Special?

RavenessRaveness Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60229Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Will it be unqiue anymore?</div>I've noticed while browsing through some of the *Why i pre-ordered* posts that alot of people were suckers for the black armor. That made me think about the statistics about how the $220000 raised a good portion of that (5000 people maybe?) were the special edition which included black armor.

Will the black armor be all that special if EVERYONE has it?

Just a thought ^_^

Comments

• Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    Actually it's something like 90%. Yep.

But not all copies are sold yet. People who pre-order are usually the ones with keen interest in the game, so it's somewhat logical they'll go for the extra items, and for developer support.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I would be surprised if the 5000 preorders make up even 10% of the day-one population.
  • RavenessRaveness Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60229Members
    Really? The numbers i heard last time i checked were about 5879 or something like that pre-orders total. Or that was an estimate approximation with all these math people checking results.

But i mean i understand alot of people are keen in the game and dev support, but if a few people pulled what ODST did and pre-ordered for the unique in-game color, well if we have that 90% with the *unique* style isn't that going to upset some people?
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1743574:date=Dec 12 2009, 10:30 AM:name=Raveness)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raveness @ Dec 12 2009, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really? The numbers i heard last time i checked were about 5879 or something like that pre-orders total. Or that was an estimate approximation with all these math people checking results.

But i mean i understand alot of people are keen in the game and dev support, but if a few people pulled what ODST did and pre-ordered for the unique in-game color, well if we have that 90% with the *unique* style isn't that going to upset some people?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We have 90% of the people who preordered a game with no set release date that has had zero advertising. When the game actually comes out, you can bet the people buying it are going to be much more numerous and swamp the small number of fans who preordered the special edition.
    Ah, well another thing, do we have estimated number of servers upon release? I'd feel silly to join a server with everyone having pre-ordered, is it going to be spaced out? Besides player servers how many will be UWE servers?
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I doubt UWE will run any servers, like any other game that releases dedicated servers, they will leave it up to the fans to run. And since we have a lot of fans, I expect a lot of servers :)

As for the black armour, the current plan (subject to change) is that it will be stopped being sold once the game is released so the % of people with it will just decrease as more copies get sold.
    edited December 2009
    So there will be no UWE run servers, but are they hosted by UWE?

Edit: As in will there be an inital servers? I've never played a game upon it's release so i don't know how quickly things start out.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Some games release the dedicated server version in advance of the actual game so interested admins have time to set up, but usually there's a lot more players than servers, so expect to see a lot of listenservers ( = one of the players in the server is the host).
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    the game will be out in alpha/beta for a long time at any rate, leaving plenty of time for servers to be set up and tweaked - even with mods - by the time the game goes gold
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    The vast majority of preorders went with the SE I'd say because we're the ones who wanted to get the game off the ground. It's basically end user venture capital, excepting that we're only looking to get the end product, not make money off the deal. Besides, those of us with the armor can say we helped NS2 get off the ground :P
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    Black armour is stupid. It's a TF2-style gimmick that shares the pettiness of "paying for wardrobes" you see in many MMOs. Constellation icons served as more thant enough reminder and have no effect other than possibly e-peen, Black armour however is a possibly game-altering bias that will inevitably cause jading. Everyone knows most "gg"s are used to cover a temporary/permanent lapse in skill, but as it stands, all we'll have now is another "gg" to add to the list: "gg camo".

Especially if it cannot be turned off, NS2's competitive scene will be about as laughable as TF2's or L4D.
    <!--quoteo(post=1743622:date=Dec 13 2009, 03:19 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Dec 13 2009, 03:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Black armour is stupid. It's a TF2-style gimmick that shares the pettiness of "paying for wardrobes" you see in many MMOs. Constellation icons served as more thant enough reminder and have no effect other than possibly e-peen, Black armour however is a possibly game-altering bias that will inevitably cause jading.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In order: personal opinion on forums is invalid by default, TF2 does not have paid wardrobes, constellation icons are pretty much the exact same thing with difference only in representation in-game, black armour would not be included at all if it gave a distinct gameplay advantage.

Please save the rage for some other time. Say, for when we actually get to see the game itself.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1743622:date=Dec 12 2009, 08:19 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Dec 12 2009, 08:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Black armour is stupid. It's a TF2-style gimmick that shares the pettiness of "paying for wardrobes" you see in many MMOs. Constellation icons served as more thant enough reminder and have no effect other than possibly e-peen, Black armour however is a possibly game-altering bias that will inevitably cause jading. Everyone knows most "gg"s are used to cover a temporary/permanent lapse in skill, but as it stands, all we'll have now is another "gg" to add to the list: "gg camo".

Especially if it cannot be turned off, NS2's competitive scene will be about as laughable as TF2's or L4D.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pettiness or elitism, pick your poison.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1743628:date=Dec 13 2009, 01:01 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Dec 13 2009, 01:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743628"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pettiness or elitism, pick your poison.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or... y'know... altruism.

--Scythe--
  • Black_Hawk_VSBlack_Hawk_VS Join Date: 2003-03-13 Member: 14478Members, Constellation
    We get special armor if we bought the special edition (Which I did the first week)? I just did it because I liked UWE and the fact that all the money went to them rather than Best Buy/Walmart/Gamestop/Who ever. And the first sentence is sarcasm. If I got an email tomorrow saying that they have scraped the black armor and there would be no way to tell the difference between those who got the special edition and the people who did not I would not care. Anyone who bought the special edition for the black armor is just self centered. Those are the same people that gave all the constellation members a bad name because 1% (or less) went from server to server to try and show off rather than help the game
  • EnjoyEnjoy Join Date: 2009-11-23 Member: 69487Members
    I payed 20$ more for some gg camo in dark rooms (evil) I know, and they can't scrap it from the game because we already payed for it and that would be faulse advertisment there would have to be some sort of refund, thats how lawsuits start... and I don't care to hear flames, who the hell are you to me anyways.
    <!--quoteo(post=1743697:date=Dec 14 2009, 12:34 AM:name=Enjoy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enjoy @ Dec 14 2009, 12:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I payed 20$ more for some gg camo in dark rooms (evil) I know, and they can't scrap it from the game because we already payed for it and that would be faulse advertisment there would have to be some sort of refund, thats how lawsuits start... and I don't care to hear flames, who the hell are you to me anyways.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aaand you posted just to be a ###### about it?..

gg indeed
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    *click* alien flashlight turns on

aaaand your "advantage" turns to nothing (unless you want to hide from the MARINES)
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1743697:date=Dec 13 2009, 10:34 PM:name=Enjoy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enjoy @ Dec 13 2009, 10:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I payed 20$ more for some gg camo in dark rooms (evil) I know, and they can't scrap it from the game because we already payed for it and that would be faulse advertisment there would have to be some sort of refund, thats how lawsuits start... and I don't care to hear flames, who the hell are you to me anyways.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How about green rooms? D:
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    yes, i took the special edition for the armor and early access, but i couldn't care less if they took it out.
    the bucks are spend, and the one crying for broken eggs is a retard.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    That would be awesome.

Then I Would have "special green armor."

Since everybody else is running around with black armor.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    I just hope when the game goes live, the Blacks get outnumbered by the greens :D
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I somehow don't imagine the game will make black armor a significant advantage, the marines have glowy bits stuck all over them anyway.
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    Hey, what if I *DO* want to hide from marines? ;P Seriously though, I think most of us bought the SE because we wanted to support UWE, not just to get the armor. The only thing that's neat about it is that it shows you were one of the first people to get in and made sure NS2 happened. If you're in it for the ego boost, though, that's kinda not the point. I did it to support a small startup company. They get all my money. If the armor is scrapped or NS2 fails to release, that's the risk we took. Early adopters and whatnot.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure I heard that there would be an option to show or hide the armor. Perhaps, that was just a suggestion gave by someone but i'm pretty sure they would make something similar. To me though when i'm on aliens it wont matter for me considering i always play with my flashlight on! =]
  • JerunkJerunk Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9659Members
    You should have pre-ordered to support the developers, rather than pre-order for a useless skin.

I ordered two copies, one special edition and one standard edition.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    What are you going to do with 2 editions?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited December 2009
    Heh, this reminds me of Sad Kermit cover of Radiohead's Creep.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1K8t3BtNaw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1K8t3BtNaw</a>

"I wish I was special
    You are so f*cking special,
    but I'm Green"
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1743800:date=Dec 14 2009, 01:58 PM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Dec 14 2009, 01:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743800"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What are you going to do with 2 editions?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    One for a friend.
  • EnjoyEnjoy Join Date: 2009-11-23 Member: 69487Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1743705:date=Dec 13 2009, 04:30 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Dec 13 2009, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*click* alien flashlight turns on

aaaand your "advantage" turns to nothing (unless you want to hide from the MARINES)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Last time I looked they never said anything about a "alien flashlight in NS2... Or are you just assuming its goin to be there because NS had it? OR... Did UWE directly contact you telling there putting it in NS2 because you seem vary sure its goin to be there. They have already removed alot of things that was in NS so i'm just assuming there will be no hacklight in NS2 tell told othrewise.
This discussion has been closed.