Possible Phase Suit?

JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
edited November 2009 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">(Borrowing idea from another thread.)</div><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=107825" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=107825</a>

- Basically the suit would be restricted to POWERED parts of the Marine Power Grid.

- Make it so you can only phase to that section of that grid if a functional Resource Tower or Command Center is built.

- Phase location is chosen at random for you, within that grid section.

- Limit/cooldown of phasing every 10/15 seconds.

- High research cost like the Heavy EXO.

- No more portection than a standard vanilla spawned Marine.

- Gorge spit would cause the suit to malfunction, and you can only phase until the Gorge spit wears off.

* Obviously this would only be made for a NS2 Expansion Pack.

See this thread: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=107840" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=107840</a>

Comments

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    *cough*

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=103337" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=103337</a>

:)
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1736798:date=Nov 8 2009, 06:30 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Nov 8 2009, 06:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*cough*

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=103337" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=103337</a>

:)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only problem with that one, is the Marine Commander has control. That doesn't make sense at all. It would only make sense if this was a RTS game, like Red Alert 2.

My version of the armor is only useful defensively and not offensively, which is how it should be balanced. Can't have Marines teleporting into a live Hive Room.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    edited November 2009
    lol phase suit...

but maybe you could research an expensive upgrade for the heavy/exos, giving it a defensive redemption like ability to phase home, as long the home phase gate still exists... with the friendly computer voice telling you that your armor is down to 10% and that the emergency evacuation phase mechanism will be activated in 5 ....4 .....3 ..... aaarrgh..skulk to the face!

i think that would be even a lil bit balanced.. because of the long warm up, gives the alien still chance to take those exos out of the game

OH! another thing...maybe phase the marine out of the heavy armor, back to base, because phase technology can not phase itself, the phase gate is a rather big contraption, possibly requiring more power to mass transport marines and exos..weapons, a small portable phasing device would just have enough power to transport one single marine, and would require some charging time, withdrawing all power from the exos systems, it would leave the HA behind to get nommed by aliens, or recovered and welded by marines. and no..the marine would not appear naked on the base PG <_< but at least he wont end up in the respawn que and instantly back in the action.

i say no to offensive phase suit tech in form of transportation..wth is the phasegate good for then? phase suits would just remove this neat "protect/hold phasegate bridgehead" objective from the game
    The Phasegate was cut from the game, in favor of Squad Spawning... the last I heard of.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736893:date=Nov 9 2009, 10:48 PM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Nov 9 2009, 10:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Phasegate was cut from the game, in favor of Squad Spawning... the last I heard of.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What like in BF2142? That sounds annoying as ######.

"HAY GAIZ IM IN TEH HYVE JOIN SQUAD PLZ"

*WOOSH WOOSH WOOSH*

THE HIVE IS UNDER ATTACK!
    <!--quoteo(post=1736920:date=Nov 9 2009, 04:24 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 9 2009, 04:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736920"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What like in BF2142? That sounds annoying as ######.

"HAY GAIZ IM IN TEH HYVE JOIN SQUAD PLZ"

*WOOSH WOOSH WOOSH*

THE HIVE IS UNDER ATTACK!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also I think it will be balanced so you can not spawn if your Squad Leader is in/on/around/surrounded by Dynamic Infestation.

So don't worry.

We still don't know how Squads are formed. It might take 2/3 or more players before you can form a Squad, so no ninja phase BS stuff.

I guess the exception would be if you were to have a team of 3-6 Marines all using Flamethrowers through Dynamic Infestation to make a "lined holed path" to the Hive Room. If you can pull that off against an Alien team that is not all AFK, then they deserve to be ass raped anyways.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    Still sounds abusable. Maybe start getting eaten by a skulk so the proper response is to jump around like a retard trying to survive until a buddy warps in next to you.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736893:date=Nov 10 2009, 07:48 AM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Nov 10 2009, 07:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Phasegate was cut from the game, in favor of Squad Spawning... the last I heard of.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats ghay... srsly
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1736968:date=Nov 9 2009, 09:31 PM:name=sheena_yanai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sheena_yanai @ Nov 9 2009, 09:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736968"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thats ghay... srsly<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You still have to respawn at an Infantry Portal, and there is a button on the back of it to respawn at your squad.

So there is a small delay. Also it will probably be a research upgrade that the Marine Commander has to buy for each IP, or a Universal Tech Upgrade at a hefty cost. Probably like 20/25/30 resources for a Universal Tech Upgrade, and 5/10 RES for the individual variant.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736846:date=Nov 10 2009, 01:57 AM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Nov 10 2009, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only problem with that one, is the Marine Commander has control. That doesn't make sense at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

its not so much a problem as it is a gameplay feature actually - this promotes the commander and infrantry dynamic, it would be an incredibly powerful tool for players that use great communication, planning and tactics
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1737133:date=Nov 10 2009, 06:13 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Nov 10 2009, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737133"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its not so much a problem as it is a gameplay feature actually - this promotes the commander and infrantry dynamic, it would be an incredibly powerful tool for players that use great communication, planning and tactics<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It leaves open to too much griefing potential though, if the previous Commander loses control or something.

Or if there is more than 1 Commander.

I think the Player should always be in control of himself/herself.

The only exception would be is the Distress Bacon back to Primary Command Center.
  • innocivinnociv Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69280Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1736846:date=Nov 9 2009, 09:57 AM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Nov 9 2009, 09:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only problem with that one, is the Marine Commander has control. That doesn't make sense at all. It would only make sense if this was a RTS game, like Red Alert 2.

My version of the armor is only useful defensively and not offensively, which is how it should be balanced. Can't have Marines teleporting into a live Hive Room.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like I replied to the thread, I would like it if the commander sets a phase point, and players can press their phase pack button to phase there. They could have auto-consent as an option.
    This gets rid of the "potential griefing"
    But really, if a commander is griefing, you vote him out! You want a commander you can trust to phase you right to help you win, duh. Just like you want a commander to build the right things.

I like the idea of commander phasing, since he can see things players can't. He has the best eyes.