Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update (Build 136)

Comments

• PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2010
    Sure but serious, why the h. you see the skulk in his mouth?!?! (Why not have a camera inside the marines mouth)
    Totaly unreal, i know its like in ns1 but it sucks too, because 1. you see not much til nothing because if he bites, he close the mouth (normaly the mouth is closed and open if you bite so its unreal²)
    Please change this!
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1751569:date=Feb 7 2010, 02:37 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 7 2010, 02:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sure but serious, why the h. you see the skulk in his mouth?!?! (Why not have a camera inside the marines mouth)
    Totaly unreal, i know its like in ns1 but it sucks too, because 1. you see not much til nothing because if he bites, he close the mouth (normaly the mouth is closed and open if you bite so its unreal²)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You just answered your own question, and the camera is inside the marine's mouth - it's called muzzleflash.
  • Jackson3113Jackson3113 Join Date: 2008-05-16 Member: 64272Members
    <!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->OH ###### A GORGE IS RUNNING AT ME!! SHOOT THE CEILING!! QUICK!!! <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

pistol is too fat, most of the sound effects are seem pretty bad (especially the skulk walking)
    otherwise looks like it's coming together :)
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    It's actually a good sign that most of the criticism is towards Charlie's awful aim and obviously placeholder sound effects.

Apart from all that impotent rage spouted off by internet troll superstar 'C4K3'. I have a hard time taking any of that seriously, so thanks for a good laugh.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Having your mouse sensitivity way too high is clearly a valid way to show your disapproval at a game.. I love our community.
  • [WHO]Mr.Black[WHO]Mr.Black Join Date: 2009-06-14 Member: 67841Members
    well it looks great so far. I've got my fingers crossed. Keep up the good work everyone!
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    I can't quite tell if you're all being facetious but in case it wasn't obvious, he doesn't have sensitivity problems because he wasn't trying to shoot the gorge, he was trying to shoot the skulk running at him on the ceiling. You know - kill the deadliest target first? NSPlayers.
  • [WHO]Mr.Black[WHO]Mr.Black Join Date: 2009-06-14 Member: 67841Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751596:date=Feb 7 2010, 01:49 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Feb 7 2010, 01:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't quite tell if you're all being facetious but in case it wasn't obvious, he doesn't have sensitivity problems because he wasn't trying to shoot the gorge, he was trying to shoot the skulk running at him on the ceiling. You know - kill the deadliest target first? NSPlayers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    uh... they were both skulks.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751534:date=Feb 7 2010, 03:15 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Feb 7 2010, 03:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751534"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No one has said the maps suck yet. This is good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

not enough like tanith for my liking. what the ######, dux ?
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Lets hope visuals and balance don't fail, when every decent player cranks up the gamma to avoid this currently dark mess.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    If that was indeed Charlie shooting at the ceiling, it reminded me years ago when I joined a server and Flayra was playing, he was being mocked how bad he was at the game, heh. He didn't seem to mind, he agreed.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1751534:date=Feb 7 2010, 04:15 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Feb 7 2010, 04:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751534"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No one has said the maps suck yet. This is good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We were just biting our tongues in here, #nsmapping was not being kind to them, earlier.
    But to be honest, it's different seeing them in a video and actually playing them, as you'd be much more immersed and appreciative of detail while in-game
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    edited February 2010
    *let's not use personal insults* --Comprox
  • C4K3C4K3 Join Date: 2008-01-26 Member: 63502Banned, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1751586:date=Feb 7 2010, 03:12 AM:name=Supernorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Supernorn @ Feb 7 2010, 03:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's actually a good sign that most of the criticism is towards Charlie's awful aim and obviously placeholder sound effects.

Apart from all that impotent rage spouted off by internet troll superstar 'C4K3'. I have a hard time taking any of that seriously, so thanks for a good laugh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Glad you like it. Lately, the best joke around here is UWE itself and its fanboy base hitting the paypal button, actually. The second best joke is the remainings of a dead CAL american community playing NS on a daily basis while raging about how much NS2 sucks monkey balls with all those retarded mutilations in the gameplay like no parasite, no devour, axes instead knifes, idiotic shaved baboons running in a hallway, flametowers from the WWI in spacestations and pfffffff a pretty huge list of funny crap. We usually rage in evolvens dot com. Take a look there for more hysterical laughing and impotent hate towards UWE.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1751636:date=Feb 7 2010, 03:01 PM:name=C4K3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C4K3 @ Feb 7 2010, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Glad you like it. Lately, the best joke around here is UWE itself and its fanboy base hitting the paypal button, actually. The second best joke is the remainings of a dead CAL american community playing NS on a daily basis while raging about how much NS2 sucks monkey balls with all those retarded mutilations in the gameplay like no parasite, no devour, axes instead knifes, idiotic shaved baboons running in a hallway, flametowers from the WWI in spacestations and pfffffff a pretty huge list of funny crap. We usually rage in evolvens dot com. Take a look there for more hysterical laughing and impotent hate towards UWE.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wish you that you will have tons of fun with NS2. :)
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    hahaha, like axe instead of knife have any difference on gameplay, or how a game in pre-alpha that has not been tested can suddenly verify things like no parasite (there was a parasite or hive-sight sprite in the video even!) thus far in the development.
    I hope you guys at evolvens.com realize the irony just from the name on the website as well? Seems like you lot probably are better off playing NS <i>or </i>just make an effort to bring back the old NS1 gameplay by planning a mod instead. Anything is better than just blowing off steam and flaming on a game in development.

Oh yeah, you're blocked for good measure.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1751614:date=Feb 7 2010, 07:30 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Feb 7 2010, 07:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We were just biting our tongues in here, #nsmapping was not being kind to them, earlier.
    But to be honest, it's different seeing them in a video and actually playing them, as you'd be much more immersed and appreciative of detail while in-game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would be nice to hear some outside criticism on them. What was said?
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    edited February 2010
    I just looked at the evolvens.com forum... It's as if the people who troll YouTube comments suddenly started NS1...

The people (casual ns players at best) I showed the video to, generally said 4 things:
    1. It looks like NS.
    2. It looks unfinished.
    3. It is very pretty for an indie game.
    4. The skulk walking noise is wth.

EDIT: Pipi was sent a message to avoid derailing the topic.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2010
    C4K3 why is there so much hate in you? There are few ways of showing your concerns about ns2 - your choice is the wrong way...

Your mind isnt open enough that things can be changed everyday? You can make a list of things you dont like and wait for the rest of the community to agree or disagree but flaming like and old sailor just makes you look like an ignorant little internetz kid playing god of all knowledge.

You got your view and others got their view... if you are not able to make them understand what you mean and why they should care - flaming them how "stupid"(UWE FANBOYZ) they are wont bring you any further...

If you dont care, why are u still here? We will start laughing about you, even if you think its the other way around - thats just in your mind (and yours only).

Grow up, and show you are a man.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751641:date=Feb 7 2010, 03:15 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Feb 7 2010, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would be nice to hear some outside criticism on them. What was said?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The quality of one of the levels is lacking much more so compared to the other two. Example screenshot below showing a refinary/mining level with atmosphere, a strong theme going and then the lower two shots have no real design. They're just flat standard textured walls with a couple of props placed in a random way.

<a href="http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/9582/quality2010x1.jpg" target="_blank">http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/9582/quality2010x1.jpg</a>

One shot looks 'next-gen' quality you would want in NS2. The bottom two look like someones only just received NS1 and a map editor. Too harsh? Perhaps, although personally for me, it lacks the quality which the post your screenshots thread can match and exceed.* where as the top is on par with what you would expect to see.
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751581:date=Feb 7 2010, 09:42 AM:name=Jackson3113)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jackson3113 @ Feb 7 2010, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751581"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->OH ###### A GORGE IS RUNNING AT ME!! SHOOT THE CEILING!! QUICK!!! <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

pistol is too fat, most of the sound effects are seem pretty bad (especially the skulk walking)
    otherwise looks like it's coming together :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was happy i don´t see these kind of people like you in ns1, i hope ns2 will have the same tiny count of ...
    If you mean at 0:56, he is shooting at the skulk at the ceiling...

<!--quoteo(post=1751573:date=Feb 7 2010, 09:19 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Feb 7 2010, 09:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751573"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You just answered your own question, and the camera is inside the marine's mouth - it's called muzzleflash.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    oh noes, another of them, i hope the game is to scary for them.
    with the marines mouth was a joke, very hard to understand...NOT

Like i say, i hope they change the camera of the skulk and change the walking sound, but its still pre-alpha so i don´t care about sounds.
    A game don´t need to be realistic but this camera inside the skulk´s mouth is confusing (i use custom model with original ns1 because it takes the whole screen, yeah i was playing with a 15 inch Display!)
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751654:date=Feb 7 2010, 06:58 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 7 2010, 06:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One shot looks 'next-gen' quality you would want in NS2. The bottom two look like someones only just received NS1 and a map editor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Huh. I actually like the two ones below better... Maybe because they remind me of Half-Life.

I would disagree with lack of design too: quick-n-dirtily constructed environments with no regard for aesthetics would make sense in a world where resources are scarce enough to fight alien armies over them.
    edited February 2010
    the graphics are totaly beautiful for a indiegame, its the own engine of a very small team called Unknown worlds entertainment, so its the best engine i saw for a indiegame, i hope the game itself is good, like hit-detection, walking and other stuff which is more important then the graphics...argh kids.
  • NyfNyf Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70468Members
    Looking great. I remember how much I loved NS1 way, way back in the day. Haven't played it for years, but from what I remember this looks like a much updated version. Of course its still got some issues, otherwise it would be released, so no big deal. Keep up the good work, hopefully those pre-orders keep comin' in for you so you can get the polish on this and take it up just that final notch to make it the superb game its shaping up to be!
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    OMG THE GAME ISN'T PERFECT AND HAS LAG AND LOW FPS WHY ISN'T PREALPHA PERFECT?

Seriously...for a prealpha, this looks really, really good. And has solid FPS for a prealpha tbh. Too many ppl looking at this from an end product standpoint. I think this looks fantastic. Some core gameplay elements are in, some decen models, the maps runs and ppl can connect, I'd call that some successful footage.
    <!--quoteo(post=1751652:date=Feb 7 2010, 09:43 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Feb 7 2010, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Grow up, and show you are a man.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. * laughing like a french ###### *

Since most of the good veteran players of all time are so pissed to post / read anything over here I think it would be a good idea bring to you some quotations, guess who said what:

"skulk view still looks like ######. looks like a 9 year old who just learned photoshop made it. either make it 3-D, or leave out the teeth."

"LOL they just love that word "indie", the phrase "indie game[s]" appears 5 times in the 1st paragraph; pretty soon those awards are gonna have olive branches around them"

"Game of the year for unreleased games. It's like giving an award for a ###### movie trailer and taking it seriously. I'm actually disgusted."

"One of the main principles of military leadership is unity of command. A CLEAR CHAIN OF COMMAND. It's so ###### obvious that there are two ######gots with zero military experience making this game."

"I think baddies like the idea of the flamethrower because you don't really have to aim all that well and the damage is persistent even after you die. It's one of the playing field levelers. Skill-less garbage."

"don't worry guys they have to release something eventually, and then we unleash an unholy apocalypse of exploiting on neo-g4b2s and voogru"

"As I said before, jokes on all you who pre purchased the game."
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited February 2010
    Man. I sure am glad these "good veteran players" are so disgusted. I wouldn't want to play with such whiny prepubescent brats, it completely ruins a game no matter how good it is.

Maybe we can implement Critical Hits or some other useless crap to keep even more of them at bay?.. It might be worth the sacrifice...
    Who is considered a veteran player?
    <!--quoteo(post=1751680:date=Feb 7 2010, 11:35 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 7 2010, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751680"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who is considered a veteran player?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

exCAL or ENSL + consties + positive score in most scenarios, steam rating 10 playing NS the last 6 years + trolling several NS related forums + making valuable things for the current NS community player base.
    So you just basically said the whole of the forums.

I don't agree with what your friends from evolvens have said.