NS2 for Mac?

ObamanismObamanism Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69442Banned
Since it seems the dev team is using their own engine or something, is it possible it will be available for mac people? If that happens, will it be possible to use Steam and play only NS2 on a Mac, or would the dev team have to release NS2 for Mac users, not on Steam, but like a separate purchase and distribution system? Starcraft and Warcraft III all run on Mac. Why shouldn't NS2?

Comments

• Soli Deo GloriaSoli Deo Gloria Join Date: 2009-06-25 Member: 67926Members
    Because MAC hardware isn't good for gaming anyways.
  • ObamanismObamanism Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69442Banned
    edited November 2009
    Are you saying a Mac with over 2.5 ghz of "Core 2 Duo" power and 4 gb of ram is not powerful enough for some newer games? I wonder if any of the NS2 dev team uses a Mac to create NS content. Do you think any of them do?
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1738746:date=Nov 22 2009, 12:55 PM:name=Soli Deo Gloria)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soli Deo Gloria @ Nov 22 2009, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because MAC hardware isn't good for gaming anyways.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As a Windows user, I guess I would have to agree.

It is kind of sad with the Mac Propoganda commercials, it seems like the argument of point fingers at everyone else, and take the attention off your lesser product; that they seem to be using.

I haven't seen a Windows XP/7 commercial bashing Mac yet... so yeah.

The Linux crowd can do w/e as well, they know more about OS's than the average consumer at a store.

<!--quoteo(post=1738748:date=Nov 22 2009, 12:58 PM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Nov 22 2009, 12:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you saying a Mac with over 2.5 ghz of "Core 2 Duo" power and 4 gb of ram is not powerful enough for some newer games? I wonder if any of the NS2 dev team uses a Mac to create NS content. Do you think any of them do?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You would have problems running Left 4 Dead 2 at a decent framerate, and Valve makes exceptionally low system requirements on their games.

Yeah, it is not powerful enough. Honestly, 30 FPS is not good, 60/70 constant is what you want. 100 is the best, and yes there is a noticable difference. Try playing TFC made by Valve at 10/15/20/30/50/60/70/100 FPS, you will notice a big difference. Actually one paticular class plays better at 50/30-33 FPS than other classes due to the way the hitscan weapon works. *COUGH* HWG *COUGH*
    So people who think Mac hardware is not as good as PC hardware, I ask you to look at this page: <a href="http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html</a>

So what were you saying about Mac hardware?
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1738751:date=Nov 22 2009, 01:04 PM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Nov 22 2009, 01:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738751"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So people who think Mac hardware is not as good as PC hardware, I ask you to look at this page: <a href="http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html</a>

So what were you saying about Mac hardware?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok how about this, regardless if a Mac computer is powerful enough to run NS2, the mainstream platform for most everything(including gaming) is windows. So by bandwagon default, it is being made on Windows.

The Mac NS2 is in the same boat as the 360 NS2, it will only be made if the Windows NS2 sells well.

It is basically considered to be in the "extra" department, especially for the Unknown Worlds company with their very first serious commercial game. (Zen of Sudoku is more like a side project to support the creation of NS2, if you want to get technical about it.)
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1738749:date=Nov 22 2009, 09:00 PM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Nov 22 2009, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You would have problems running Left 4 Dead 2 at a decent framerate, and Valve makes exceptionally low system requirements on their games.

Yeah, it is not powerful enough. Honestly, 30 FPS is not good, 60/70 constant is what you want. 100 is the best, and yes there is a noticable difference. Try playing TFC made by Valve at 10/15/20/30/50/60/70/100 FPS, you will notice a big difference. Actually one paticular class plays better at 50/30-33 FPS than other classes due to the way the hitscan weapon works. *COUGH* HWG *COUGH*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, as much as I hate Macs (Their adverts prey on the ignorant and the Ipod is a waste of money) depending on the grapics card a 2.5 core 2 duo and 4 gigs of ram will play L4D2 no problem.

My other computer has similar specs and plays it at 1680x1050, 8xCSAA 8xAF, every other option on Very high/high, it rarely dips to 50 FPS.

Of course you could play the game at medium or low and be getting FPS in the 100s.
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1738751:date=Nov 22 2009, 02:04 PM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Nov 22 2009, 02:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738751"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So people who think Mac hardware is not as good as PC hardware, I ask you to look at this page: <a href="http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html</a>

So what were you saying about Mac hardware?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

WOW. Seriously? First off, you can cherry pick the best product offering from most companies and you'll probably find a pretty damn good product. Second, you picked out a $2500 computer with a $150 graphics card and 3 gigs of ram. No monitor, a $1000 processor and the rest is basically garbage. Give me a break. If you're going to pick out the $2500 computer with only 512mb of video memory and only 3 gigs of ram (!!!) then you can obviously afford to buy a copy of Win7 and dual boot.... Are you trolling? You can't realistically game on any Mac less than an upgraded MacBookPro or iMac and for the price premium you'll be paying, you can build a near top-of-the-line PC for yourself anyways. I don't want to be crass but the Mac users are in the same boat as the Linux users at this point- emulate, dual boot or go without. Sorry.

Besides, a few years ago IIRC Macs used their own components when they built their computers, now they essentially use the same components as PCs, make it look pretty, slap OSX in it and sell it for 30-50% more.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    As far as I'm aware and previous statements from the development team the game is initially Windows. Although due to the own engine and cross-platform development the aim is to try and get the game out on to Mac and Linux, eventually.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    Macs don't have good hardware...huh? Ever since OS X, both macs and pcs were using the exact same parts.

It is an issue of operating system, with OS X userbase being way too small to be worth the investment of porting a game over. Hell, people are arguing that the PC userbase is shrinking too, which was the king of gaming for a long time.

Most people who port over to OS X do it because they have a fondness for platform that overrides their business sense. Bungie, ID and Blizzard are such developers.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1738751:date=Nov 22 2009, 09:04 PM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Nov 22 2009, 09:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738751"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So people who think Mac hardware is not as good as PC hardware, I ask you to look at this page: <a href="http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html</a>

Lol, that you pay a ridiculous price for it. You're paying for the brand.

I built my computer for about $1300/£800 and includes the following:

AMD 6000+ dual core 3ghz
    4gb of ram
    M2N-SLI deluxe mobo
    Zotac GTX 285 AMP
    2x Raid configured 750gb hard drives

As well as the case, DVDRW drive, Golden Orb II heatsink, 650w Thermaltake PSU, various 120mm case fan , keyboard, mouse, mouse mat, and 20" LCD monitor.

Sure not all components are top of the range, but it handles any game fine. Even Arma II (Lol).
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    UWE are working their ass off to release the game in the first place, I doubt if it has crossed their mind to make a MAC port in the forseeable future.

Oh and lol @ the mac vs pc discussion.

Everyone knows macs are only useful for internet browsing and making your desk look posh and tidy lol.
  • cerberus414cerberus414 Join Date: 2005-05-07 Member: 51098Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1738748:date=Nov 22 2009, 03:58 PM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Nov 22 2009, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you saying a Mac with over 2.5 ghz of "Core 2 Duo" power and 4 gb of ram is not powerful enough for some newer games? I wonder if any of the NS2 dev team uses a Mac to create NS content. Do you think any of them do?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem with the specs that you listed is the exclusion of the most important one, the graphics card, which now-a-days is the factor by which the frame rate of the game is bounded by (aside from games like Left 4 Dead that are actually more CPU bound). The default GPU that comes with a Mac Pro is a Nvidia 120 GT, which no offense, is complete ######. They do offer, an Ati 4870 for $200+ which is much better, but that means you're now paying about $2600 for a computer. If you're a Mac fan, why not just buy a separate $1000 PC for gaming which will probably still have better specs than this $2600 "stock" Mac Pro, and do every thing else on your Mac computer.
    <!--quoteo(post=1738777:date=Nov 22 2009, 10:35 PM:name=VonDoom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VonDoom @ Nov 22 2009, 10:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everyone knows macs are only useful for internet browsing and making your desk look posh and tidy lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree.

<a href="http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/</a>
  • KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair 日本福岡県 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos
    Since this topic has come up before, and most of these posts seem to be following more of a religious debate than anything else, I think it's safe to close this.
This discussion has been closed.