Development Blog Update - Friday update - Lerk reveal

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Development Blog Update - Friday update - Lerk reveal here

Comments

• Sinnister81Sinnister81 Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10308Members
    That was awesome. When is the alpha coming!!!?!?!?!?!
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good Job UWE!!! Keep up the great work! I really hope you secretly put out an alpha tonight!!! If not, then next week!!! :D:D:D
  • CardoCardo Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10458Members
    Looks great! More than anything I like the sneaky look at the map featured in the vid.. it's giving me ideas already.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    It was alright however what I really wanted to know was what skills do the lerk have and how they work.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    Cool.

For Spores secondary, how about a drop-on-the-spot version that's more better?
    Kind of like the Bile Demons in Dungeon Keeper.
    <!--quoteo(post=1755435:date=Feb 26 2010, 08:04 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Feb 26 2010, 08:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755435"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was alright however what I really wanted to know was what skills do the lerk have and how they work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's what you got too. You know, on the front page? <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/</a>
  • MachinasterMachinaster Join Date: 2007-05-31 Member: 61074Members
    I love the new lerk. The sitting back and being all range-y in the older version was my favorite part of lerking! I think a cool alt-fire could be something like umbra, a percent chance for bullets to miss or stop, or whatever, or a smoke grenade effect that blots out vision to let the lerk escape, but uses up all the adrenaline points making fleeing a difficult task.

...and once again, the music is great!
  • GaidinTSGaidinTS Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19319Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lerk was by far my favorite class in NS1.

For a secondary fire for spore, how about he vents out a more potent cloud of spore from his sides that just envelopes his current position. Maybe it'll do damage to structures or heavy armor (or the ns2 equivalent).

I could see lerks flying in to bases, sporing, and flying out of the generated cloud.

What are the flight mechanics going to be like? Flapping like the original lerk, or gliding like the currently lurk. I remember the flapping allowed for circle strafing enemies with the spike attack.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1755436:date=Feb 26 2010, 11:05 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Feb 26 2010, 11:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755436"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For Spores secondary, how about a drop-on-the-spot version that's more better?
    Kind of like the Bile Demons in Dungeon Keeper.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's what I was thinking too, basically a thicker version of spores. More like a liquid acid spray.
    It would have much shorter range, but the DPS would much higher than spores, and if a marine got hit by it, they wouldn't be able to run away from the DPS.

Either that, or you could just make it like Jarate. Mark the targets, and then they take more damage from all aliens. This, paired with the sniper attack would probably be pretty fun.

Idea about the sniper attack- What if when you shot, if you hold down the attack button your camera would follow the spike allowing you to influence it's movement slightly? Added accuracy at the cost of having to have your body sit still for a little longer.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    edited February 2010
    Stoked. Remembering back to roughly 8 years ago when PT'ing started on NS, we all wished for lerk perch so bad. It was really too bad it was incredibly difficult to program and work with on the HL engine. I'm glad we can now live the full vision, Charlie. :)
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    Spore alt fires:

Spore mines, Align's idea, spore spray (think flamethrower-ish), a spore cloud that burns through armor rather than health (in case of a medpack spam or whatever), or a thick, nontoxic spore cloud that blocks vision (basically a smoke grendade).

Hell, you could even make Umbra the alt fire.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    I've always hated that Marines with Heavy Armor aren't affected by Spore at all. Sure, its probably a sealed environment, but Oxygen tanks have got to run out eventually, meaning the marine would have to refill it, or come out of his suit for air (or if it isn't sealed and he just has a gas mask then...). One could argue that "nanites" obviously purifies the Oxygen so here is a suggestion: Either make Heavy Armored marines take a lot less damage from Spores than un-armored marines, or the Spores have a natural desire to bind with Oxygen. Heavy Armored marines have an Oxygen health meter that doesn't give them limited Oxygen but acts as a health bar for their Oxygen tank. The extremely strong affinity for both the Spore and Oxygen to bind results in extra pressure on the Oxygen tank which does damage over time to the Oxygen tank. When it reaches critical levels, the Oxygen tank bursts (and possibly does damage to the heavy armor?) and the marine is vulnerable to the usual effect of spores once again.

As for the secondary weapon of Spore, is Umbra such a bad decision? If not for Umbraing other players, then for Umbraing the Lerk itself. I've played the Lerk with Spikes, Bite and both Spikes AND Bite, and while the Lerk is probably just a support class, I think it either needs some more offensive abilities that actual pack a punch, or an added defensive ability. Its not that hard to hit a really fast, flying Lerk with any weapon in NS1, especially if you're both in a long corridor. Unless the Spikes do damage that is equal to a Skulks Bite, the only advantage I see of being able to shoot from a distance is that the chances you won't get Knifed are lower. The Lerk needs bullet protection.
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    I'd like the ###### you smoked when making these alien characters, I love them.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1755441:date=Feb 26 2010, 11:13 AM:name=Atone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Atone @ Feb 26 2010, 11:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755441"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spore alt fires:

Spore mines, Align's idea, spore spray (think flamethrower-ish), a spore cloud that burns through armor rather than health (in case of a medpack spam or whatever), or a thick, nontoxic spore cloud that blocks vision (basically a smoke grendade).

Hell, you could even make Umbra the alt fire.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm liking the idea of a spray, and vision blocking. Maybe a neuro-toxin that disables marine's vision. In game, the marine's vision would go really blurry and maybe swaying and color-undulating for a time. Again, this would require the lerk fly over the marines, so the range is much less than that of spores, and since it is a spray it would just be a time based effect (which they might be able to dodge as the lerk attempted it), not one that they could walk out of like spores.
  • Grunt MagnusGrunt Magnus Join Date: 2009-03-10 Member: 66687Members
    edited February 2010
    For an alt+fire on the spore cloud how about a speed boost? Visually it would look like he's releasing an ink cloud meant for escape (not unlike a squid) and for a short time he has increased speed for escaping (or for swooping in and distracting)

Anyways, fantastic video. Can't wait!
  • enf0rcerenf0rcer intrigued... Join Date: 2003-03-16 Member: 14584Members
    For this, spot-drop spore alt fire suggestion... I'm picturing lerks swooping down and using alt fire amongst the enemy. I'd endorse it if it meant you could use the ability mid-flight. Whatever the alt-fire ends up being I'd suggest only that it encourage flight and use/skill in motion.

As for the design of the character itself, I can only think of one minor nit-pick about it. The roost ability would suggest powerful feet with which to clamp onto surfaces. In some cases I'm sure that will end up being a smooth ceiling (since for gameplay purposes you can't always rely on there being a pipe or overhead object to cling to). That said, I'd have made the claws significantly longer/sharper on the feet. Something to imply that there is piercing of the surface the lerk is attached to. To that end, you could also have some sort of impact marks, similar to bullet holes, where the claws have damaged the surface (a fading effect, like bullet holes would be). The opposing claw is very stubby and currently wouldn't facilitate this much. ... ok ok, like I said, very nit-picky.

I wonder if there is going to be any sort of slight up/down bobbing added to the first person view that would reflect the wings flapping.
    <!--quoteo(post=1755436:date=Feb 26 2010, 11:05 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Feb 26 2010, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755436"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cool.

For Spores secondary, how about a drop-on-the-spot version that's more better?
    Kind of like the Bile Demons in Dungeon Keeper.

That's what you got too. You know, on the front page? <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are so cool, where are the second and third hive abilities?
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    Awesome!
    Did you use Zspeheres to make that model?

Also, if you go to document > export it exports a screenshot of the viewport without the cursor in psd format.
  • MortosMortos Join Date: 2006-11-28 Member: 58763Members
    edited February 2010
    Looks wonderful, I love the perch ability.

My idea for the secondary attack would be a ball of goo (or other excretion, call it what you like) that the lerk can drop like a bomb on marines below while flying or perched. It would use nearly all of the lerks adrenaline eat away at the armor of marines and buildings in the area it hit/splashed. This would be a good alternative for late game when many marines are in heavy armor and thus spore becomes useless.

- Can be dropped while flying overhead, making a high risk, high reward scenario. Allows lerk some ability to damage (the armor of) groups of heavy armored marines

- Can be dropped while perched overhead, so the lerk can set "traps" by perching in the rafters in front of groups of marines, providing bonuses for scouting, plus making it even more important for marines to check nooks and crannies as they progress through the map.

- Allows bombing or strafing runs during base attacks so the lerk can make use of distractions to damage not only marines, but buildings too.

- Not another cloud type (more than one type of cloud attack seems both lazy and confusing for players).
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Lerk lift v2 on Di there are big blobs of goo growing which the lerk can pick up and drop some anywhere to start a small spot of Di growing. Stopping structures from working some time.

The lerk would have to get constantly some blobs or else the structure soon starts to work again.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No words can describe how I feel about ns2 on the horizon.
  • spacedanielspacedaniel Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69348Members
    Looks quite professional. I second local umbra cloud as spore alt fire. UW FTW!
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited February 2010
    Roost We plan on allowing the Lerk to hold his crouch key when near a <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><u>ceiling</u><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> to <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->flip upside down<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> and roost there. When roosting, his <b><!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->view is upside-down<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> and he's able to spike and spore from above. This is something I really wanted in NS1 and I can't wait to see it in NS2!

Skulk rotation on walls officially I hope, toggleable option of course?

Obviously you can rotate the viewcam apparently.

(DOES HAPPY DANCE)

TL;DR

TOGGLEABLE BUTTON like impulse 100 or in the OPTIONS MENU.

YES PLEASE!!!
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    roosting! i was so hoping for this!
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    edited February 2010
    Alt spore :

Ideas :

Have a spore wich is covering more space with less damages.
    Or the opposite :
    A spore which cover only a small surface but with extra damage. A good way for people who know how to aim with spore, to do more damages to the target.

A spore with another effect :

_an hallucinogen gaz instead of damages, or a very foggy cloud with only a visibility impact (good support idea to cover an ally running away without impacting damage)
    _make the marine into it to move slower (so they can be more vulnerable too skulks, good support effect).
    _make the marine into it visible to every aliens.

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>Wing Flap idea :</b>
    <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Make some kind of proximity or range (your choice) cyclone able to light off the marine jetpack, so this one fall on the ground for one or two seconds).
    Ideal when marines have too much advance, and team have only a few skulk, so this support class is still able to defend and save the hive on a fast jetpack rush.

Remember :
    Onos (with stomp) > Heavy armore > lerk
    but
    Lerk (with gaz and the wing flap idea) > Jetpack > Onos.

A solution to both units = a good strategy game.
  • Wyattx3Wyattx3 Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18386Members
    I really like the new Lerk design, you guys are doing an awesome job with all of them.

If spore only deals damage to marines without reducing armor, you could have another spore alt fire that focusses on marine armor/structures.

I also like the spore mine although I would rather the gorge have that one!

Although it would be fun to set a trap and hide above ready to ambush/snipe as they spring the trap...
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited February 2010
    Also, does this mean no more Umbra from the Lerk Charlie? Or is it being used by the Hivemind(Kharaa Kommander) now.

Alt-Fire for Spore could be something like that reduces the effectivness of buildings(research speed)/armor repair.

Would use a lot of adrenaline.

I think in Starcraft 2 the Infestor has this ability.

Or the grenade like lob of spores, so you can fly past a group of Marines and not have to change your angle of flight... which has been suggested.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    Spore alt-fire should work like ensnare does in starcraft, shooting out a extra thick version of spores that sticks to marines and slows them down for like 5 seconds. This way they'll be in the spore cloud longer and you can get some more spike damage. I imagine this would also work well in ambushes with other aliens. Heavies should still be immune to spore gas. It added to the "i'm a badass" feeling when walking around in a heavy.
    I would recommend something that would distrupt marine sight for spore secondary to initiate team battles.
  • barbarossabarbarossa Join Date: 2003-10-25 Member: 21941Members, Constellation
    Right, I figured Umbra would be a very natural alt fire for the spore cloud - and I always thought the mechanic was nice, since it made marines want to close the distance to get more shots in.

As for the goo idea, that makes sense too. Maybe it's got a charge time, but it could serve as a doorway-denial effect where the spore cloud makes more sense to have in a whole room. I like the idea of it eating away at armor too, although i would be hesitant to make a lerk be able to kill just anything.

Also, I hope the lerk's spike snipe ability isn't a 1-shot kill, as that could make playing a marine very frustrating, especially without a killcam or something.