Do you think Obama deserved the Nobel Peace Prize?

ObamanismObamanism Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69442Banned
i don't think he deserved it. Do you?

Comments

• TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    <!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro--><b>*PHASED.*</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Please keep potentially controversial discussion threads in the Discussions forum, where they belong.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    edited December 2009
    Personally I do not believe he deserved it either. It was awarded for the intent to bring peace, rather than anything peaceful being accomplished. As far as I'm concerned, hand it to him after he cleanly pulls the US troops out of Iraq and leaves a stable government there. Or if he manages to force companies in the US to accept accountability (and fail, as deserved) rather than forking over bailouts.

Ford: You won't buy our ****ty cars, so we'll take your money anyway.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    You know Ford didn't take any money from the government right? The statement kind of loses its edge when you make it up.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1741947:date=Dec 1 2009, 03:14 PM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Talesin @ Dec 1 2009, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1741947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally I do not believe he deserved it either. It was awarded for the intent to bring peace, rather than anything peaceful being accomplished. As far as I'm concerned, hand it to him after he cleanly pulls the US troops out of Iraq and leaves a stable government there. Or if he manages to force companies in the US to accept accountability (and fail, as deserved) rather than forking over bailouts.

Ford: You won't buy our ****ty cars, so we'll take your money anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    BofA paid back its loan. While that bailout was passed on Bush's watch it was up to Obama's administration to actually regulate.
  • CrystalSnakeCrystalSnake Join Date: 2002-01-27 Member: 110Members
    I think Obananism deserves the Nobel Spam Prize!
  • flying_mooseflying_moose Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67676Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1742518:date=Dec 5 2009, 02:13 AM:name=CrystalSnake)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrystalSnake @ Dec 5 2009, 02:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Obananism deserves the Nobel Spam Prize!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seconded
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1742576:date=Dec 5 2009, 05:30 PM:name=flying_moose)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flying_moose @ Dec 5 2009, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742576"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seconded<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yup.

Also isn't this incredibly old news?
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I don't know if I've heard ANYONE say he deserved it. I mean, maybe if he wasn't in charge of two wars right now or something.
  • BobTheJanitorBobTheJanitor Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24228Members, NS1 Playtester
    I think I heard the Nobel committee say he deserved it.

Perhaps our point of view in the USA (those of us posting from here, that is) is not as broad as it could be on this subject. In the international room, we are the 800 pound gorilla with a massive nuclear arsenal stuffed in its pockets. It's crass to say that he won this simply by not being George Bush, but it's not entirely wrong. The previous administration's principles, whether you supported them or not, had quite clearly dropped our popularity on the world stage and were frankly scaring the bejeezus out of a lot of people out there. When this administration came in with clearly stated intentions to get us out of one war and work on bringing an end to another, and has also remained quite serious about the importance of nuclear disarmament... well, suffice it to say this wasn't just a symbolic award.

Whether future actions will live up to it remains to be seen, but I'm not ready to take the cynical view on this yet. Since that's been my position on everything political since the 2000 election debacle, any change is good in my book.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited December 2009
    Well, given that Kissinger won it for the Paris accord, and Dawes for crippling a post-WW1 Germany economically, I think we're long past wondering if the Nobel peace prize is deserved or not. It is often used to influence a peace in the world, rather than to reward previous actions. I think it was awarded to Obama to both acknowledge his potential and to also highlight international opposition to the neocon paradigm.

FWIW, the nations of the world are meeting in Copenhagen this week as a direct result of Obama getting into the Whitehouse. For 8 years the bush policy on global cooperation on anything environmental can be described, at best, as obstructionism.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1742805:date=Dec 7 2009, 09:21 AM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(puzl @ Dec 7 2009, 09:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is often used to influence a peace in the world, rather than to reward previous actions. I think it was awarded to Obama to both acknowledge his potential and to also highlight international opposition to the neocon paradigm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree with the intentions there, but I still keep trying to figure out whether the timing was good or not. On the other hand Obama's status is pretty unstable due to all the major political and economical events going on right now and a year later might be too late. Then again the Nobel looked like a hasty move, not giving him the maximum momentum he could have gained from it.