Dynamic Infestation still in?

PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
I know you right now hard working on the alpha but its very hard for us fans.
NS1 is a long time ago and i am (and a lot of people are waiting) for the release of ns2.
Is the lerk still not done?
Whats with the fade?
If you are still to less people, hire 1-2 new people?
The last <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMMiKKv7g7s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMMiKKv7g7s</a> DI video was on source engine, so whats with your own?
Is Dynamic infestation already in it?
Work it like it does in the video?
Its hard to belive, because you don´t show us something new or longer videos, i guess you cant infect the whole map with these stuff?

Comments

• FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    DI is still in it seems, it's been mentioned a few times from updates and posts.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=Oct 30 2009:name=NS 7th Anniversary, Progress and first NS2 Screenshots)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS 7th Anniversary, Progress and first NS2 Screenshots @ Oct 30 2009)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pre-orders have also allowed us to put the Heavy/Exoskeleton into the game, which was previously cut. We were also thinking seriously of cutting Dynamic Infestation but luckily we averted that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1752945:date=Feb 13 2010, 04:07 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 13 2010, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752945"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Usually there will be Infestation that is growing around the Resource Harvester, which will make it fit in better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Spark Mapping Guidelines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Spark Mapping Guidelines)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dynamic Infestation

Unlike NS1, you won't have to do anything special to “infest” the alien
    start or other alien parts of the map. We are doing this dynamically in the
    full game. For now you won't be able to see the results of the infestation,
    but in a future update you will. Don't worry about increasing the size of
    your halls and rooms to account for infestation – players will be able to
    pass through infestation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    DI was _NEVER_ on source... the video where it was showed has been already within the spark engine ;)
    And for now it's in.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    Seker: The video of dynamic infestation was actually in source engine. Then they let away the feature for economic conditions. Now they seem to have kept the idea along with the exoskeletons.

;)
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited February 2010
    Sry, Pipi, I'm with Seker here.
    The video of the DI was made with max's engine, which then probably became the ns2 engine after they axed source. (maybe you should stick to mapping and post some more frakking tasty screenshots already :p)
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    EDIT: Doh, beaten to the punch by pSykOmAn

No, the original DI video was in the Spark engine, but they never told us about it until after they announced they were making their own engine. If you go back to the original announcement about switching from Source to (now called) Spark, they said that the DI video was made using Spark.

Sorry, I can't find the relevant quote from Max right now.
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1753683:date=Feb 17 2010, 08:06 PM:name=culprit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (culprit @ Feb 17 2010, 08:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: Doh, beaten to the punch by pSykOmAn

No, the original DI video was in the Spark engine, but they never told us about it until after they announced they were making their own engine. If you go back to the original announcement about switching from Source to (now called) Spark, they said that the DI video was made using Spark.

Sorry, I can't find the relevant quote from Max right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    in the soundtrack of the video they say they're using the standard bsp tho

and I think max said they didn't even have it implemented in spark yet
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    The video clearly states with Charlies voice that it is in the Source engine. The direct quote is "generated over a standard Half-Life 2 BSP level".

Spark does not use BSP technology from what I see. There's no compile of any sort engine side, which if I recall correct, BSP needs to be compiled.

To sum up only Source engine DI has been shown, none for spark so far.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited February 2010
    Yes, i've rewatched the video and it seems you are correct, but I'm pretty sure I remember a statement that the DI was generated in max's engine.
    So basicly max's engine was based on bsp in its early states (or whatever) and then it became what we know as spark later on.
    (Maybe they just said this though to calm ppl down when they announced to develope their own engine :D)
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1753696:date=Feb 17 2010, 08:48 PM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Feb 17 2010, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753696"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, i've rewatched the video and it seems you are correct, but I'm pretty sure I remember a statement that the DI was generated in max's engine.
    So basicly max's engine was based on bsp in its early states (or whatever) and then it became what we know as spark later on.
    (Maybe they just said this though to calm ppl down when they announced to develope their own engine :D)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    tbh, seeing as bsp and the current spark engine are about complete opposites (vertex vs brush based), I'd say that's not very likely
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    I recall a statement that the video was done in an early engine by UWE (just for testing, as they were still using Source) which could work with BSP levels. I'll go try and find the quote.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    There is a possiblity that Spark uses a BSP Tree to store the map geometry. Just because the BSP Tree is usually generated in a compilation face doesn't mean it can't be done in real-time.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    I think they were using Max' engine as a viewer, while they were using source, since you didn't need to reload the map to see your changes, etc. And I remember them saying they prototyped the DI in this engine...

Found it!

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2007/11/texture_preview_tool" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2007...re_preview_tool</a>
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This engine is something I've been working on for years and I use it whenever I want to prototype something in 3D. Since I've designed it to be really easy-to-use, it's generally much faster for me to do prototyping (which requires a lot of iteration) using it rather than a big complex engine like Source. I originally added Half-Life 2 BSP rendering to prototype the dynamic infestation ideas shown in this blog entry.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    From the blog post on December 1st 2006:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/2006/12/dynamic_infestation" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/2006/12/dynamic_infestation</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At first we though the lighting would also be a tough problem, since Source is based on pre-computed light maps for the static geometry. Trying to illuminate something that dynamically changes at run-time doesn't immediately seem feasible in this scenario, but the facilities built into the BSP for doing normal mapping actually made it pretty simple.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds "Sourcy" to me, although I also had the impression the video had been made on Max's engine. There must be some other news (or some clarification by the devs somewhere) which lead some of us here to believe this. I'm browsing through the post's comments thread but I won't see anything about it not being Source.

edit: Oh well, Mendasp, our savior, found it! :D
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1753689:date=Feb 17 2010, 08:32 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 17 2010, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The video clearly states with Charlies voice that it is in the Source engine. The direct quote is "generated over a standard Half-Life 2 BSP level".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I brought that up in another thread before, but one of the dev's stated that it in fact wasn't showing Source but an early version of Max's engine.
    Edit: Too slow, Mendasp found it.

Regarding the Lerk and Fade reveal, my theory is that the first reveals were meant to build up excitement for the alpha.
    But then the alpha release got delayed which meant there was no reason to post new reveals.
    I wouldn't except to see them until a few weeks before alpha release.
  • NossahNossah Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8234Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    Looking at that blog post again i have to wonder whether or not charly was actually controlling the flow of the infestation or simply following it because it curiously seems to follow the center of the screen all the time.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    Will DI be noclip ? i don't get it it ? "Players will be able to pass through"
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It seems certain that it will be in the final product, but will it be in the upcoming alpha?
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    DI is supposed to have 3 levels or stages. I'm guessing the alien comm will be able to direct these developments to some degree. This would indicate that The Video is probably just a early proof-of concept for these various levels of growth. It certainly is one of the most key features that excites me about NS2. Along with most of the new changes (nanogrid, Mobile sieges, flamethrower etc), it just looks like a potent cocktail of gameplay.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1753733:date=Feb 17 2010, 11:10 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Feb 17 2010, 11:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753733"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It seems certain that it will be in the final product, but will it be in the upcoming alpha?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is what i ask my self because nobody knows if the DI is in the new engine., the info says
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a prototype of dynamic infestation technology for Natural Selection 2. In this video, infestation geometry is procedurally generated over a standard <b>Half-Life 2 BSP level</b> without any additional work from the level designer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So its the "old engine from Valve" not from UWE, we don´t see any new footage of DI in the new engine, thats why it makes it so "mystery".
    I realy hope its in the alpha because its very cool and a huge point in atmosphere.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1753725:date=Feb 17 2010, 10:52 PM:name=Skyforger2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skyforger2 @ Feb 17 2010, 10:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753725"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Will DI be noclip ? i don't get it it ? "Players will be able to pass through"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's what it sounds like. Pray it doesn't look silly.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Ok, to clear it up a bit. That video of dynamic infestation was taking using Max's rendering engine which had a BSP level open. Basically the level could have been in oepned in Source, but even back then, the team was using Max's engine to view the levels as it was easier.

Fast forward to today, they have dropped the BSP format since they don't need the levels to open in source anymore. As for it being in the alpha, I honestly have no clue, sorry.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1753786:date=Feb 18 2010, 04:14 AM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Feb 18 2010, 04:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, to clear it up a bit. That video of dynamic infestation was taking using Max's rendering engine which had a BSP level open. Basically the level could have been in oepned in Source, but even back then, the team was using Max's engine to view the levels as it was easier.

Fast forward to today, they have dropped the BSP format since they don't need the levels to open in source anymore. As for it being in the alpha, I honestly have no clue, sorry.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's also what I thought.

I'm sure it was in a podcast or something that they said that demo had been done in the new engine.
  • TheMatrixTheMatrix Join Date: 2008-11-02 Member: 65358Members
    hmm well i hope that Dynamic infestation will be in.. it will give a whole new feeling to a game such as this...
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    I don't get it, Dynamic Infestation was one of the first Spark features that was developed years ago!

Then we hear they almost dropped it, before they got funding.

Now it's definitely going to be in the game - but is currently not working and may not be working in time for the Alpha release?

So my question would be, at what point did it stop working and why is it so difficult to get it back after years of development?
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Who says it stopped working?
    Isn't it more likely that it still is in an early tech-demo like state and not gameplay ready?
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    No one ever said it stopped working, I guess it will be just one huge mind blowing friday update with dynamic infestations :)

The only thing that isn't in the actual release is random starting locations for both teams, with the alien tech point being "alienish" made by just the dynamic infestation, but as far as I can recall they would like to add that or at least are considering it after the release.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1754104:date=Feb 20 2010, 12:01 AM:name=Razagal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razagal @ Feb 20 2010, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754104"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who says it stopped working?
    Isn't it more likely that it still is in an early tech-demo like state and not gameplay ready?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This man is in the know.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I think DI will be in the alpha, or let me put it that way: The alpha won't be out until DI is ready. From all the descriptions it seems that it's a vital part of the game design that affects how each map works during different stages of the game. Game play without DI would be very different from the game play with DI, so there would be no point in releasing an alpha that doesn't have it imho.
    DI is a visual feature. The game works without it too.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    edited February 2010
    I doubt it it is for visual feature only, it's the alien's power grid isn't it ?

EDIT: Most likely it isn't for ressource transfer, but I'm sure it will add special abilities to the aliens or the hive mind that can be used when around DI, so DI is needed for gameplay ... the alpha could work without those DI dependant features and DI itself imho.