So ... whats goin on with ns2?

AlmeuitAlmeuit Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69327Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Read b 4 u judge :)</div>I pre-order'd this game the second i heard you could. I got the special edition and everything. Saved my email with my cd-key and have been waiting.

I've done the whole follow a game every step but i don't really enjoy doing that because it makes the game seem like its taking forever .... but its been a good while since pre-orders....

So i am basically here to make this thread to ask you guys (the "Community") that has been keeping tabs on everything they are doing ..... What is going on? Should i keep my pre-order? Or will this game be another duke-nukem forever? I haven't really seen much exciting news and and it worries me that we will never see this game come to light ..

But try not to flame. I am no way flaming the game ... i really would love to play it ... just curious as to whats going on since its been awhile.

Any feed back is appreciated :).

Comments

• JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Check the front page, first ingame screens came out last week ;)
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1736914:date=Nov 10 2009, 12:08 AM:name=Almeuit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Almeuit @ Nov 10 2009, 12:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736914"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is going on? Should i keep my pre-order? Or will this game be another duke-nukem forever?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Basically the game has been delayed from its "2009" release date. No updated release date was announced but we can hope to see it by late 2010*. Apparently the majority of the game development has been going on in the past year, since UWE got financial backing from private investors and your pre-orders.
    Why don't you read this <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/10/ns_7th_anniversary_progress_and_first_ns2_screenshots" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009...ns2_screenshots</a>

*edit - early 2010
  • EddieEddie Join Date: 2004-10-22 Member: 32412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1736922:date=Nov 9 2009, 07:25 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 9 2009, 07:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Basically the game has been delayed from its "2009" release date. No updated release date was announced but we can hope to see it by late 2010. Apparently the majority of the game development has been going on in the past year, since UWE got financial backing from private investors and your pre-orders.
    Why don't you read this <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/10/ns_7th_anniversary_progress_and_first_ns2_screenshots" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009...ns2_screenshots</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm curious as to why you think we should only expect it by late 2010, as opposed to what was revealed in recent interviews (Q1 2010). I'm not giving you a hard time or anything, It's very possible that you're right, I just want to hear your reasoning behind it.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1736929:date=Nov 10 2009, 12:55 AM:name=Eddie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eddie @ Nov 10 2009, 12:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736929"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm curious as to why you think we should only expect it by late 2010, as opposed to what was revealed in recent interviews (Q1 2010). I'm not giving you a hard time or anything, It's very possible that you're right, I just want to hear your reasoning behind it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed that the common theme I've seen is 'We hoped to release by Fall 09 but now realistically it will be early 2010'.
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1736929:date=Nov 10 2009, 12:55 AM:name=Eddie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eddie @ Nov 10 2009, 12:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736929"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what was revealed in recent interviews (Q1 2010).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which interview said Q1 2010? I didn't see it - please provide a citation.
    I like reading these interviews and I must have missed one. All the ones I read did not specify any date.

My reasoning is that one interview I read said there would be no alpha in 2009, therefore I'm expecting an alpha in early 2010, and then obviously several more months for them to finish the game which would bring us to late 2010.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736934:date=Nov 9 2009, 05:29 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 9 2009, 05:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736934"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which interview said Q1 2010? I didn't see it - please provide a citation.
    I like reading these interviews and I must have missed one. All the ones I read did not specify any date.

My reasoning is that one interview I read said there would be no alpha in 2009, therefore I'm expecting an alpha in early 2010, and then obviously several more months for them to finish the game which would bring us to late 2010.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would be nice if they release before the new AvP games. Unless they flop like REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD, there goes the futuristic alien shooter market for at least 1 to 2 years.
  • EnragedPlatypusEnragedPlatypus Join Date: 2009-05-30 Member: 67567Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736934:date=Nov 9 2009, 08:29 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 9 2009, 08:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736934"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which interview said Q1 2010? I didn't see it - please provide a citation.

My reasoning is that one interview I read said there would be no alpha in 2009, therefore I'm expecting an alpha in early 2010, and then obviously several more months for them to finish the game which would bring us to late 2010.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Charlie Cleveland: We were very hopeful but alas. We're not shipping it this fall. We're looking at early next year. Sorry about that!"

<a href="http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1217&page=3" target="_blank">/source</a>
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736918:date=Nov 10 2009, 12:21 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Nov 10 2009, 12:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736918"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Check the front page, first ingame screens came out last week ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Along with all the posted interivews. Sounds like progress if you ask me. Just look around a little >.>
  • RikkAndrsnRikkAndrsn Join Date: 2009-06-07 Member: 67741Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736938:date=Nov 9 2009, 08:48 PM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Nov 9 2009, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would be nice if they release before the new AvP games. Unless they flop like REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD, there goes the futuristic alien shooter market for at least 1 to 2 years.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I'm going to be playing the new AvP and was kind of banking on NS2 coming out before. Rebellion looks like it's putting more of a cinematic twist on the game for atmosphere this time, though. There are tons of special move kills and such that occur when a player gets a decidedly one hit kill, which could be an interesting mechanic that makes a game or a mechanic that makes fans hate it (like the stun in Team Fortress 2).
    I don't think AvP is the same niche as NS2. Obviously AvP will have online multiplayer, but it's not as multiplayer-centric or strategy oriented. Seems more like straight deathmatch to me (admittedly I never played the previous games online).

I would LOVE to see an Aliens mod for NS2. Holy ###### that would be epic. Aliens even have dynamic infestation, if you recall from the movies.
    <!--quoteo(post=1736957:date=Nov 10 2009, 04:13 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 10 2009, 04:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think AvP is the same niche as NS2. Obviously AvP will have online multiplayer, but it's not as multiplayer-centric or strategy oriented. Seems more like straight deathmatch to me (admittedly I never played the previous games online).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm with you here. AVP2 was an awesome multiplayer game, but was basically one long stringed out team-deathmatch usually, which made it cooler than just regular deathmatch games, but doesn't put it anywhere near the same catagory as NS. The one thing to be worried about is people seeing two games with marines shooting at aliens, and choose the "name brand" game if it comes out first, while ignoring NS D:
  • Alex1010Alex1010 Join Date: 2007-03-20 Member: 60421Members
    lol How early is wats really ticking us all hmmm
  • craecrae Join Date: 2005-01-30 Member: 39035Members
    >just curious as to whats going on since its been awhile.

Everything seems to be going nicely. Keep tight hold of your pre-order, and expect many more details to emerge over the next 2-3 months. Here are my favorites for the last few months:

Charlie Cleveland: The biggest difference is the resource model - marines have their own resources which they use to buy their own weapons and equipment. The Commander still unlocks technology, but players choose exactly how they want to play from those options. There was a bit too much reliance on the Commander in NS1 and it was too stressful. The game will be more fun for more people as well.

Shack: And Commanders will gain a little independence from their players.

Charlie Cleveland: Yes, both commanders have AI builder units they can control to build structures and perform special abilities (dropping mines, glowing brightly to blind players, detonate, etc). Again this was to reduce some of the harsh reliance on the Commander and also make it more satisfying as Commanders can be effective even when the team is inept or confused.

I'm also glad to see that marine weapons spawn with their max ammo, now how to convince the developers to keep skulk upgrades when you die. Repeatedly. Like over and over and over and..
    <!--quoteo(post=1736966:date=Nov 10 2009, 05:09 AM:name=crae)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crae @ Nov 10 2009, 05:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736966"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->now how to convince the developers to keep skulk upgrades when you die. Repeatedly. Like over and over and over and..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmmm...don't know about that one, personally
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    NS2 is definately not a Duke Nukem forever. If you've been following the news, you can see that the team has been working on material constantly. Very much unlike Duke Nukem Forever, which has 0 progress at all. If you're worried about the company going bust before the release, well, there is that risk although I highly doubt it. With the pre-orders and angel investors, plus how little resources UWE is using (5 or 6 man team), the money would seem to go a long way. And since they've apparently, note I say apparently, gotten the basics down, it shouldn't be too hard to build a full, polished game from here on out.

I am expecting an alpha release in early 2010. Seems like a very reasonable time and a few months after that, the beta. And a few months after that, release. Which would put release date in either Q3 or Q4 2010. But I would be severely disappointed if it went into 2011, since my impression is that UWE has most of the groundwork already covered.
    <!--quoteo(post=1736978:date=Nov 10 2009, 03:45 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Nov 10 2009, 03:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am expecting an alpha release in early 2010. Seems like a very reasonable time and a few months after that, the beta. And a few months after that, release. Which would put release date in either Q3 or Q4 2010. But I would be severely disappointed if it went into 2011, since my impression is that UWE has most of the groundwork already covered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Your predictions seem fairly optimistic. Going on with the same date I would expect just the tools to be out in "early" 2010 with the alpha maybe seeing release late spring. A beta would be placed sometime in the summer, going from a closed beta to an open perhaps. These days it's very hard to tell the difference between "open beta" on most games from a demo. Release I would peg at early fall, because of UWE's previous commitment to using seasons rather than a fiscal calendar. That leaves time for UWE to develop its first content and bugfix patches to release on NS1's birthday.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1737034:date=Nov 10 2009, 01:41 PM:name=RikkAndrsn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RikkAndrsn @ Nov 10 2009, 01:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your predictions seem fairly optimistic. Going on with the same date I would expect just the tools to be out in "early" 2010 with the alpha maybe seeing release late spring. A beta would be placed sometime in the summer, going from a closed beta to an open perhaps. These days it's very hard to tell the difference between "open beta" on most games from a demo. Release I would peg at early fall, because of UWE's previous commitment to using seasons rather than a fiscal calendar. That leaves time for UWE to develop its first content and bugfix patches to release on NS1's birthday.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was under the impression the tools would be released sooner than that:

"Now, Unknown Worlds hopes one of the biggest incentives to spurring preorders is early access <b>starting next month</b> to its ambitious proprietary toolset, which includes all of the studio's own assets necessary to make custom levels and post-processed cinematics."

Source : <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25036" target="_blank">http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25036</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1737037:date=Nov 10 2009, 12:58 PM:name=Corporal_Fortier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corporal_Fortier @ Nov 10 2009, 12:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737037"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was under the impression the tools would be released sooner than that:

"Now, Unknown Worlds hopes one of the biggest incentives to spurring preorders is early access <b>starting next month</b> to its ambitious proprietary toolset, which includes all of the studio's own assets necessary to make custom levels and post-processed cinematics."

Source : <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25036" target="_blank">http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25036</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And the last time UWE was able to meet a NS2 release projection was?
  • OptikalOptikal Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13583Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1736934:date=Nov 9 2009, 08:29 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 9 2009, 08:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736934"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which interview said Q1 2010? I didn't see it - please provide a citation.

What is it with you and citations? You are far worse then high school English teachers.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1737037:date=Nov 10 2009, 05:58 PM:name=Corporal_Fortier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corporal_Fortier @ Nov 10 2009, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737037"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was under the impression the tools would be released sooner than that:

Source : <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25036" target="_blank">http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25036</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I imagine part of the delay with that is they're HOPEFULLY writing up good documentation, not only on how to use the damn thing, but all the good-to-know stuff like 'marines can only jump this high', 'sulks are only this tall', etc.

Unfortunately a lot (read: all) of that will probably change by release.
  • EddieEddie Join Date: 2004-10-22 Member: 32412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1737060:date=Nov 10 2009, 02:29 PM:name=RikkAndrsn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RikkAndrsn @ Nov 10 2009, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And the last time UWE was able to meet a NS2 release projection was?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's irrelevant. We were given information and we're only expected to act upon it.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1737060:date=Nov 10 2009, 01:29 PM:name=RikkAndrsn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RikkAndrsn @ Nov 10 2009, 01:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And the last time UWE was able to meet a NS2 release projection was?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Look at weather forecasts...they're wrong all the time, but they tend to be much more accurate when it comes to short range predictions. "Next month" should be a much more accurate prediction than "fall '09".

Besides, they were wrong with ONE prediction. That's not enough of a track record to make sweeping generalizations.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited November 2009
    I'll just make this statement.

It would be stupid to release NS2 at exactly the same time when the new AvP/ColMs games release. You would have to wait 1-3 months so hype and buzz dies down. Trust me, those games will be hyped like crazy, just like Modern Warfare 2.
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I am gonna pre-order the game next year and hopefully get to play the alpha before 2011 ^_^
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    The tools are supposed to be released this month. In the email talking about the ns2 screenshots thay state:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We're also getting ready to release our "Spark" level editor. It will everything you need to start making NS2 levels and also to get a closer look at the dynamic lighting, art and tech in the game. In November we will be sending e-mail with download instructions to everyone that has pre-ordered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now considering this info was released the same time as the announcement of the delay of NS2 it's fairly safe to assume UWE are being realistic about this. Now they only say November, which we still have 18 days of.
  • Ice_Ice_ Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67700Members
    Alpha release should be 2010 (EARLIEST), I guess we guys have to wait ;).

And Charlie, I'm still waiting for a thanks in the patch notes about a specific console command in Natural Selection (2003-01-14 ;)).
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Mhh.. a thanks in the patch notes ? I dont think there will be some 3.3 or 4.0 anymore so ;(