Why kind of physic effects will be in NS2?

FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
I think we need to address this first... Crysis, from what i've read does not use Physx or Havok... instead they run all physic calculations through the CPU using their own home brew physic engine. And if my CPU can run them... then no doubt everyone on this forum can.

But for everyone that isn't a Crytek programmer, it makes sense why it would be appealing to use some pre-made physic engine/tools that you simply license and that would accelerate the development of the game.

The majoirity of the people who will be getting NS2, have played NS1... and therefore took part in a steam hardware survey.
<a href="http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/" target="_blank">http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/</a>

NVIDIA 65.38%
ATI 27.26%
INTEL 4.91%
OTHER 2.25%

NVIDIA is the majority by a land slide. So it would make sense that the NS2 devs use Physx, but i have no idea what the licensing costs are v.s. using some other physics package.

-----------------------------------

Which brings us to my question. Why kind of physic effects will be in NS2?

Obviously if it's something basic then the game doesn't even need to use a physics package. But something tells me from reading this twitter update: "The PhysX Visual Debugger is really cool. Just run it while you're running your game to see its view of the world", that the devs are doing something that is more dependent on such premade software.

So i'm happy to see the devs are experimenting with something which my brand new NVIDIA card can consume, and i wouldn't be saddened if (like crysis) that the physics can be run through your CPU... (just don't listen to ATI customers because they are the bloody minority! xD)

Overall my only wish is that NS2 looks damn good.... i mean >= to Crysis at a minimum :)

Comments

• JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Prepare for GPU flame wars... you have been warned.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732646:date=Oct 18 2009, 01:05 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Oct 18 2009, 01:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Prepare for GPU flame wars... you have been warned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732646:date=Oct 18 2009, 12:05 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Oct 18 2009, 12:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Prepare for GPU flame wars... you have been warned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Arg i cannot believe i said "Why kind of physic effects will be in NS2?"... tired over here lol.

So... how is asking "What kind of physic effects will be in NS2?" and quoting the steam hardware survey for unbiased information regarding the majority of NS1/NS2 steam players... starting a "GPU flame war"?

I think it's obvious you can't add anything constructive to this thread... so i guess that means you wish to start such a "war"...
  • EnragedPlatypusEnragedPlatypus Join Date: 2009-05-30 Member: 67567Members
    edited October 2009
    As someone with a monster Nvidia graphics card and a 5 year old(ish) processor, I can say that PhysX is my hero and Havok is the devil. Of course my opinion is biased due to the fact that I've experienced PhsyX in all it's glory through my 9800GTX+ 1GB and have only experienced buildings falling with a lot of lag from Havok (Due to it's CPU usage).

In short, for now I super support using PhysX. Once I build a new computer and get a CPU that's faster than 2.0GHz, then maybe I'll change my mind.
  • SnorreSnorre Join Date: 2009-10-10 Member: 69012Members
    edited October 2009
    I hope they go with something non-propriatary. More than one out of every four players use an ATI graphics card if we are to believe the Steam hardware survey. If UWE decided to use physx, those 1 out of every four players would not get as good a game performance as those with a Nvidia card. Life isn't fair though, and for any given game, either Nvidia or ATI will perform better. All I ask is that everyone (with an up to date graphics card) will be able to enjoy all the graphical and physical effects of the game. I would hate to see yet another developer make hardware brand spesific graphical and physical functionality. Now, I've read that some of the main functions of the physx engine can be run on the CPU, thus enabling everybody to enjoy them, where as other functions have to be run on a cuda-enabled Nvidia card. If the developers only were to utilize the none hardware-spesific functions of the physx-engine, sure that would be ok. But using the hardware-spesific functions would be less of a good.

NS2 is an online game that, as far as I know, aims to deliver the same good experience for every player. Now, not everybody is going to be able to enjoy the visuals/graphics on the top settings. This is due to the simple fact that some people still run old hardware. But UWE should at least do what they can not to make aspects of the game brand spesific. Stay clear of propriatary solutions, and it will be good. Now I'm sure some will jump to the conclusion that I have an ATI graphics card, and that this is the reason behind this post. Well, yes and no. I'm allready thinking about buying the next generation of Nvidia's graphics card. But I still think that ATI buyers shouldn't be punished for going with the "little guy".
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    edited October 2009
    I prefer open for everyone options because while it was smart business for nvidia to buy physx a while ago its still ###### that it stops some people experiencing games at 100% after the 185.xx software updates.

(both my computers have nvidia so not bitter about it). Also considering ATI is the only ones at the moment with dx11 cards on the market. Considering dx11 is looking to standardise the physics.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    When I played Mirror's Edge on my nVidia 9800GTX I had to turn PhysX support off because all the shattered glass lagged it like crazy. Does anyone have any ideas why the heck?
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    I think you'll find that more and more people will be adopting ATI cards after their successful 4xxx and 5xxx series releases..

Best not to make it propriety.

Pretty sure max has already confirmed that they are just using the software side of it though.
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732644:date=Oct 18 2009, 06:52 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Oct 18 2009, 06:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(just don't listen to ATI customers because they are the bloody minority! xD)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Byebye, ignored
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    As it has been stated, they are just using the software side of the physx engine. It's no different than, say, using the Havoc engine. And since we all love pointless video card debates. Locked.
This discussion has been closed.