Why was Lua dropped ?

SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
<div class="IPBDescription">was the GLDsource engine the problem ?</div>Hey I would like to know why LUA wasn't integrated into ns1 ?
Maybe the engine wasnt capable of handling that ? or why ?^^

Comments

• RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    edited November 2009
    I'm not sure Lua was ever considered for NS1. But if it were, I would imagine it would run into the same problems that caused the team to abandon the Source engine and write their own for NS2. After all, Source comes from Gold Source, right?
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    edited November 2009
    Yea you are right... Source is made out of GLDsource.

It is mentioned in the nstr files or in 1.0 or 1.04 , not sure ;D

"Don't ever use:
    ---------------
    mp_bulletcam - Setting to 1 will give "bulletcam" effect when using the grenade launcher. Unpredictable and untested
    mp_testing - Setting this to 1 will spit out animation error messages, don't use
    mp_trainingmode - Mostly unused
    mp_deathmatchmode - Don't touch, unpredictable results
    mp_serverscripts - Not fully implemented. When set to 1, this will (in the future) allow servers to run their own LUA scripts"
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    LUA was never considered for NS. LUA wasn't really extended in to games even though it as been around since the early 90s's. I'm not sure it would be worth the while trying to work it in to the HL engine if that's possible.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    "mp_serverscripts - Not fully implemented. When set to 1, this will (in the future) allow servers to run their own LUA scripts"

from 1.0 or 1.04 files...
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    And? LUA was only an idea to be implemented in 2000., by the time the modification was released in 2002 do you really think LUA would have been a great advantage to try and implement and get across? From a game development point of view it is interesting but I'd assume extremely difficult and not time worthy.

LUA can be much more easily implemented in to newer game technologies and clearly Charlie and the team had the idea of using LUA in games, their game with NS however it didn't materialise. In fact what they did was implement it in to NS2 on a much more powerful foundation, their own engine, Decoda, financial investment.

LUA was never dropped, it was simply a nice idea. It's all well and done saying 7-9 years looking back on it, however if you played around with the Half-life engine 7-9 years ago LUA wasn't the first thing on your mind.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    I remember mp_bulletcam

it didn't work and gave you a third person view from chest level ='(

it could have been cool though
  • digzdigz be still, maggot Join Date: 2002-05-07 Member: 588Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I don't have the final say on this... but from what I remember in one form or another I believe LUA (or a scripting language like it) was being looked at for NS1, but I think the limitations of time and having it function the way they wanted it too was outside their scope and ambitions.