seft destruct botton

dirtymojo817dirtymojo817 Join Date: 2009-07-22 Member: 68233Members
<div class="IPBDescription">yea, im going there</div>So you're the last marine left, the DI has taken over everything, the ips are down and you are on the run...there's no hope. or is there? This might be a bad idea but there has been a few times where I've been hunted down at the end of the game and just wished i had a last chance to blow up the ship/building I've been defending because there is no other way to go out. from a realistic stand point why wouldn't they have one if people have been having problems with infestations? I'm not saying have it available the whole game, but maybe after a certain time limit, the DI reaches a certain point, or both the self destruct botton becomes active and a marine has to spend time turning it on like building a structure.

Comments

• zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    I'm in favor of anything that reminds me of Alien, so yes. That would be awesome.

It would be like a new end-game objective for the Frontiersmen - the aliens would still get the "win" if self-destruct suceeded, but Frontiersmen would get the moral victory of annihilating their enemy.

I have a feeling this is an ideal mod idea - somebody could do a "Nostromo" scenario.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    This would take away the win feeling from the aliens so I would say "no". If you win, you should feel like you win, instead of having the loser choose some cheap cop out.

But I'm not stopping anyone from making a mod on this.
  • dirtymojo817dirtymojo817 Join Date: 2009-07-22 Member: 68233Members
    it wouldn't really take the win away from the aliens because they still have a chance at stopping the last marine plus the aliens would pretty much have the victory anyway but if the marine hits the button its a draw . the point of it is more or less to give those last surviving marines some hope instead of letting them wander the map waiting to be eaten.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    Morale victories can be fun. I think they should be spontaneous rather than built in though.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    It could be like Predator have. Ns1 has console kill. So ns2 should have something like a small bomb and u could try to take some aliens with u when u explode.
  • blitz_krieg001blitz_krieg001 Join Date: 2009-11-03 Member: 69237Members
    Marines can take cyanide pills and if a skulk/lerk/onos eats them they die of cyanide poisioning (well maybe onos just gets really sick and all it's hair falls out).
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    sounds ok so long as the aliens have something similar
    I was thinking along the lines of the process Ripley had to go through in Alien to blow up the ship
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was thinking more like self destruct for structures.

Like you have to upgrade them to be able to self destruct. Depending on the structure, the amount of res to upgrade it would vary.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I'd implement this in a map... but when the countdown reaches three, infestation starts growing out of the console and the countdown stops...
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736271:date=Nov 5 2009, 03:14 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 5 2009, 03:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736271"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd implement this in a map... but when the countdown reaches three, infestation starts growing out of the console and the countdown stops...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd make it so the round reverts to a new-game status and resets completely, including the map timer.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736265:date=Nov 5 2009, 02:39 AM:name=dirtymojo817)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dirtymojo817 @ Nov 5 2009, 02:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736265"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was thinking along the lines of the process Ripley had to go through in Alien to blow up the ship<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, totally ###### sweet. I was trying to find a video of it on youtube, but failed. It's got to be a SLOW and convoluted process involving lots of sluggishly moving mechanical tubes and levers.
  • brcaswellbrcaswell Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69181Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736305:date=Nov 5 2009, 02:40 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 5 2009, 02:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736305"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd make it so the round reverts to a new-game status and resets completely, including the map timer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

haha.. Temphage, you're talking about a trigger in the map that controls server settings. Whats next, an 'experimental' flashlight that kicks players from the server?.. haha
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    This could be a fun game mode after the marines have lost the round

say all of the marine IPs and CCs are gone

a random spot on the map then becomes the self-destruct button, all of the remaining marines must try and reach the self destruct button
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    Heh, I can imagine it now.

People randomly joining servers, setting off the self destruct and promptly leaving much to the rage of everyone else.

You'd have to make it very anti griefable.
  • borsukborsuk Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67717Members
    edited November 2009
    So make self-destruct only available if all infantry portals and command console are destroyed.

This could be interesting. If Frontiersmen make it to the console, they can blow up the ship and <b>the game ends in a draw</b>, instead of alien win. But I think it should pretty hard to pull off, so only good marine team can do it. The self-destruct console should be far away from all valuable locations, so that in each case marines have to fight their way through.
    yea after the ip and cc go down maybe a red waypoint could pop up on the hud telling the marines where to go on the map to get to it, and once its activated it would start an audible countdown from a certain number and have flashing warning lights turn on
  • borsukborsuk Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67717Members
    To keep in line with Alien, there could also be some escape pods, so after the base fails marines would have:

- to activate self-destruction procedure
    - navigate their way to the escape pods

If self-destruct is activated, the match would end in a draw instead of alien win. Additionally, human players would get more personal score for each human who makes it to an escape pod. Likewise, aliens would get score for killing humans "for good" (that is, killing a human with no IP portals left).
    i had the escape pods in mind also, but i figured it would be too much additional work to add escape pods to every map
  • blitz_krieg001blitz_krieg001 Join Date: 2009-11-03 Member: 69237Members
    I think if you want it to actually affect the outcome of the game (changing an alien win to a draw), you need to give the aliens an equivalent way to force a draw after their last hive is destroyed. I think, regardless, this is probably a feature you would want to disable for competition play, depending how hard it is to pull off it might make draws to common.