Skin support

Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
edited February 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Not racist</div>Assuming it's not already in. To be more precise, assuming because currently differently-coloured chairs have entire different models on them (can't be too good for performance, can it?).

Basically, people *will* want to re-texture default props. Per se, I already do. It would be neat to allow for such process via the available tools, i.e. the Builder. Can we have it, pretty please?..

My wild guess would be that the most user-friendly way to implement it - keeping integration with current model management system in mind - is to make the engine, when it's checking for model's material file, to also check out any material file with certain appendage on it. For example: we've got model "Chair_1.model", and the attached material "Chair_1.material"; when loading the material file, do a check if there's also anything named "Chair_1_skin_(name).material" - if there is, load it as separate model in the editor... And so on.<!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro-->

Or you could make it so the engine treats two models with identical checksums as one.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Comments

• slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you want to retexture a prop, can't you just copy the prop, rename it, take the material file and rename it and change it's settings, then open the .dds file in photoshop and color it?

I did that with one of the textures and it works just fine.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited February 2010
    Glad to know that works, thanks. EDIT: Just checked it out, doesn't work.

The main two concerns here are performance (loading same model numerous times) and Builder support (much easier that way). Albeit, assuming the latter would simply copy any .model files, that's not an issue (won't do it for me).
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    There's a pathway inside the .model file that is taken from the converted DAE for the material used and you need to change that for your copied model to use another material.

I believe it could be possible with something like UltraEdit to change the path inside the model file without altering the file. I haven't tried.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1754487:date=Feb 22 2010, 12:06 AM:name=Pipi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pipi @ Feb 22 2010, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754487"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's a pathway inside the .model file that is taken from the converted DAE for the material used and you need to change that for your copied model to use another material.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, damn, figured this much. Then we really do need skin support.