Ranking system

maddog@ansonmaddog@anson Join Date: 2008-03-17 Member: 63884Members
The ranking system i am talking about is something like in the cod or battlefield.
But it does not come with the special features when you are at a higher grade.
The purpose of it is to identify the NS2 experience of the player by that team, and may be have a greater weight when ejecting commander.
It can be increased by playing in the game, just like the scoring system in the NS1, which will be accumulated.
And may be not just lv 1, lv2 and some how, when in marine team, it can be "private" or "sergeant" and in alien team it can be "scout" or "defender".
And may be there is a additional icon when the player is good at particular weapon such as " fly man" when good at jetpack , "bomber" when good at jp + gl, "tank" when good at heavy + hmg , so the commander can distribute the equipment more effectively. (most based on ns1, so please anyone gives more suggestions)
also it can be blended with achievement system, or may be using particular icon can have a bonus damage when using that kind of weapon.

Comments

• UnknownUnknown Join Date: 1970-01-01 Member:
    I'm always a fan of statistics and profile tracking regarding games. I for my part would really like to see this coming.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2009
    I don't mind stats or profile stuff as long as it is completely invisible to other players (ala TF2).

Personally I couldn't give two ###### about stats as I think, like achievements, it's really <i>bizarre</i> that people obsess over meaningless numbers, but if I can completely pretend it doesn't exist, so much the better. Once you start tying stats to anything in-game be it icons or otherwise, people start turning into retards about the whole thing. Look at Dystopia. "LOL IM GRANK 83 AND UR NOT GTFO NOOB".

Yeah, I can't wait for commanders to start refusing to give aid and gear to players because "TEH STATZ RNT GUD ENUFF".
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    oh gawds the ranking system thread is back. =[

-Hidden stats from other players (except maybe general idea of skill)
    -Server-side collection for balance/map design is good
    -Not based on K:D
  • maddog@ansonmaddog@anson Join Date: 2008-03-17 Member: 63884Members
    may be adding a option to let the player to choose if he wants to show the stats would solve some of the problems
    <!--quoteo(post=1736084:date=Nov 4 2009, 03:21 PM:name=maddog@anson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog@anson @ Nov 4 2009, 03:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736084"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->may be adding a option to let the player to choose if he wants to show the stats would solve some of the problems<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Since when is the point of stats to brag to other players? Or have they always been?
  • blitz_krieg001blitz_krieg001 Join Date: 2009-11-03 Member: 69237Members
    They have always been. Why do you think leaderboards, achievements etc. are almost mandatory in console games now.
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1736240:date=Nov 5 2009, 12:51 AM:name=blitz_krieg001)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blitz_krieg001 @ Nov 5 2009, 12:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They have always been. Why do you think leaderboards, achievements etc. are almost mandatory in console games now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because only console gamers are stupid and shallow enough to find satisfaction chasing worthless, arbitrary numbers and getting pointless, dip###### "YAY FOR YUO" awards?
  • brcaswellbrcaswell Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69181Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736304:date=Nov 5 2009, 02:37 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 5 2009, 02:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736304"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because only console gamers are stupid and shallow enough to find satisfaction chasing worthless, arbitrary numbers and getting pointless, dip###### "YAY FOR YUO" awards?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As interesting as Stats are, they were an introduction into NS1, and don't represent any 'official' support. Developing a ranking system on stats would require an official support of a stats system.

I agree that in the present form of stats, they don't promote gameplay properly. Infact, they adversely affect proper gameplay, in that players seek individual achievements over team achievements. For example, res whoring on kharra and rouge Marines on Frontiers (a lot of early weapons are lost due to marine's solo efforts).

Obviously K:D is a major consideration to skill, both as an individual and as an asset to a team. However, if a marine has a 10:1 (K:D), with 1000 kills, and has 0 wins and 100 loses, in respect to the team he's on, it's safe to presume he's not participating in critical events, such as hive seizures or defenses. He's probably not building structures or killing enemy resources either. He's an ineffective killing opportunist, and perhaps rage quits when 2nd hive fades appear. It's that stat whoring mentality that inflicts heavily on proper gameplay.

Lets take EvolveNS server as an example. 9 out of 10 times, the game ends in rage quits of the perceived losing team. There's not much epic games going on in that server, despite the 'Pro Player' theme. It has its moments of intensity, to be sure. But if the end justifies the means, than 9 out of 10 games on that server are pathetic, because they end pathetically. It's ironic, because you go to that server to be challenged; However, in the face of losing, which is a greater challenge, players rage. Why the contradiction, where do you think they learned that behavior from? It's from maintaining their stats, and disallowing the opportunity of the other team to stat ######.

Now, I'm not sure if EvolveNS even has stats and stat ranking, but thats irregardless to my point to the behavior contradiction stemming from the stat whoring, maintaining complex that these experienced players have.

what say you?
  • brcaswellbrcaswell Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69181Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735528:date=Nov 2 2009, 08:55 AM:name=maddog@anson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog@anson @ Nov 2 2009, 08:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The ranking system i am talking about is something like in the cod or battlefield.
    But it does not come with the special features when you are at a higher grade.
    The purpose of it is to identify the NS2 experience of the player by that team, and may be have a greater weight when ejecting commander.
    It can be increased by playing in the game, just like the scoring system in the NS1, which will be accumulated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If a ranking system were adopted, it should be implemented by servers, individually. There's no inherited capability qualifier through ranking, so a cross server, officially supported ranking system that has any sort of impact in gameplay would be ridiculously impractical.

<!--quoteo(post=1735528:date=Nov 2 2009, 08:55 AM:name=maddog@anson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog@anson @ Nov 2 2009, 08:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And may be not just lv 1, lv2 and some how, when in marine team, it can be "private" or "sergeant" and in alien team it can be "scout" or "defender".
    And may be there is a additional icon when the player is good at particular weapon such as " fly man" when good at jetpack , "bomber" when good at jp + gl, "tank" when good at heavy + hmg , so the commander can distribute the equipment more effectively. (most based on ns1, so please anyone gives more suggestions)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am in support of a system that displays the tendency and proficiency of a player, in respect to roles and reliability.

For Example:

General Tendancy Roles - base builder; pressure marine;
    Proficiency Categories:
    Overall - Excellent
    LMG - Excellent
    SG - Moderate
    HMG - Unknown ( Doesn't exceed minimal time usage, minimal # of times picked up, minimum 1 kill, and minimum 1 death factors )
    GL - Poor (Factors include K:D, Comm Orders, "Weapon Wielding Time ( Survival Time ) / # of times picked up" (max +1 per life), reloads Per Kill, Teammates killed, suicides, structures killed (including hives); COMPARES these factors to arbitrary values, respectfully)

However, this can get quite convoluted. This is more or less a system that summarizes the nature of a player, and doesn't run general comparisons between players. Thus, it's not a ranking system.

<!--quoteo(post=1735528:date=Nov 2 2009, 08:55 AM:name=maddog@anson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog@anson @ Nov 2 2009, 08:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->also it can be blended with achievement system, or may be using particular icon can have a bonus damage when using that kind of weapon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This RPG element would ruin the game for new players as much as it would intrigue them to gain the achievement. As balance is one of the main objectives in this game, this particular feature suggestion, if adopted, would add an unpredictable and unbalancing factor to the game (RPG features is, by design, unbalancing gameplay).