have access to basic tanks and fighter planes. As you spend points you can unlock artillery, gunships, mobile missile launchers etc. Upgrades increase the usual stuff like health, range, radar etc., but can also give your units special abilities, like shields or anti-air.

The resource system is also slightly different. There's no longer mass/energy storages and no adjacency bonus for factories. Building stuff no longer drains the resources slowly, but instead the whole price is paid instantly. Basically I'd have no problem with this, but the queue system doesn't really work. If at some point there's not enough resources to start the next unit in the queue, the production pauses and it won't resume unless you manually order it to. Luckily it doesn't cancel the production, but it's a pain in the ass to keep having to check your factories aren't sleeping.

Other than that it's pretty much like SupCom 1, only better. Unit pathfinding is better and 'smoother' so that units slightly bumping into eachother don't cause them to start spinning wildly and causing a traffic jam.

So if you're not flippin balls about the SC2 beta and/or you liked the original Supreme Commander, I recommend you try the demo.

Oh, and the ACU's are of course still made of nuclear bombs.

Comments

• Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
    It would of been nice if you gave a <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/40140" target="_blank">link</a>
  • RetalesRetales Panigg cultist Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19180Members
    Available now on Steam!
    I enjoyed the demo it was easy to play but also had some of the deeper rts supreme commander bits to it. I may get the game when it comes out. The story in the demo didn't make a massive amount of sense and seemed a little cheesy but I guess thats because its a few missions in etc.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I hate the new art style. Buildings and units look goofy, terrain looks <i><b>extremely</b></i> boring, and there's zero subtlety in the colour schemes.
    Don't much like the new interface either. Not being able to instantly dismiss cutscene messages particularly gets on my nerves, and it just doesn't look as cool as 1.
    Even the special effects are lamer and less satisfying. This one's a bust for me.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755867:date=Feb 27 2010, 02:13 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Feb 27 2010, 02:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755867"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hate the new art style. Buildings and units look goofy, terrain looks <i><b>extremely</b></i> boring, and there's zero subtlety in the colour schemes.
    Don't much like the new interface either. Not being able to instantly dismiss cutscene messages particularly gets on my nerves, and it just doesn't look as cool as 1.
    Even the special effects are lamer and less satisfying. This one's a bust for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed.
  • RetalesRetales Panigg cultist Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19180Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755867:date=Feb 27 2010, 09:13 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Feb 27 2010, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755867"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hate the new art style. Buildings and units look goofy, terrain looks <i><b>extremely</b></i> boring, and there's zero subtlety in the colour schemes.
    Even the special effects are lamer and less satisfying. This one's a bust for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Weird, I thought the special effects looked cooler and more satisfying. I agree that the units look like plastic and the colors are horrifying, but I spend most of my time zoomed out or at most at a fair distance, so it doesn't matter that much.

As for the terrain, did you play the second actual mission? When did you ever see anything cooler than that in SupCom 1? Honestly, in SupCom 1 all you'd see are land, water and slightly darker land you can't move or build on. SupCom 2 has those plus a few more features like pits, cliffs and highass mountains.

But it is quite different from SupCom 1, with the different (horrible) resource system, teching, no assisted building and faster pace. In terms of classic Supreme Commanderness it falls way behind compared to the original, but in its own right it seems like an interesting game. I'm most definitely not going to pay 45 - 50€ for it. Maybe if it's ever on some mega-sale for like 10€ I'll buy it, but that's propably not going to happen any time soon, if ever.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    There's a few things I think don't work but I'm sure they'll be modded or changed in patches or with an expansion, considering the improvement FA did to SC1 if we get the same again it will be excellent.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Another acronym battle ensues! SC1 vs SC1 vs SC2 vs SC2. It looks like a messy game...
  • SidSid Corwid of the Free Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12903Members, Constellation
    More like, "Supreme Letdown..er.... 2" mirite?

But seriously - I don't mind the game. I got the preorder and am enjoying it... but it is *really* watered down. You can build four energy generators and never worry about energy income ever again. Ever.

The graphics are meh - but the game runs nice. You can tell it was designed for the consoles.

However, the lack of a save/load option for Skirmishes is ridiculous. :<
    There's a skirmish mode in the demo?
    no, its a single player demo, it still gives you a good idea of what to expect.
    <!--quoteo(post=1756809:date=Mar 3 2010, 07:56 PM:name=Sub_zer0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sub_zer0 @ Mar 3 2010, 07:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no, its a single player demo, it still gives you a good idea of what to expect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I know, I have it, which is why I was confused that he said there was no save in skirmish as there is no skirmish in the demo to my knowledge.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    He has the full game, not just the demo.