New interview with Charlie

Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
<a href="http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1217" target="_blank">http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1217</a>

worth a read as always

Comments

• locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought [art director Cory Strader] was going to have a panic attack when we first showed the Onos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Noooooo! We love you Cory! I wouldn't want anyone else as an art director for NS2!

Edit: That was a really good interview. You could tell the interviewer was a big fan and pretty knowledgeable about NS1 and the current development of NS2.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The first piece of this is the level editor, which we are currently testing and polishing up. Our level editor is more inspired by SketchUp than Hammer or UnrealEd and lets you work truly quickly. You can create geometry, extrude it with a few clicks, texture it and put in your lights and see how it all looks for real, right in the editor. If you have NS2 running on your other monitor, you can load up your map in-game and every time you hit "save" in the editor, it hot-loads instantly in NS2.

All our tools operate this way, from building textures, 3D models and even our code. NS2 is 95% Lua script which means you can add weapons or features to the game... even while it's running.

We'll be shipping all the NS2 Lua code with the game which will provide a great launching point for mods.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh my.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    Interesting, the commander will have "builder units" that can "brighten up to blind players" and blow themselves up. Is this the first time this has been discussed?
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735836:date=Nov 3 2009, 03:31 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 3 2009, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Interesting, the commander will have "builder units" that can "brighten up to blind players" and blow themselves up. Is this the first time this has been discussed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Glowies can flashbang, weldbot can build?
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735836:date=Nov 3 2009, 10:31 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 3 2009, 10:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Interesting, the commander will have "builder units" that can "brighten up to blind players" and blow themselves up. Is this the first time this has been discussed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It was in the twitter a while ago. Wasn't discussed much other than "I don't like blinding effects" or "sounds cool".
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735835:date=Nov 3 2009, 05:30 PM:name=Fortune)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 3 2009, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh my.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was gonnah quote that as well :D

Also the BUS returns!
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    This was my favorite interview so far. Much love <3
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Very nice interview! Heart warming!
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    So BUS is back ? anyone knows a bit more then just the name ? :D

Ps. Why did ns1 not receive lua ? :O
    <!--quoteo(post=1735844:date=Nov 3 2009, 11:02 AM:name=Seker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seker @ Nov 3 2009, 11:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735844"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So BUS is back ? anyone knows a bit more then just the name ? :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its real name is Nexus. IIRC Cagey was working on it before he went to another project. It has something to do with stats, but is not strictly a stat tracking system.

I wonder if it is like the heat maps Valve released. <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87085&view=findpost&p=1365777" target="_blank">This</a> is the last I remember hearing of it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1735844:date=Nov 3 2009, 11:02 AM:name=Seker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seker @ Nov 3 2009, 11:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735844"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ps. Why did ns1 not receive lua ? :O<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What do you mean?
    edited November 2009
    Maybe bus is some sort of "death tracking" like valve uses in TF2 to show on maps where the most player die.
  • StinkyStinky Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63182Members
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    Good inteview. Chock full of tidbits.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Charlie Cleveland)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charlie Cleveland)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->StarCraft is the best game of all time in my book, tied only with Chess and Magic: The Gathering.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3njjD41f48" target="_blank">I think they're talking about you!</a>
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2009
    Two things that caught my eye were the "15-20 minute games" and some secret thing they've been hiding.

I feel like 15-20 minute games seem to short...it might just be me though. 30 minutes sounds good to me.

And as for this secret thing, what are they talking about?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shack: Lastly, can the world finally know the secret of the 'Big Unannounced System' you often cryptically teased for Natural Selection yet never revealed?

Charlie Cleveland: I used to be a magician so I know that the audience always want to know the secret! Once they find out though, they realize they wish they never found out. It's morphed a bit but we're still planning this...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    The question is once its unveiled will we still call it the BUS? D:

15-20 min games sounds about right. I love Epic games as much as the next guy, but part of what makes them so awesome is their relative infrequency. Iv played a few 2 hour rounds on NS 3.x and I can tell you that their rarity makes them all the more memorable. So I see no problem with shooting for a moderate game time.
    <!--quoteo(post=1735950:date=Nov 3 2009, 05:03 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Nov 3 2009, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735950"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The question is once its unveiled will we still call it the BUS? D:

15-20 min games sounds about right. I love Epic games as much as the next guy, but part of what makes them so awesome is their relative infrequency. Iv played a few 2 hour rounds on NS 3.x and I can tell you that their rarity makes them all the more memorable. So I see no problem with shooting for a moderate game time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    One comment on the interview over at shack was that shorter games don't allow for as much depth and back and forth. I think that's a fair criticism of the 15-20 min, however I personally think the 15-20min will probably be action packed enough.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
  • CattablissCattabliss Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66803Members
    Interview by Alice O'Connor Nov 03, 2009 7:30am CST

Sounds sexy ^^
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Charlie Cleveland: Yes, both commanders have AI builder units they can control to build structures and perform special abilities (dropping mines, glowing brightly to blind players, detonate, etc)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hell yes. This is the kind of micro and abilities that will add depth to the commander's role without completely unbalancing the game. Adding units that the commander controls is the only way to convince that player they're actually playing an RTS. I love it.

I also like the intended game length.

Overall a great interview.
    Mhh what freaks me now... is that .. when ns2 is released there is only 1 year support for it :(
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735980:date=Nov 3 2009, 07:47 PM:name=Seker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seker @ Nov 3 2009, 07:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mhh what freaks me now... is that .. when ns2 is released there is only 1 year support for it :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"At least a year" doesn't mean "after a year we're saying goodbye to NS2."

Look at how long NS1 was supported. You can tell UWE clearly takes pride in their work and I'm willing to bet they'll spend however many years they feel is necessary to complete NS2's experience.

One thing I've been curious about though, and this interview has only made me more curious, is the fact that the level editor Spark seems too good to be true. I mean, if Spark is as easy and quick as they say then why doesn't every developer use something similar to Spark? Hot loading maps, seeing lighting changes in real time, no compiling? That's a good deal.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1735980:date=Nov 4 2009, 02:47 AM:name=Seker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seker @ Nov 4 2009, 02:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mhh what freaks me now... is that .. when ns2 is released there is only 1 year support for it :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why, with all the mod support the game is going to have. I bet it is quite easy to get "unofficial" patches out if something needs to be fixed... With all the talk about being able to create new game types, new weapons (probably new aliens/marines) the customization/mapping/scripting scenes are able to support NS2 for a long time to come after UWE has gone to

Universe of Natural-Selection (MMORPG-FPS-RTS)
  • CattablissCattabliss Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66803Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735982:date=Nov 4 2009, 12:48 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Nov 4 2009, 12:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735982"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"At least a year" doesn't mean "after a year we're saying goodbye to NS2."

Look at how long NS1 was supported. You can tell UWE clearly takes pride in their work and I'm willing to bet they'll spend however many years they feel is necessary to complete NS2's experience.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They'll probably release DLC (free or otherwise) as well apart from supporting NS2 for a year. I think it's safe to assume that the year stated means bugfixes, patches and improvements onto vanilla.

I would be happy to buy DLC that unlocks say.. an extra lifeform later on or a special stock LMG for the marines.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    edited November 2009
    There is only so much ya can do to a game once balance and stability is established, which is more than possible to do in a year. I am sure NS2 will have a longer tail with the addition of expansions.

I wonder how much they could reasonable ask for an expansion if the base game is 20 dollars... 10, maybe even 15?
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1735996:date=Nov 3 2009, 06:30 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Nov 3 2009, 06:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is only so much ya can do to a game once balance and stability is established, which is more than possible to do in a year. I am sure NS2 will have a longer tail with the addition of expansions.

I wonder how much they could reasonable ask for an expansion if the base game is 20 dollars... 10, maybe even 15?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You forget- the price was $40 for 95% of us. I'd happily pay another 20.
  • MegahaloMegahalo Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33009Members
    I really enjoyed this interview. It's the best I've seen for NS2 so far.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1736015:date=Nov 3 2009, 09:11 PM:name=Megahalo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Megahalo @ Nov 3 2009, 09:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really enjoyed this interview. It's the best I've seen for NS2 so far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree, and I think it is very wise of Charlie to listen "past" fan suggestions. People definetly make dumb suggestions and ideas, but a good game designer should try to discover the motivation behind the comments, as that motivation is never dumb (though sometimes it's because that player just isn't the devs target audience).
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1735982:date=Nov 4 2009, 12:48 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Nov 4 2009, 12:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735982"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"At least a year" doesn't mean "after a year we're saying goodbye to NS2."

Look at how long NS1 was supported. You can tell UWE clearly takes pride in their work and I'm willing to bet they'll spend however many years they feel is necessary to complete NS2's experience.

One thing I've been curious about though, and this interview has only made me more curious, is the fact that the level editor Spark seems too good to be true. I mean, if Spark is as easy and quick as they say then why doesn't every developer use something similar to Spark? Hot loading maps, seeing lighting changes in real time, no compiling? That's a good deal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I couldn't say why it hasn't been done like this before, but the Spark Editor is certainly the real deal. It makes it so easy to iterate your designs. Want to tone down that blue accent lighting? Just go in and change the values and you can instantly see how it looks.
  • DeKayDeKay Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67752Members
    15-20 min sounds so much "casual-gaming"-like - a trend I see since gaming consoles have overrun the market.
    I hope we will still have deep games... I always liked how slow NS1 was sometimes, when you build something or walk down a hallway with 3 of your buddys, listening carefully so you could hear any sound. It takes time to build up a good atmosphere in a game and as I remember the rounds in NS1 were usually 30+ minutes long. 15 minutes would be half of that - I am a bit worried about that.
  • palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    Most NS1 rounds already last between 15-20 minutes, sometimes there's an epic game that lasts up to 1 or in rare cases 2 hours.