Alien vs Predator discussion

Comments

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    the game is just really clunky - its not smooth like any of the half life 1 / 2 games which are really fluid, its easy to shoot and move around

even being an alien or predator i feel like im driving a truck or fork lift around instead of being a swift creature
  • GregzenegairGregzenegair Join Date: 2009-06-26 Member: 67944Members
    I played it 2 times, one in alien, the other in marines.

- In aliens, you are always grabing the floor, you can insta kill pressing E, and give some slashes, not so funny, not handable at all. movements suck.

-In marines, when you shoot, the sprite of the flames hide a great part of the screen, making you unable to aim correctly.

=> This is Epic Fail, no interest at all, the game is a ###### console port.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2010
    The Videos and Trailers looked so nice, but the Demo tells me this will be a good singleplayer expirience only - sad.

Its like L4D2... i just doesnt feel good.

Alien wallclimbing just makes you disoriented, no leap, predators melee is stronger(it kinda stuns or turns my vision - am i wrong?)/equal -> no fun.
    Marines flashlight is too weak to see anything in these dark maps, and if you get something in your vision - the muzzleflash of the weapon destroys it - i have to spray and pray instead of aiming - getting the autogun is the only viable option. (if you dont meet a predator on the way)
    Predator is OP giving him as strong melee attaks as the alien has + explosive/onehit kill weapons.

(1hour play testing all races.)

Conclusion: Overhyped Consolegame - like Battlefield BC2. Most idiots will buy it.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    If there is one thing we can learn from the original NS: Server performance is critical to a successful launch.
    If there's one thing we can learn from AvP3: UWE need to get their server browser (steamworks etc.) right for launch.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1750898:date=Feb 5 2010, 10:54 AM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Feb 5 2010, 10:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If there is one thing we can learn from the original NS: Server performance is critical to a successful launch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Any idea why an experienced developer team like Rebellion would end up releasing the demo without dedicated servers?
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    Poor management. Pressure from publisher.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1750902:date=Feb 5 2010, 06:21 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Feb 5 2010, 06:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Poor management. Pressure from publisher.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nope - Xbox.

It's a console game and that's what console games are like - no dedicated servers. Note all the demos of the SP on youtube are from the console versions, just like Bioshock and all those other sucky FPS's.

They don't care if anyone buys the PC version, as long as the Xbox/PS3 versions sell.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1750913:date=Feb 5 2010, 07:40 AM:name=Stardog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stardog @ Feb 5 2010, 07:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They don't care if anyone buys the PC version, as long as the Xbox/PS3 versions sell.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's where the money is and they need to cater to that audience to be successful. Btw, dedicated servers are in the full game.
  • PolskaPolska Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10782Members
    edited February 2010
    Was not impressed by the demo. I had high hopes for this game (hence I have a pre order). I am tempted to switch pre orders, but am still holding onto a glimmer of hope. The PC demo was dx9 only, which I am hoping is the reason for lack of wow factor in the graphics department. Hopefully sp and other mp modes spice things up with gemeplay.
  • TherapyFailedTherapyFailed Join Date: 2010-01-10 Member: 70030Members
    Another console port ....

Menus - quite painful to get around with all the flashes like loging, connecting and what not... Not my style.

Matchmaking - it had never worked for me well. Usually half of the time spend in game i was waiting in the lobby (talking about the first and only game i bought that had matchmaking - L4D). All the bad feelings repeated in AVP and this is where i drew the line. I will never again buy another game that uses this awful and cripled console style of searching a game.

Well after about 10minutes i have finally joined a game. Played for few minutes and uninstalled. Console smell all over. Don't even ask me what bothered me, because i really don't know. Its just one of those things i know i will not enjoy.

Back to "real" PC games for now, until NS2 comes out. But im really afraid of them designing a game for all the retards on Xbox at the same time as for PC. Its almost bound to get too simplified. I really hope not, but with all that crap coming out on PC lately in getting prepared for worst case scenario...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <b>Like</b>: The idea of AVP3.

<b>Dislike</b>:
    Demo matchmaking. Takes ages to do anything, then when you finally connect to a server it implodes and ur thrown back to the menu screen.
    Demo Graphics.
    Motionblur. It's so over-powering I cant see sh*t if I move my mouse much
    Gun-Flare. It's huge. Cant see sh*t.
    Alien view turning around. They should do it like in NS1 with Skulks. AVP3 as Alien is so disorientating I couldn't play for more than 10 mins.
    People hogging Predator. Still not played as him yet.
    Demo map. It's like 'My First Quake 3 map'. I feel like I played that map years ago. Not engaging, original. Terrible.
    Options Menu: Like, what the hell. I cant alter hardly any GFX options or anything. Where can I disable the motion blur if I want to? Tweak for speed?

If Sega/rebellion wanted bad press for the PC version, they're doing a really good job about it.

UWE: PLEASE, do a Post-Mortem on AVP3. It will help. Do not launch anything like this crap. A bad demo can kill a game. AVP3 Demo isn't a Demo. It's a Beta. Tt even says "This is pre-release code".

I pre-ordered the special edition of AVP3 (and NS2). I really hope they fix a few of these problems in the final version.
  • SypherZSypherZ Join Date: 2003-09-07 Member: 20639Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1750931:date=Feb 5 2010, 03:22 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Feb 5 2010, 03:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750931"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Dislike</b>:
    Demo matchmaking. Takes ages to do anything, then when you finally connect to a server it implodes and ur thrown back to the menu screen.
    Alien view turning around. They should do it like in NS1 with Skulks. AVP3 as Alien is so disorientating I couldn't play for more than 10 mins.
    Demo map. It's like 'My First Quake 3 map'. I feel like I played that map years ago. Not engaging, original. Terrible.
    Options Menu: Like, what the hell. I cant alter hardly any GFX options or anything. Where can I disable the motion blur if I want to? Tweak for speed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All i can say is, i agree with everything but what you say about the alien, at first i was very disoriented but ive grown to like it after playing around with the alien quite a bit, took me some time to get used to it on the ground, and then i started climbing around the walls and i can say that it suits me for now.
    Sure the Fov couldve been greater but its fine for me, just takes time to learn :P

About the other points quoted, i hate the match making system, what happened to the good old list?
    Demo map, well, it is a demo but they couldve done it nicer to ecourage people to buy the game...

And options, well they suck. It feels like this is ported from the xbox. FPS games should always be built for PCs first handed, because PCs are where FPS games are played...
  • SgtPrinnySgtPrinny Join Date: 2009-08-18 Member: 68526Members
    edited February 2010
    Hopefully AvP3 will support modding, so people can make a mod of that doesn't have all these drawbacks...

I don't think it's BAD like most seem people to say, but it does have quite a few problems...
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited February 2010
    Some things i didn't like, for example the predator should come equipped with every weapon (copying AVP2 for uber badassness).

Otherwise i liked it... my favorite thing is how easy it is to drop those fades... couple shots to the head and that thing is just a pile of ###### sizzling on the ground :P

Also liked the pistols 3 round burst... something tells me it will be more badass then what TSA (transit authority) marines get 10 years from now when the alpha is out.

Hmm i wonder if AVP3 started development after NS2... can't wait to buy it in a few weeks lmao.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't have the bandwidth to waste on the demo atm, but everything I'm reading here seems to indicate that alot of the features people hate (kill moves, movement, environment) suck in multiplayer deathmatch, but sound really cool as a single player game.

Plus choosing Deathmatch is probably the worst mode they could have demo'd. Either Infestation, Predator Hunt, or Survivor would have been far better and more in line with what the game really is.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    everyone seems to gripe about deathmatch, which i agree tends to suck in deathmatch, but in a team oriented online game it can be very awesome, promoting teamwork and sticking together, while punishing those who run off on their own.
  • UnsichtbarUnsichtbar Join Date: 2008-08-05 Member: 64757Members
    edited February 2010
    I had the chance to play 2 hours AvP singleplayer last year. Compared to this "demo" thats out the the game i saw on the xbox was more advanced. Did love the first two parts in around 2k based on the unreal engine i think.

It reminds me about the skulk movement what i always though in ns was to static, alien movement cam and view in AvP is again great and way more relalistic and fun then any gameplay with the skulk in ns ever was. If think the biggest mistake for the skulk was to keep the view so static, you lose the feeling for it and how much fun it can be to climb a wall.

If i had something to say i would add in ns2 the alien movement for the skulk and add some casual gamer elements like jump as a skulk down on to a marine and bite hin in the shoulder / back so he falls down on his knees (with limited damage but take em out of the game for a few sec), marine player has to push buttons or move the mouse to get you off while he is down / and or some one can or must help you get the skulk off (hello left 4 dead). Would add a lot more action and fun, less static gameplay.
  • jaminjamin Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63332Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751274:date=Feb 6 2010, 08:10 AM:name=Unsichtbar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Unsichtbar @ Feb 6 2010, 08:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-snip-<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, just no.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751274:date=Feb 6 2010, 03:10 AM:name=Unsichtbar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Unsichtbar @ Feb 6 2010, 03:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It reminds me about the skulk movement what i always though in ns was to static, alien movement cam and view in AvP is again great and way more relalistic and fun then any gameplay with the skulk in ns ever was. If think the biggest mistake for the skulk was to keep the view so static, you lose the feeling for it and how much fun it can be to climb a wall.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gameplay > Realism

Trust me, AvP is crap.... but again, why do people love McDonald's ?!
  • DupoxDupox Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70455Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751274:date=Feb 6 2010, 09:10 AM:name=Unsichtbar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Unsichtbar @ Feb 6 2010, 09:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had the chance to play 2 hours AvP singleplayer last year. Compared to this "demo" thats out the the game i saw on the xbox was more advanced. Did love the first two parts in around 2k based on the unreal engine i think.

It reminds me about the skulk movement what i always though in ns was to static, alien movement cam and view in AvP is again great and way more relalistic and fun then any gameplay with the skulk in ns ever was. If think the biggest mistake for the skulk was to keep the view so static, you lose the feeling for it and how much fun it can be to climb a wall.

If i had something to say i would add in ns2 the alien movement for the skulk and add some casual gamer elements like jump as a skulk down on to a marine and bite hin in the shoulder / back so he falls down on his knees (with limited damage but take em out of the game for a few sec), marine player has to push buttons or move the mouse to get you off while he is down / and or some one can or must help you get the skulk off (hello left 4 dead). Would add a lot more action and fun, less static gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, no, no, and NO !
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    playing as an alien in avp3 really reminds me of how good it is in ns1 how the view doesnt change - ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY PROPERLY WHEN THE VIEW IS GOING UPSIDE DOWN EVERY 2 SECONDS!!!
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    Yeah the game is kind of neat but there doesn't seem to be much depth and the controls are horrible. Especially for the aliens. I was looking forward to facepaced alien gameplay but they are just slow and clumsy.

Unless I hear REALLY good stuff about it when it actually is released I likely will not buy it. This is early code though, so fingers are crossed. I anticipate NS2 to be much better than this though.

This is a pretty cool community, btw (new to registration, not new to lurking the forums here). With the exception of Focusedwolf everyone seems pretty down to earth about what makes a game good. Just preordered NS2 so I will roam the forums a bit more now.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751497:date=Feb 7 2010, 12:04 AM:name=celewign)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (celewign @ Feb 7 2010, 12:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah the game is kind of neat but there doesn't seem to be much depth and the controls are horrible. Especially for the aliens. I was looking forward to facepaced alien gameplay but they are just slow and clumsy.

Unless I hear REALLY good stuff about it when it actually is released I likely will not buy it. This is early code though, so fingers are crossed. I anticipate NS2 to be much better than this though.

This is a pretty cool community, btw (new to registration, not new to lurking the forums here). With the exception of Focusedwolf everyone seems pretty down to earth about what makes a game good. Just preordered NS2 so I will roam the forums a bit more now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Making friends on the first post? :p
  • UnsichtbarUnsichtbar Join Date: 2008-08-05 Member: 64757Members
    edited February 2010
    Just try to focus your cam / aim / mouse on your target and use your peripheral view for the rest of your movements. I had a lot of fun playing the first two parts of AvP 10 years back and the new "demo" was fun too. Well the few public session ware crap i had, deathmatch sucks in avp, with friends aliens vs marines, it was a lot of fun yesterday :D

I like the changing aliens view, its more fun for me to play this way but i had it allready mastered during a lot of gameplay hours 10 years ago so it was not that hard to get into it again. It would change NS2 for the better i think, less space marine counter strike, more real skill based movement - oh yeah - i almost forgot, "bunny hopping" is skill too ;)

The second part i really always missed was the skulk bite, it never had a feeling that it would be a real bite i was like jumping or touching the marine with your nose and make damage that way. In AvP i like the new finishing moves, they are really violent but what can you expect form an hostile alien creature in a fight of life and death? It gave me that feeling i'm playing this really dangerous creature from another world :D
  • CricketCricket Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67603Members
    There's a few things I like in AVP. For one, I like the transitions an alien can do by jumping at a wall, the way his hands spring out and he catches on and continues his run. That's pretty cool. However, the fact that the alien is pretty much glued to the ground ( or other surface ) I don't like. I played a lot of AVP2. A lot. So it just feels funky in this that the alien has no way to toggle between sticking to something and not sticking to something. Maybe it's just the really confined, narrow space and the size of the alien that makes him a little unwieldy at times.

As for controls, this game definitely feels very much a console game, so I have more fun playing with the PS3 controller.
  • RisenRisen Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70459Members
    Well, seems like the majority of the posters in this thread just flat-out don't like the demo...
    either I have very low standards, or people are too picky (watchout ns2beta lol), because I thought the demo was great!

Marines are fantastic, especially if you manage to find another marine and work out a mutual agreement where you don't kill each other, lol.

Predators are great as well, very similar to AvP 2.

Aliens are a bit difficult to manage, but you get the hang of it after a couple rounds. One thing I'm not a fan of is the hold mouse3 to change from floor - > wall -> ceiling etc, would be nice to just climb walls by default (like NS) and maybe hold mouse 3 to not transition to walls/ceiling.

Didn't feel much lag in the p2p games, so dedicated will be awesome.

I will be buying this game, seems quite promising to me.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    One thing i like is aliens skill required in actually moving around, like seriously its not just getting used to but skill to be able to understand where your target is and trace him whilst wall walking

then i found out pressing focus allows you to lock onto enemies and spam first click to win the fight 90% of the time...
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Ugh found this: <a href="http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-09/power-loader-real-still-no-word-aliens-though" target="_blank">http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009...d-aliens-though</a>
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751506:date=Feb 6 2010, 07:32 PM:name=Tha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tha @ Feb 6 2010, 07:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One thing i like is aliens skill required in actually moving around, like seriously its not just getting used to but skill to be able to understand where your target is and trace him whilst wall walking

then i found out pressing focus allows you to lock onto enemies and spam first click to win the fight 90% of the time...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the autoaim is ridiculous. its too easy to hit.
  • spacedanielspacedaniel Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69348Members
    Not impressed. Period.