NS wont start

TrinicleTrinicle Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69875Members
When I start up Natural Selction, my screen goes black and I hear a short audio clip from the game repeating over and over. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Comments

• TrinicleTrinicle Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69875Members
    Nothing? At All? I thought this was Tech Support...
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    Are you running it in OpenGL ?

Are your graphic's card drivers up-to-date?

You can also try re-installing NS, it takes a minute or two.
    All of my games default start up in OpenGL so if it's not running in that I don't know how to change that. Every other game on my steam list runs fine so I'm also assuming there's nothing wrong with my graphics card drivers. Also I did reinstall, twice.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    Are you running other games or mods in the Half Life 1 engine?

If not, you might consider re-installing Half life, so that you make sure all the files are there and re-installing NS over again, after HL.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    A fresh HL1 and NS installation also requires that you run Half-Life at least once using the hazard course for instance. And is has to be the 1998 release of HL1, not the source re-release :)
    I haven't run Half life yet, so I'll try that and get back to you.
    For some reason Half Life wont work either. Deleted local content and re-installed, the game starts up, screen goes black for a 2nd and it closes before it reaches the menu.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    Yah, problem is with your system and Half-Life. My off the cuff guess would be something stealing focus from HL, either malware or something like a virus scanner or IM client.

Things to do:
    1) Do a full malware scan (AVG/Avast/Windows Defender/Spybot/whatever)
    2) Shut down all nonessential programs
    3) Check out steampowered.com's knowledge base.
    First I'm gonna try removing all of my half life 1 mods. All of my source mods run fine, but for some reason, no half life 1 mods will run, such as CS 1.6 or Half Life itself. I'm running a full system scan now, but one was run two days ago only to find nothing.
    Ran a full system scan, checked firewalls and there's nothing. No virus or anything, all of my firewalls have anything from steam allowed.
    When I start half life, the start screen comes up, well, kind of. Gordon Freeman comes up with his gun or whatever for a few seconds, then the screen goes black for a second, and shows back up on my desktop like I would close out the game. No messages, no errors, nothing.
    Any ideas?
    Just found a post on steam forums with someone having the same problem with me. Had to add steam and half life to my DEP, it runs now. I'm sure this has fixed my problem if not I will be back for more help.
    Thanks to everyone who posted :D.
    -Kyle
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1746937:date=Jan 12 2010, 08:14 AM:name=TinCan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TinCan @ Jan 12 2010, 08:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746937"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DEP?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Vista

"Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature that can help prevent damage to your computer from viruses and other security threats"