Banned for being new?

AmulAmul Join Date: 2009-12-27 Member: 69792Members
Hm, so I'd heard some good things about this mod, and decided to check it out. Downloaded it, read the manual and whatnot. I joined a server and played as an alien for a couple minutes, and had my name set as New Player (hoping it might encourage some mercy/tips from others). Basically, it seemed from some of the chat going on that a few people were obviously annoyed by my playing, and after a few minutes I was kicked out and got a message that I was banned for 30 something thousand minutes (something like that). I don't get it, I was trying to kill marines, wasn't griefing or anything... Is this typical? Doesn't seem to be a whole ton of servers/players, so I'm not sure if it's really worth trying to play again or not...

Comments

• PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    Well, yes.. it's like that.

Since there isn't much servers up left and half of them are considered "pro only" (at least EvolveNS is) you will have to play elsewhere or you get kicked and/or banned from them.

It's not that they are not newbie-friendly but most games are "serious" and you have to follow the gameplay strictly. The game is complexier than many many games and if you don't do certain things, you are surely useless and more than that, a nuisance to the team.

I suggest you just try other servers for now, I know there isn't many. It's been some months since I have played NS1 now but there surely is a <BAD> server good for you when there isn't too many people paying on it.

Good luck.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Yea, there are different servers with different rules, keep trying and learning. Its a really fun mod once you know the basics.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    try the bot servers, theres lots of bot servers set aside for newer players like yourself. KustomKarnage, The Sandbox, and basically any other server where the only players there all have the same playing time on that server, those are bot servers. your teammates shouldnt care if you're just roaming around trying to learn things on those servers, plus the bots are much easier to kill than the vets on all the classic servers
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Haven't seen anyone getting banned for being bad on European servers. I'd recommend staying away from the commander chair until you're familiar with the gameplay style, but that's pretty much it. As long as you're somewhat responsive to communication you shouldn't end up in trouble.

In combat games (co_ labeled maps) try to avoid dying too much early on since it gives your opponent advantage.

On NS (ns_) maps your safest bet on aliens is building resoucre towers and upgrade chambers (remember to ask first which chamber your team wants though) as a gorge. It never hurts your team, especially if you do so right at the start or early on. Note that Offence chambers don't give your team upgrades, so building them isn't necessarily a good thingy.

On NS maps on marines you can be useful by building things and trying to protect your resoucre towers. If someone yells "PG!" or "Phase!", find the nearby phase gate and try to figure out which area needs protection and marines. Try to weld your teammates if you've got your welder and try to learn how the mines are used to protect phase gates and crucial buildings. In case you're not sure where the mines are supposed to be planted, go ahead and ask, the commander should tell you.

With extremely basic things like that you're already doing far more for your team than many players on public servers. After that I can't see how anyone could even consider kicking or banning you from the servers, not that I've seen it happen now.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited December 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1745000:date=Dec 27 2009, 09:50 PM:name=Amul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Amul @ Dec 27 2009, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hm, so I'd heard some good things about this mod, and decided to check it out. Downloaded it, read the manual and whatnot. I joined a server and played as an alien for a couple minutes, and had my name set as New Player (hoping it might encourage some mercy/tips from others). Basically, it seemed from some of the chat going on that a few people were obviously annoyed by my playing, and after a few minutes I was kicked out and got a message that I was banned for 30 something thousand minutes (something like that). I don't get it, I was trying to kill marines, wasn't griefing or anything... Is this typical? Doesn't seem to be a whole ton of servers/players, so I'm not sure if it's really worth trying to play again or not...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->It's only typical of a ###### server. Pick a new one and try again.

Not sure if this was a US server you tried out (the Euro servers are fairly good on the whole) but unfortunately because the mod is so old there are certain 'expectations' of players. There is a little bit of a "you're doing it wrong" mentality, but if you explain that you're new you shouldn't be hassled. I hope your second experience is more enjoyable.

P.S. To add to what Bacillus said:

- If you're an Alien always have the flashlight turned on (really helps hunting Marines)

- If you're a Skulk try to Parasite first, then attack. This way if you die your teammates can hunt and finish off the target. If you only have time to Parasite one player, try to get the one with the Shotgun or Heavy Armour (basically the highest-threat target). This will help the Skulks and Lerks avoid it and the Fades to focus on it.

- Binding 'LastInv' (Last Weapon) to a button might help you with your Parasiting. It's particularly useful in the first few minutes of a game where the Marines can die to exactly 2 Skulk Bites and a Parasite.

- Although it might be tempting to go Fade on an ns_ map, I would practise first in co_ or against bots on ns_ maps (just remember that on co_ there are usually server plugins running that can distort the default armour and damage values). The Fade is the most crucial and high-pressurised role in the game and the most difficult to master - losing a Fade can spell defeat for the Alien team. If it's reached the end of the game and the Marines are obviously going to lose, this is another time to try out Fade without fear of being berated for dying early.

- As a Marine use your map. When you're walking through safe areas check your minimap for flashing red Resource Towers that need protecting. When you're building alone, always have your map up - this can often reveal Skulks within line of sight that you haven't noticed (e.g. on the ceiling). It also lets you follow the progress of the game, know where everyone around you is dying, so you can reinforce to the most vulnerable or advantageous area once you finish building.

- As a Marine try to jump when a Skulk goes in for an attack. The knockback will give you a bit of extra time before they can land their next bite and during which you can land a few extra bullets.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    edited January 2010
    Didn't anybody tell you?

The game is <b>serious business.</b>

But ###### them.

When NS2 comes out I'm getting a server, and with that server I will ban the "pro only" crew and let them play on their ###### server... So only the normal people can play on my server.

Tip : Don't name yourself new player and play on CO_ maps.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    do you recall what server it was?

if you were playing on evolve and were being completely clueless then I could see you being banned, however if you communicate with your team, always bite / knife resource nodes, and are generally helpful and show a desire to improve you will be tolerated and welcomed!

Communication is key, also work on your bunnyhopping as alien and glide jumping as marine.

Welcome to ns btw, I've never found another game that plays like ns does when it hits on all cylinders. You need a team to function in concert like a well oiled machine or you will surely get destroyed, some places expect you to have a solid grasp of the basics

learning how to block fades is also a fun thing
  • c3ntauriusc3ntaurius Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43304Members
    And if your are starting, go as marine first!
  • hellokittyhellokitty riotkitty Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15348Members
    Some of the old regulars are not patient enough to play with new players.

I hope that experience does not deter your interest in playing NS. Like PiPi said, I'd try playing on a different server.
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    There always was some degree of elitism in NS since the beginning. Now only the bitter jerks remain though , it's not surprising.
    Hopefully NS2 should "reset" the community and be playable for everyone.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749690:date=Jan 29 2010, 09:14 AM:name=Stakhanov)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stakhanov @ Jan 29 2010, 09:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749690"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There always was some degree of elitism in NS since the beginning. Now only the bitter jerks remain though , it's not surprising.
    Hopefully NS2 should "reset" the community and be playable for everyone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hah. Then we just have NS1 vets going "I was on the pro circuit for NS1 you nubs"
  • GnubboloGnubbolo Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62793Members
    stats are really important in pub server.
    if u are new in a pub server and u made a bad killing rateo when an admin is watching, u are banned or kicked, is normal.
    an admin of nstalent kick me cause bad rateo, is normal, im not a camper, i am an idiot ninja and i die 50 times.
    i accept the rules and now i play only in europe :)