Spark Engine Q&A

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
I am planning on writing a blog post to answer questions about the Spark engine and related technology. If you have any questions you'd like to see answered, please e-mail them to me at <a href="mailto:max@unknownworlds.com">max@unknownworlds.com</a>.

Comments

• PopenatorPopenator Join Date: 2009-08-27 Member: 68617Members
    What exactly do you mean when you refer to 'related technology'? Can you give a quick example of what kind of questions you plan to answer?
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I sent a list of questions :3

Hope they're good ones!
  • gamakungamakun Join Date: 2007-11-20 Member: 62971Members, Constellation
    I think Max means by related technology by stuff like physics and whatnot's.
  • Dauntl3ssDauntl3ss Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7737Members
    Can we ask Spark Editor related questions?
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    What are you using for physics? Havok or did you make you're own for the engine?
    (Even VALVe relied on Havok for HL2. hehe)

Oh, and obviously you can get a lot of questions from <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=106596" target="_blank">this thread</a> too, Max.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    It would be nice to see a general list of pros and cons of the engine as well (advantages and limitations, that kind of thing)
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    lets see if my questions gets answered
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    I sent you some penis enlargement mail, is that okay? Nothing personal, I'm just tired of it piling up in my inbox.
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    How are you getting rid of dead bodies?

Bacteria and nanites disassembling them with a red-greenish or blue particle effect, or something completely different?
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1750215:date=Feb 1 2010, 04:21 PM:name=Popenator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Popenator @ Feb 1 2010, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What exactly do you mean when you refer to 'related technology'? Can you give a quick example of what kind of questions you plan to answer?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'll answer any question that I think would be interesting for people to read about. Specific ones are the best.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2010
    Will there be entities with targets on trigger/end/death like NS1 had or are we supposed to use LUA to check for those things instead?

And of course do we have to reset triggers and stuff like we had to do in NS1 on a round end or will the engine handle those things as well?
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    Hope one of my many questions receive an answer.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    How does the engine handle light shining through <b>mostly</b>-transparent windows?

How many light sources do you expect to be able to have in a room before performance starts to degrade unacceptably?

Is there any kind of LOD scaling on world models?

Any plans for height-mapped surfaces?

Are sound environments flagged with marker entities, or are they decided upon automatically?

How does your animation blending system handle quadrupeds? Remembering that goldsrc's didn't do it very well.

Is there anything in the physics system that prevents intersection of ragdoll models? Will corpses be physically-operable and server-side?

Is there any kind of bounce-lighting? Or are shadows going to be solid black without explicit lighting?

--Scythe--
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    How flexable is the engine, or rather, how "future proof" is it? Are there any texture size/polygon limits? 10 years from now will Spark be able to grow and keep up with new engines that come out? Kind of like how Source has improved and grown over the years, but I'd hope Spark will be even more flexible.