Autobite

Comments

• TheMatrixTheMatrix Join Date: 2008-11-02 Member: 65358Members
    I dont see the big problem with autobite here:S I like the idea.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1733158:date=Oct 21 2009, 06:53 AM:name=Tekoppen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tekoppen @ Oct 21 2009, 06:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733158"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alright to combine both "Auto-Bite" and "Manual Bite" it will turn out like this:

If you hold down the "Alt-Fire" then the "Auto-Bite" will be active.

But if you just fast click the "Alt-Fire" then the "Auto-Bite" will be disabled and your free to "Manual Bite" as you wish.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Win.
    It's still a bit complicated for beginners (we have to assume like always that gamers are complete idiots) but at least it's a compromise.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Anyone else read the tweet and forsee this thread?
  • RzrRzr Join Date: 2009-04-02 Member: 67002Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733163:date=Oct 21 2009, 09:15 AM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Oct 21 2009, 09:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733163"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone else read the tweet and forsee this thread?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Indeed, predictable
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    A couple worries:

1. Will the "autobite" be a 180° bsaed oh the player's view? or will it be based on the crosshair placement?

2. Will it be toggleable?

3. Will it interfere with primary bite and if it does what is the delay between bites?

I personally hate automation in videogames. Even auto reload. My last question is why make it a bite? Why not a scratch like in NS1 just with more damage as some have mentioned?

Number 3 is what really concerns me. I can see marines instead of trying to dodge the skulk, getting in his way so he will drop like a stone at their feet unable to bite for 1-2 seconds. Enough time to unload a clip or two.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Fail.

Why not auto-aim? It's the natural counter to auto-bite.
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    Simply put most people would like to play the game, not have it play itself for them.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1733104:date=Oct 21 2009, 03:18 AM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Underwhelmed @ Oct 21 2009, 03:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733104"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope Flayra will rethink this. It's one thing to let players easily execute what they want to do (+movement), and entirely another to do it for them. The marine equivalent would be like having your gun fire automatically when the crosshairs are over an alien.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm rather disappointed that they are moving away from +movement. Moving with it is great fun and feels natural. It came so late in the games lifetime it never really got its chance to shine.
    <!--quoteo(post=1733137:date=Oct 21 2009, 06:18 AM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Oct 21 2009, 06:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Get some perspective people. This isn't going to simplify leap->bite too much. As zek pointed out already, having to hit the marine to bite is not optimal. Typically you can bite as you leap past or get near a marine and the skilled player will still be able to do this and it will still be a differentiator. I see this as a simplification of the very basic scenario where you leap directly at a marine. It will make it easier and less latency dependent to get off that bite on contact. Beginner players will be able to leap at marines and have a half decent chance of landing a hit, and skilled players will be able to do a lot more. When you're leaping at a marine, the last thing you want to do is make contact and fall the ground at their feet? You want to turn and bite on the way past to disorient them and then dash around them to land the second bite before they have time to react.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I appreciate that you're trying to remove part of the latency factor with this. I think that is actually worthwhile and this does accomplish that. But to reiterate, just because some people want to drive with automatic doesn't mean everyone wants to use automatic. Sometimes manual is better. I don't think this is a case where you can say you're definitively "doing this the right way and the players don't need options". There are enough scenarios where this would frustrate the heck out of me where I'm going to turn it off. Period.

If I can turn it off you will have no complaints from me.

For your description it sounds like this is only "autobite" or "autobite only when guaranteed a hit" and not autohit. Can we get a clarification?
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    I remember all the people who thought +movement removed skill because people didn't have to hit leap, switch weapons, bite and just had to hit key one, key two. There was a lot of "oh no now it doesn't take skill!" at that time too.

All this change does is remove a single step just like last time. For players with suboptimal computers they will be able to do a quick action that does damage. If leap simply did damage like it used to instead of 'bite' would you all be ######?

I'm all for the change as leaping and landing that leap takes skill already, trying to time a bite in addition is extra unneeded work for an instinctively biting creature. Toggling would be nice so that you don't have to bite but the feature itself is no different than the old leap+change weapons scripts that did the same thing as the +movement change.

A leaping skill getting to do a little damage is not the same thing as auto aim. Leap+bite is like requiring the marine to hit a key to bring the weapon to ready before firing.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733193:date=Oct 21 2009, 02:42 PM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Oct 21 2009, 02:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A leaping skill getting to do a little damage is not the same thing as auto aim. Leap+bite is like requiring the marine to hit a key to bring the weapon to ready before firing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which alot of games actual do now :P (iron sites)
  • SnarKsSnarKs Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67584Members
    I dont really have a problem with the autobite, but i would suggest a way to disable it in the options menu for personal preference.

I remember having to quick switch between leap and bite, but scrolling through the key bind menu one day, i noticed leap was bound to R, that made it so much easier rather than having to quick swap. I would prefer it that way. Which is basically what they have now it seems, except with an autobite feature.

Also, im sure autobite isnt exactly a final decision, just something to try out.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    If we all played the game and it sucked, and we let the devs know, I'm sure it would be changed/fixed.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    It's a ranged attack that moves you forward and does damage if you hit your target. I don't understand what the controversy here is.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    We may have have found our reason for no tweats for so long. They purposley say things to "kick the hornets nest" so to speak and sit back and laugh =/ so devs quit with the scandolous tweats and give us our Lerk reveal!!! Lol
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1733140:date=Oct 21 2009, 06:34 AM:name=rebirth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rebirth @ Oct 21 2009, 06:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733140"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay i might sound stupid asking this but: What's this +movement i keep reading all over the place?
    I've been out of the NS loop for some years and i just used fastswapping as i do today. So what does +movement do?

On autobit: Hard to judge as long as we don't know how the new leap works, but i have to say it doesn't really convince me. Especially if we allready have leap as an alt-fire for bite, this allready makes it way easier than current fastswapping. But adding autobite? Maybe that's a little bit too much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The best way to see what it is is just to use it. Fire up a game of NS and go to a co server(since you won't know how to play well and just want abilities + lifeforms to test) and use it. It's by default the same key as +reload.

To describe it, it's a button that all movement abilities(blink, leap, flap, charge) are bound to and you can press it without changing weapons. It sounds simple, but it's <i>really</i> useful and made fade much more intuitive by having blink accessible all of the time.
    <!--quoteo(post=1733193:date=Oct 21 2009, 10:42 AM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Oct 21 2009, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I remember all the people who thought +movement removed skill because people didn't have to hit leap, switch weapons, bite and just had to hit key one, key two. There was a lot of "oh no now it doesn't take skill!" at that time too.

All this change does is remove a single step just like last time. For players with suboptimal computers they will be able to do a quick action that does damage. If leap simply did damage like it used to instead of 'bite' would you all be ######?

I'm all for the change as leaping and landing that leap takes skill already, trying to time a bite in addition is extra unneeded work for an instinctively biting creature. Toggling would be nice so that you don't have to bite but the feature itself is no different than the old leap+change weapons scripts that did the same thing as the +movement change.

A leaping skill getting to do a little damage is not the same thing as auto aim. Leap+bite is like requiring the marine to hit a key to bring the weapon to ready before firing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The main thing people are concerned with is that there won't be a way to turn it off. With +movement players can and do still fastswitch. The people who are saying it will decrease skill's point depends a lot on the implementation.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1733193:date=Oct 21 2009, 09:42 AM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Oct 21 2009, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I remember all the people who thought +movement removed skill<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought +movement was great.

Auto-bite removes skill.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733149:date=Oct 21 2009, 07:26 AM:name=Tekoppen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tekoppen @ Oct 21 2009, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alright to combine both "Auto-Bite" and "Manual Bite" it will turn out like this:

If you hold down the "Alt-Fire" then the "Auto-Bite" will be active.

But if you just fast click the "Alt-Fire" then the "Auto-Bite" will be disabled and your free to "Manual Bite" as you wish.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This will not work if you want to leap three times in a row. The timing would be a matter of arbitration and thus flawed inherently. Either too little delay, too much. It would be to hard to get right. And different people would have different "optimal" delay times.

Just make it an optional thing. "Skilled" players still get their "skill ability" and newbies still get their "kill anything at all ability". Just like +Movement, "skilled" players can choose whether or not to use it.

I don't see what the problem is of having an automated feature <i>when you can just turn it off</i>. Stop whining! The only people who will use this will be new people or GASP! unskilled players. Oh no! People who are bad at skulking won't get completely annihilated anymore?! Whatever shall we gosu marines do when we can't kill 3 newbie skulks in a 3-on-1 fight?!
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Seems unintuitive. I don't recall playing any game where you automatically attack enemies by just being near them. (automatically damage, though...)
    Doubt any newbie would expect it either. "Okay, so I have a bite for attack, guess I'll have to get close... getting closer, close-WHOA! What the hell happened? I didn't click!"

What exactly does it entail though? People say it's only when you bump into enemies, but it could well be that merely being close is touching, which means you'll automatically hit a marine when you zip past his head. That would be kinda lame.

And why the hell did you put leap on alt-fire for bite, what about when we have a non-bite ability selected?
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733198:date=Oct 21 2009, 07:23 AM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Oct 21 2009, 07:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If we all played the game and it sucked, and we let the devs know, I'm sure it would be changed/fixed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How about we get the obvious correct the first time around?
    Is it really that big of a deal
  • RzrRzr Join Date: 2009-04-02 Member: 67002Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733223:date=Oct 21 2009, 02:19 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Oct 21 2009, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733223"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And why the hell did you put leap on alt-fire for bite, what about when we have a non-bite ability selected?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As far as the Skulk reveal goes there were no other abilities determined. They listed Wall-running, Bite and Leap only. Of course you can check Charlie mentioned adding a "provoking" ability to the Skulk and I, think if suitable, they are most likely gonna add alt-fire leap to that too.
    <!--quoteo(post=1733212:date=Oct 21 2009, 10:56 AM:name=juice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (juice @ Oct 21 2009, 10:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733212"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought +movement was great.

Auto-bite removes skill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Auto-bite only removes button mashing 'skill'.

True skill is knowing when and how to attack, not how to time button mashing in an online game due to the influence of latency between the players. Button mashing timing is for rhythm games.

A skulk who hides patiently and strikes when the marine's back is turned is skilled. A skulk who leaps around biting wildly is not even if they are effective in doing so. A player who has repeatedly leaps and bites until he has the timing down is not truly skilled, he just has honed his reflexes to be a twitch player. While that can increase his kills per death ratio he may not necessarily know how to play the game in a way to win as a team and therefore being twitch 'skilled' is not really the same as being skilled. Requiring extra buttons does not equal skill.

Additionally, all the players who are great at bunny hopping are not skilled. That was an engine exploit that due to the inability to be removed was simply incorporated into the game play because there was no way around it. Should the new engine limit the players to actual designed speeds and behaviors I expect to see a bunch of whining about how that removed 'skill' too :(
  • ClinkClink Join Date: 2009-06-07 Member: 67728Members
    I've been playing since Oct 31 2002 and I still suck with the skulk.

+1 auto bite.
    edited October 2009
    Been playing Since April 2004 and i stink too

-1 Auto Bite

You are nullified!
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    Autobite?

Are you kidding me?
  • OnozkiOnozki Join Date: 2005-04-20 Member: 48948Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Why not make skulk bite whole time automaticly? Lets take this casualplayerthing even further.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1733233:date=Oct 21 2009, 08:21 PM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Oct 21 2009, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733233"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A player who has repeatedly leaps and bites until he has the timing down is not truly skilled, he just has honed his reflexes to be a twitch player.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Twitch skill is skill too.
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1733241:date=Oct 21 2009, 01:03 PM:name=Onozki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onozki @ Oct 21 2009, 01:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not make skulk bite whole time automaticly? Lets take this casualplayerthing even further.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why extrapolate a single change to everything else? If they changed the marine speed by 10% would you advocate a 10% speed change fro everyone else?

This is one ability having damage added by doing a bite at the end instead of doing leap damage that could have a bite added to it. It's a removal of a button press, that is all.

<!--quoteo(post=1733243:date=Oct 21 2009, 01:08 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Oct 21 2009, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733243"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Twitch skill is skill too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, it isn't in online games. It is a false 'skill' like being able to write scripts and abuse engine or netcode limitations. A skilled NS player knows when to build, when to listen, when to rush and when to defend when the comm is silent. The skilled player knows the difference between slowing a marine advance through distraction so the rest of the team can defend effectively and simply reducing the marine count by trading his one life for one marine without slowing them down. Twitch is just conditioned reflexes, and loses to a skilled player who has the most minimal reflexes but better grasp of game play.
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1733244:date=Sept 18 1999, 03:11 PM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Sept 18 1999, 03:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why extrapolate a single change to everything else? If they changed the marine speed by 10% would you advocate a 10% speed change fro everyone else?

This is one ability having damage added by doing a bite at the end instead of doing leap damage that could have a bite added to it. It's a removal of a button press, that is all.

No, it isn't in online games. It is a false 'skill' like being able to write scripts and abuse engine or netcode limitations. A skilled NS player knows when to build, when to listen, when to rush and when to defend when the comm is silent. The skilled player knows the difference between slowing a marine advance through distraction so the rest of the team can defend effectively and simply reducing the marine count by trading his one life for one marine without slowing them down. Twitch is just conditioned reflexes, and loses to a skilled player who has the most minimal reflexes but better grasp of game play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:grey--><span style="color:grey"><!--/coloro-->Unless the skilled player screws up or gets unlucky or for whatever other reason winds up in a position that is at best 50-50.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

~~Sickle~~
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733244:date=Oct 21 2009, 07:11 PM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Oct 21 2009, 07:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why extrapolate a single change to everything else? If they changed the marine speed by 10% would you advocate a 10% speed change fro everyone else?

No, it isn't in online games. It is a false 'skill' like being able to write scripts and abuse engine or netcode limitations. A skilled NS player knows when to build, when to listen, when to rush and when to defend when the comm is silent. The skilled player knows the difference between slowing a marine advance through distraction so the rest of the team can defend effectively and simply reducing the marine count by trading his one life for one marine without slowing them down. Twitch is just conditioned reflexes, and loses to a skilled player who has the most minimal reflexes but better grasp of game play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, you're wrong. The winning combination in NS1 is the skill you describe and twitch skill both being equally important. "Conditioned reflexes" happen to be a very good way of discriminating between good FPS players and bad FPS players.