Release Date Pushed Back

zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
"Powered by Unknown's proprietary "Spark" engine, the multiplayer-focused game mixes elements of strategy with first-person shooting action. It's slated to arrive via Steam in 2010, with those that pre-order getting access to the level editor in November. "
<a href="http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61082" target="_blank">http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61082</a>

So it looks like we've gone from "Fall 2009" to "2010." That's a shame - I hope they mean Q1 2010, not "the last day of Q4 2010."

Comments

• XerondXerond Undefined Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29817Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    I've always been expecting the NS2TR or Alpha to be out by the end of fall. So really this is no change of pace for me. =)

I don't expect anyone to think they'll have they're hands on a full release within this year.

But, if you want early access... pre-order SE. That is all. =)
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Ah well...
    At least we have been told, and we know why. It wasn't exactly a surprise.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Yeah now we just have to contend with the "UWE LIED TO US" posts for the next 24 hours and then we should be good from there :P
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734673:date=Oct 30 2009, 10:49 PM:name=Xerond)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xerond @ Oct 30 2009, 10:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've always been expecting the NS2TR or Alpha to be out by the end of fall. So really this is no change of pace for me. =)
    But, if you want early access... pre-order SE. That is all. =)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No change of pace? They specifically say that a playable version (alpha or beta) this fall is NOT HAPPENING, and they've redefined "early access" to mean access to the SDK, NOT to an alpha or beta:

"As most of you know, we've been planning on releasing NS2 in some playable form this Fall. Back in May, we thought that if the game wasn't done, at least it would be ready to play in an alpha or beta state at the very least. We wish we still thought that was true, but now we realize it isn't happening."
  • XerondXerond Undefined Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29817Members, Constellation
    Duped.

I just now saw the news post. Eh, it is slightly disappointing. At the same time though, let them do what they have to do.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    if you read the second interview they say that the game is essentially now going to be a AAA title... the original concept to make it a feasible release was to strip out a lot... like HA/dynamic infestation.... but because of the influx of preorders they can now make the full thing happen, so they have adjusted their schedule. Exciting information!
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734687:date=Oct 30 2009, 11:55 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Oct 30 2009, 11:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah now we just have to contend with the "UWE LIED TO US" posts for the next 24 hours and then we should be good from there :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OMG MONIES BACK PLEASE
    <!--quoteo(post=1734712:date=Oct 30 2009, 11:10 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Oct 30 2009, 11:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734712"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OMG MONIES BACK PLEASE<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

GTFO my thread, please. I've seen none of that here, so whether you think you are being "satirical" or not, you're just wasting space.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    I'm assuming that alpha would be ready by February-ish. That gives them November, December and January to do up the alpha and I don't really expect them to take longer than 3 months to deliver an unfinished version of the game with 1 map and lots of abilities missing. Give it a few months, and then beta, and a few more months, and full release. So it should be within 2010 and shouldnt go into 2011.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734715:date=Oct 30 2009, 11:11 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Oct 30 2009, 11:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->GTFO my thread, please. I've seen none of that here, so whether you think you are being "satirical" or not, you're just wasting space.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

chillax mang, I found it kind of funny :P
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Hey guys.

Make sure you read our new <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/10/ns_7th_anniversary_progress_and_first_ns2_screenshots" target="_blank">blog update</a> describing this in more detail.
  • MormyMormy Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734668:date=Oct 30 2009, 10:46 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Oct 30 2009, 10:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734668"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Powered by Unknown's proprietary "Spark" engine, the multiplayer-focused game mixes elements of strategy with first-person shooting action. It's slated to arrive via Steam in 2010, with those that pre-order getting access to the level editor in November. "
    <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61082" target="_blank">http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61082</a>

So it looks like we've gone from "Fall 2009" to "2010." That's a shame - I hope they mean Q1 2010, not "the last day of Q4 2010."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    what i think is that no one should give them any more money and make them work for it. due to the fact they lied as a company not meeting there deadlies . if they were part of a real company they would of been fired so me im pissed off
  • RhodriRhodri Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17575Members
    @ Mormy - no they didn't lie - they said they were aiming for a fall Alpha not that they were 100% going to have an Alpha ready. Wer're still getting our toolset which I'm more than happy with. And no they would not have been fired, or probably even chewed out - set backs and scheduale readjustments happen all the time in the games industry. It's very difficult to foresee every problem that will crop up or to estimate how long certain jobs will take, hence why games tend to have ESTIMATED release dates untill they near the end of production.
  • VanillamarineVanillamarine Join Date: 2009-10-17 Member: 69068Members
    Flayra stated in a different thread that pre-orders can be cancelled.

I think this is a good business decision.
  • Commie SpyCommie Spy Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68008Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734722:date=Oct 30 2009, 11:15 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Oct 30 2009, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734722"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->chillax mang, I found it kind of funny :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i know right haha zex is such a tool... calm down buddy it's the internet, your harsh words mean nothing...

more importantly, the game looks great. and i really didn't care til now, but MAX is fking killing it out there. you never give credit to the super lame programmer because programmers are super lamez - but wow max if you read this it's pretty incredible what you are doing. small teams do the amount of work you are doing. resume builder holy sht

they pretty much have made it clear (at this point anyways) that they were going to half-ass the game and release it winter 2009, and they have decided to make the game much better. DI and HA back in the game is a big relief. One of my biggest concerns was them releasing a half assed game. sounds like they woke up, their initial less is more idea is pretty stupid.

if they are throwing the level editor out to us, then the community needs to return the help wiki-style and make some maps to take off the workload. I'm taking one class in the spring before I graduate - so that means a lot of free time, if ya catch my drift

and @Mormy, UWE is extremely ambitious, and ambitious developers tend to make good games. Also, their timeline was w/o a doubt going to be changed. if you thought otherwise than you are a stupid consumer
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1734668:date=Oct 30 2009, 05:46 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Oct 30 2009, 05:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734668"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So it looks like we've gone from "Fall 2009" to "2010." That's a shame - I hope they mean Q1 2010, not "the last day of Q4 2010."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

More than likely it's <b>not</b> going to be Q1 2010. I'm predicting Halloween 2010 for Gold release.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734715:date=Oct 31 2009, 12:11 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Oct 31 2009, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->GTFO my thread, please. I've seen none of that here, so whether you think you are being "satirical" or not, you're just wasting space.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This might not seem obvious due to the lack of a fancy signature and avatar, but I've been an NS fanboy since day 1. I have the highest esteem for the UWE team, and I have approved of almost all decisions they've made so far with NS2 (mostly due to the fact that it's too early to point out a bad decision), and contrarily to many others, I do not demand anything out of NS2. I just have faith that the final product will be according to the standard of excellence I've seen with NS1, and I don't care when that will be.
  • CattablissCattabliss Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66803Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735030:date=Oct 31 2009, 02:45 PM:name=Mormy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mormy @ Oct 31 2009, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what i think is that no one should give them any more money and make them work for it. due to the fact they lied as a company not meeting there deadlies . if they were part of a real company they would of been fired so me im pissed off<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh god! So it begins! Get your rant on about broken promises everybody! What about their promises! Their gifts of chocolates and flowers! Their whispers in the dark!

But you all know like good loving housewives you'll come crawling back.
  • EnragedPlatypusEnragedPlatypus Join Date: 2009-05-30 Member: 67567Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735030:date=Oct 31 2009, 09:45 AM:name=Mormy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mormy @ Oct 31 2009, 09:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what i think is that no one should give them any more money and make them work for it. due to the fact they lied as a company not meeting there deadlies . if they were part of a real company they would of been fired so me im pissed off<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really hope you're being sarcastic. If not, god help you survive in this community.
  • sicbudsicbud Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68083Members
    It's pretty funny that people are still complaining about the release date being pushed back. Does it suck? Sure, but delays happen all the time. At least we know we aren't getting a rushed product. I also fail to see how they broke their promise. The "Fall 2009" was obviously what they were shooting for, but it wasn't a release date set in stone. And it's not like they said "Fall 2009, we promise!!!!!"

If you're really that upset about it, get your money back from your preorder and move on. It's only $20 (or $40) What's the big deal? Besides, it's not like there aren't any games for us to play in the meantime.

Quit your ######.
  • MegahaloMegahalo Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33009Members
    Guys, don't worry about WHEN it's going to be released just be glad that this title did NOT become vaporware like so many before it :)

I mean, yea I'm disappointed that I'll have to wait a little longer, but if that means that I'm getting a better title then I completely support them in their efforts to do that!
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735060:date=Oct 31 2009, 09:43 AM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Oct 31 2009, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->More than likely it's <b>not</b> going to be Q1 2010. I'm predicting Halloween 2010 for Gold release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This doesn't seem too unrealistic...Balancing the game will take quite a bit of testing and player feedback, and it's not unusual for map creation to take ~6 months (hopefully the process will be faster on this engine, but you can't rush creativity, and the maps will need balance testing too)
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735057:date=Oct 31 2009, 03:37 PM:name=Commie Spy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Commie Spy @ Oct 31 2009, 03:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i know right haha zex is such a tool...
    if they are throwing the level editor out to us, then the community needs to return the help wiki-style and make some maps to take off the workload.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So trolling and flaming is acceptable behavior on this forum? Interesting. I have just one question about the content of your post, how do you expect the community to create functionally balanced maps when we won't even have a playable alpha until sometime in 2010, and we won't see the full tech tree until Beta?

<!--quoteo(post=1735062:date=Oct 31 2009, 03:50 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Oct 31 2009, 03:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735062"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This might not seem obvious due to the lack of a fancy signature and avatar, but I've been an NS fanboy since day 1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, it actually is obvious that you are a fanboy. Again, please refrain from posting OT spam in my thread, thanks.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735129:date=Oct 31 2009, 02:46 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Oct 31 2009, 02:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how do you expect the community to create functionally balanced maps when we won't even have a playable alpha until sometime in 2010, and we won't see the full tech tree until Beta?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It kind of worked that way with NS1. And even if some maps needed balancing out and changes, it didn't stop the process of creation before ns1 was released. I my opinion a map is never really finished anyway, they're are only abandoned to their faith, but it can always evolve.

<!--quoteo(post=1735129:date=Oct 31 2009, 02:46 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Oct 31 2009, 02:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my thread, thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It stopped being yours the moment if went out of your head to the internet world. Now it's the internet's!
  • duke_Qaduke_Qa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62405Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    About the delay: Not a problem. In fact, I'm more pleased to know that they have the chutzpah to actually postpone and make a better game. Giving us a mediocre taste wouldn't have done any favours for fan or creator.

Also, releasing it in these days of MW2 and other blockbuster games... Not the best of times.

Anyway, keep up the good work! Good to hear you got another programmer and that that the pre-order money we've contributed with are helping you produce an awesome game :)
  • TheMatrixTheMatrix Join Date: 2008-11-02 Member: 65358Members
    I really think people need to chill here when they ordered it they knew there was a risk that it would not be done in time...
    And well again what kinda game you want? a game were you lag/crash/get-bugged-all-over-your-face and stops playing because of it?
    Or a game that is actuarially Working??

Well im more then happy That they are still working on it at least, i Would totally stop making the game by now because of all the complaints....

//Regards Matrix
    Who exactly needs to chill? This is the only thread I've seen on this topic, and 99% of the posts are people saying they don't care that the game has been delayed.

Also, you would have stopped making a game that people had given you ~$750,000 to make, because of people complaining on an internet forum? Really?

<!--quoteo(post=1735140:date=Oct 31 2009, 08:41 PM:name=TheMatrix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheMatrix @ Oct 31 2009, 08:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735140"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really think people need to chill here<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735030:date=Nov 1 2009, 12:45 AM:name=Mormy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mormy @ Nov 1 2009, 12:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what i think is that no one should give them any more money and make them work for it. due to the fact they lied as a company not meeting there deadlies . if they were part of a real company they would of been fired so me im pissed off<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well its a good thing you aren't incharge then, otherwise no one would be playing ns2......

you've obviously never played a blizzard game?

infact if twice as many people pre-ordered then the game probably would be out a lot faster or would have more content

its $40? well no wait, its even $20..... wtf are you doing on the internet if you don't have $20 to spare? you should be working on your resume :P
  • SnazzSnazz Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62482Members
    I don't recall there being any deadlines promised, let alone an actual date.

If you can't handle an inexact delay (for the best of reasons) you shouldn't be pre-ordering games that aren't even in Alpha testing yet.
  • leftclickleftclick Join Date: 2009-04-21 Member: 67242Members
    I have to say, as someone who has been following the NS2 site / NS2 development updates for near on a year / year and a half now, the update was very disappointing.

Taking a notably solid deadline (a 3 month period that was initially leaked by the investors) and removing it without providing another, more realistic one, just doesn't sit well with me.

Fair enough, they have the resources to incorporate ideas and concepts that were out of reach previously... but with as much development time as they have behind them, plus a growing team, I don't think it is too hard to look at the workload and realistically estimate how long it should take. By realistically I mean accounting for delays here and there, because they do happen and it is understandable.

To be honest, if the game is pushed back to this time next year (and I understand that this prediction is in no way set in stone etc) I will probably have stopped following its progress.