Will history repeat itself?

Comments

• PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Totally agree with you Thaldarin.
    I don't want them making videos and sreenshoots, I want them focused on finishing the game.

And I think that those big companies don't have the development team making this videos, they have other people doing them, during play tests.

And here we have a tiny company, fully focused on finishing a great game, engine and tools, and all this for the community.

I never pre-purchase a game, until now. I always want to see a demo before buying a game, but with UWE I'm sure they will do the best game they can do. They already have done it with NS1 and now is just a matter of patience. Fall ends on November 20, winter start November 21, and I don't care if I have to wait for december or january, I care about getting what they have told us.

And if the release date is not just now and is in a few month, who cares, other games from big companies are delayed for more than that. Remember that Valve last year told everyone that in december 2008 or january 2009 will tell when HL2 EP3 will be released, and we are in october 2009 and still no news about it.

If you really want something with quality some times you have to wait a little longer.

And finally, dux, finish the god damn maps! :p
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731045:date=Oct 6 2009, 02:31 PM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Oct 6 2009, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731045"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you really want something with quality some times you have to wait a little longer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm doing that, playing NS1 about 5 times a week.
  • RzrRzr Join Date: 2009-04-02 Member: 67002Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731033:date=Oct 6 2009, 02:07 PM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Oct 6 2009, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's simple: <b>We don't want videos with lots of useless special effects, we just want something like "home-made" video, just the way that all other big companies do months before releasing a game.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was already embarrassed by reading your nerd-trolling selfish post when I noticed you´re a brazilian too. Hold on, let me guess... Ruffles

Next time you post something, please replace all the WEs with Is. tyvm.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731044:date=Oct 6 2009, 01:28 PM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Oct 6 2009, 01:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731044"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think you've read my post completely.
    I told (twice) that I'm not impatient as for the release date. I don't mind waiting some time more.
    And I'm not putting pressure on them. I've paid for something that I was already expecting.
    I'm being realistic. 10 minutes is not much time, and is enough to record the simple in-game video that the community wants.
    As you may have noticed, based on my posts count, I'm not a "whiner".

And a company <b>should hear it's customers cautiously</b>. What if Blizzard didn't hear the community and continued developing Starcraft 2 with that childish-coloured graphic thing? Yea, the game would sell like water anyway, but Blizzard's name wouldn't be the same anymore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You sound extremely passively aggressive. "I don't think you guys are taking too long, but OTHER people think you are taking too long. Not me though, no sir-eee!"
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1731048:date=Oct 6 2009, 01:41 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Oct 6 2009, 01:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You sound extremely passively aggressive. "I don't think you guys are taking too long, but OTHER people think you are taking too long. Not me though, no sir-eee!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's not what he's saying; he wants to see in-game videos. He's not talking about release date length. Still whinging, just not release date whinging.
  • worxeworxe Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68963Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1731044:date=Oct 7 2009, 05:28 AM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Oct 7 2009, 05:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731044"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm being realistic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dont think you have any idea of the work that the 4-5 UW people have to tackle on their own with the small amount of money they get through donations/pre-orders while trying to keep track of other daily priorities for a AAA title, so lets be realistic, you'll be surpised what you can accomplish in 10 minutes when under a tight deadline and you're not trying to cater to a single selfish forum troll.
  • FuNiOnZFuNiOnZ Join Date: 2004-02-05 Member: 26112Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731054:date=Oct 6 2009, 02:00 PM:name=worxe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (worxe @ Oct 6 2009, 02:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731054"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont think you have any idea of the work that the 4-5 UW people have to tackle on their own with the small amount of money they get through donations/pre-orders while trying to keep track of other daily priorities for a AAA title, so lets be realistic, you'll be surpised what you can accomplish in 10 minutes when under a tight deadline and you're not trying to cater to a single selfish forum troll.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While I hate the whining about release dates and delays just as much as everyone else, I hate sackriders so very much more.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We're working hard and doing the best we can.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Take all the time you need, some of us have learned that the point where game release is truly lagging is when the first released gfx start to look out-dated. Just don't "Duke Nukem Forever" us. ;) Don't worry about...

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The online communities put up some nice hype when the 'Fall 2009' was approaching, now the hype is slowly falling apart unless something happens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

...because NS2 has no hype. Does it? Haven't seen. You might argue that the lack of hype was what left NS1 population what it was - I'd argue it was it being "a mere mod". Standalone is alot easier to market than "...this mod to another game" innit? Or am I being optimistic. :G Altho lets not start a convo on it, I want to see this thread sink. -.-' (Besides, hype doesn't make great games. It's just hype.)

davidcavalcante:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Next time you post something, please replace all the WEs with Is. tyvm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On a personal note, lol, isn't it funny how little you need to find something to moan about? I bet people do stuff like this just for the sake of an argument. :P
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1731059:date=Oct 6 2009, 02:10 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Oct 6 2009, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On a personal note, lol, isn't it funny how little you need to find something to moan about? I bet people do stuff like this just for the sake of an argument. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    At least it means he cares. Charlie will be in trouble the day there aren't any "release teh gaem, giev me screenshtos" threads.
  • ViolenceViolence Join Date: 2004-10-10 Member: 32199Members
    Step 1: Preorder.
    Step 2: Put the game in the back of your mind, maybe check the forums 2 times a week.
    Step 3: When the game is released download it and punch in your CD key.

Bam, the wait isn't so bad anymore. Let them do their thing, if you've preordered you've already done as much as you can to help them. Getting antsy and demanding videos in threads like this is only going to make the wait unpleasant for you and everyone else that follows these forums.
  • [WHO]Mr.Black[WHO]Mr.Black Join Date: 2009-06-14 Member: 67841Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1730963:date=Oct 5 2009, 11:11 PM:name=xtcmen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xtcmen @ Oct 5 2009, 11:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would you buy a car without looking at it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I ride the bus... Cars are for n00bs.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731051:date=Oct 6 2009, 01:54 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Oct 6 2009, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731051"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's not what he's saying; he wants to see in-game videos. He's not talking about release date length. Still whinging, just not release date whinging.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ooops, I intended to say in-game videos but I am getting ready for work right now. Sorry to davidcavalcante.

That said, work time!
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1731039:date=Oct 6 2009, 09:21 AM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Oct 6 2009, 09:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The majority of us have paid for the game already and they can't lose us as customers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    UWE doesn't have the money for a large advertisement campaign. The success of the game will be completely dependent on word of mouth. The current NS1 community is the key to NS2's success. Losing the interest of even 10 users could easily mean thousands of dollars.

Complaining is perfectly justified when preorders are sold and deadlines are set.

There is no reason to have a late 'alpha' release. UWE should really spend a week finalizing the infrastructure for deployment and give out weekly builds, even if it is unplayable. Anyone that payed $40 to an "unknown" game company for a largely unpublicized game did it because they loved NS not because they wanted a game to match Blizzard, Valve, or EA. People are far more likely to get bored and lose interest in NS than they are to download the alpha, think it sucks, and never play it again. Also... once the alpha is released I guarantee the number of special edition copies sold will increase.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned October 31st. I mean, if there's something to be expected in Fall, then this would be when I'd be expecting it. Then again, I won't mind if it gets delayed. If UWE wants to get as much attention as possible by releasing something big, then they'll most likely choose the release date very carefully, and for those not aware of what's coming in the next weeks, let me name a few releases: Windows 7 on October 22nd, Dragon Age Origin on November 3rd, Modern Warfare 2 on November 10th and Assassin's Creed on November 17th. Needless to say these products will be all over magazines and gaming websites, and I fear NS2 would simply go unnoticed if - for example - the alpha was to be release at the same time as one of these products. Just my 2¢
    Look at this image: <a href="http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/714955/diablo-iii/images/diablo-iii-20080628035932825.html?page=mediaFull" target="_blank">http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/714955/diabl...?page=mediaFull</a>

Oh! Wait! This image was released 1 year ago and simply RUINED Blizzard's name as it was not what the community wants: in-game release of an eaaaarly pre-alpha game that was to be released in, AT LEAST, 3 years.
    Well, I really think that Blizzard used like 1 minute to print-screen that image along with some others and release it to the community.

Now, seriously...
    Now people are calling me troll. LOL
    I have almost no posts on this forum. I have pre-ordered. I have told hundreds of times that I dont mind waiting some months more.
    I just showed how a simple in-game screenshot could pull a lot of people to the game, pre-order it, and, consequently, fasten up the development process.
    But. No! I'm just a troll and a company should never hear it's customers. We are already in Autumn, there is neither a pronunciation from UW about alpha nor simple in-game images.

Ok. That's it! Just pay the $40 and STFU.

Sincerely, I should have never posted here. OMG...
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1731085:date=Oct 6 2009, 03:47 PM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Oct 6 2009, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731085"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think you're a troll, but think about what you're asking for a second. Blizzard doesn't just have more cash capital, but more intellectual and mind share capital as well. Players know that, in general, Blizzard makes good games and if the screen shots aren't polished that's okay because they have a reputation to back up claims that the final content will be polished. For a company like UWE this is not the case. If they release something of unfinished quality and it goes viral suddenly everyone's first impression of NS2 and UWE is negative and unfairly so.

I'd love to see screenshots and gameplay and everything and the various stages of finish, but that's not an acceptable risk for a small unknown company like UWE. They will continue to release polished content even if it takes longer and they can't release more of it because it, maybe counter-intuitively, makes good business sense even if it isn't what most fans of the game want to see.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1731074:date=Oct 6 2009, 08:37 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Oct 6 2009, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is no reason to have a late 'alpha' release. UWE should really spend a week finalizing the infrastructure for deployment and give out weekly builds, even if it is unplayable. Anyone that payed $40 to an "unknown" game company for a largely unpublicized game did it because they loved NS not because they wanted a game to match Blizzard, Valve, or EA. People are far more likely to get bored and lose interest in NS than they are to download the alpha, think it sucks, and never play it again. Also... once the alpha is released I guarantee the number of special edition copies sold will increase.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bear with me, I might be a tad slow. So if they'd release a sucky alpha... It'd be good because... The people who'd bother to download it, the committed ones... ...would not get bored... Surely they wouldn't in the first place if they'd be committed enough to get the alpha...? ...I think I'm missing something. o.o

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sincerely, I should have never posted here. OMG...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol, david got run over like the last marine alive hiding in a vent. *Gorge chuckle*
    <!--quoteo(post=1731088:date=Oct 6 2009, 04:57 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Oct 6 2009, 04:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731088"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know the difference between UW and Blizzard.
    Well, never mind, I'm not going to discuss it anymore.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1731062:date=Oct 6 2009, 01:13 PM:name=Violence)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Violence @ Oct 6 2009, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731062"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Step 1: Preorder.
    Step 2: Put the game in the back of your mind, maybe check the forums 2 times a week.
    Step 3: When the game is released download it and punch in your CD key.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is pretty much what I've been doing the past few months. I got tired of sitting on the forums all the time and getting caught up in all the hub-bub.
  • GrayDuckGrayDuck Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16134Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1731074:date=Oct 6 2009, 11:37 AM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Oct 6 2009, 11:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People are far more likely to get bored and lose interest in NS than they are to download the alpha, think it sucks, and never play it again. Also... once the alpha is released I guarantee the number of special edition copies sold will increase.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry, I completely disagree. If they release a complete crap alpha sales won't spike - and some of the followers they already had might jump ship.

All davidcavalcante is looking for is some in-game footage that isn't all gussied up. And he's right - it'd be much faster to take some real footage than it would to make a nicely polished demo or advertisement. My thoughts is that NS2 just isn't there yet... but who knows.

While I pre-ordered, I think it is a gamble / donation at best. Sure I'll get the alpha "when it comes out" - will it come out? I hope so, the sooner the better. But NS2 could fold tomorrow and we wouldn't be owed a thing.
    <!--quoteo(post=1731095:date=Oct 6 2009, 04:14 PM:name=GrayDuck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GrayDuck @ Oct 6 2009, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All davidcavalcante is looking for is some in-game footage that isn't all gussied up. And he's right - it'd be much faster to take some real footage than it would to make a nicely polished demo or advertisement. My thoughts is that NS2 just isn't there yet... but who knows.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Careful with word choice. It's not "gussied up" because the devs have been careful to keep a WYSIWYG approach to the releases. The rattling vents in the teaser is the only thing they've said wouldn't be representative of the final game out of the stuff they've released.

I agree NS2 probably just isn't close enough to the "finished product stage" that they want to release screens and gameplay.
  • Rico1Rico1 NS Oldtimer Join Date: 2002-05-24 Member: 664Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731095:date=Oct 6 2009, 02:14 PM:name=GrayDuck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GrayDuck @ Oct 6 2009, 02:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I pre-ordered, I think it is a gamble / donation at best. Sure I'll get the alpha "when it comes out" - will it come out? I hope so, the sooner the better. But NS2 could fold tomorrow and we wouldn't be owed a thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I could see the spirit behind your statement, as i was VERY close to doing the same thing under similar thinking. However if NS2 were to fold I don't think you can simply scratch loss of your money to a "donation". A pre-order is a preorder, and the main reason I haven't preordered NS2 yet is due to the concerns of the OP. I loved NS and played it for quite a while, but I'm assuming that not everyone is in a financial position to donate $40 for a game that they think may never come out.

I'm personally waiting until the alpha comes out, or we see some significant media (no CGI trailers don't count, even though they're very cool) of actual gameplay. Not that I don't love NS, or that I don't trust the developers themselves to provide a great product... I just plain know how game development works, and until I'm sure that this game won't be delayed indefinitely or canned, I probably won't preorder.

Show me a gameplay video of a game in action. A Fraps of beta testers playing on a map, and then I'll preorder on the spot.
  • ljcrabsljcrabs Join Date: 2007-11-15 Member: 62924Members
    Gameplay footage will come with time, there's no point pleading for it because even if they did release it earlier you'd just start pleading for the alpha, then the next thing and the next after that. In the end you'd just have less polished/representative media of everything.

As for the release deadline, it might not be the best idea to put too much stock in it, with project management you often give yourself hard to meet deadlines to keep progress tight and scope creep at bay. The only problem is that customers assume the deadline is completely for them and take it as the word of god.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Can't wait for NS2 to be released? Want to find out how far they have progressed? Desperately need to see in-game content?

Learn to be a great rigger real quick and get hired. Problem solved.
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I'd like some screenshots or something just to ease my mind. I'm happy to wait as long as it takes for NS2. However I wouldn't be a happy camper if at the end of Fall they say "Hmm.. yeah sorry guys not quite done yet."
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731033:date=Oct 6 2009, 11:07 AM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Oct 6 2009, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree. But you UW guys must remember that <b><i>I</i></b> am asking much more for media than the game itself (most people dont care to wait longer, as long as the game is better).
    You've quoted some big games like TF2, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. Yeah, they are taking/took soooooooo long time to come out, and people are not complaining too much with that fact.
    I just want to remember you that even those "big company games" release <i>lots</i> of media much time before the official release. Just take Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 as examples. How much screenshots/videos did Blizzard release for those games? Yeah, many of them, specially for Diablo 3, as it is so far from being released.
    And, <i>no, Blizzard is not making "holywood-like" movies for those video previews, they're just recording some basic in-game videos, with few features being showed and nothing more. No background music, no special effects, just something like opening up FRAPS, running the game, walking around for 1-2 minutes, closing game, saving/encoding video and posting it on the Web</i>.
    I remember that I've seen you guys saying that it takes TOO MUCH TIME to release a video. Well, I have to disagree, based on the Blizzard videos fact.
    <b><i>I</i></b> don't want preview videos being made like great movies, <b><i>I</i></b> just want some media, something that shows us the game, not the technology that UW is using. I don't think it's too hard to understand that <b><i>I</i></b> don't care for modeling/texturing video, <b><i>I</i></b> just want the game as it is.
    Cory has posted some months ago that UW already have a lot of material for the game done, just like the "Armory" was done since Dezember2008/January2009.
    Well, if you guys really have so many things done, why not post the skulk walking around a map in a 3rd person view? (I'm not going to ask for a Marine walking video as the mocap is still in progress, I belive).

It's simple: <b><i>I</i></b> don't want videos with lots of useless special effects, <b><i>I</i></b> just want something like "home-made" video, just the way that all other big companies do months before releasing a game.

PS: Yes, I've already pre-ordered the game (Special Edition) and I don't care for waiting some more months. I just want a game as free of bugs as possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm thinking you somehow have mistaken yourself with "the community", so I've fixed your post for you.
    Kindly don't speak for me again, thanks.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    i love these threads they keep me entertained while i wait for the game.

im sure the devs realize that they said some sort of release in Fall, and are busting their collective asses to get stuff done in time.

also with regards to the 10 min video debacle, they probably can release a 10 minute video, and it would only take 10:30min of their time, the only problem with it is, it would look wonderful.

the textures would look good, lighting great, there would even be some dynamic infestation.. and you guys would then say.

"I want it NOW" but as all good things you cant tell a book by its cover, and even tho it would look great there is still a lot behind the scenes. like how well the engine renders, and how effectively computers communicate with servers etc.

if i can use a Big Brother phrase.

Chillax.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2009
    I think it is safe to say that the reason why there is no gameplay footage, is because the game is not playable. All the forum members that jumped on the NS2 bandwagon will not admit that, and that's why there saying:

"WOW Just wait for the damn game geez, let them take as much time as they need"

The point of this thread was to analyze the history, and I pointed out that there was no gameplay footage, and made a simple request for it.

Judging from the Dev's response, there is no game play footage because it seems the game isn't close to being playable. So the fact of the matter is History is going to repeat itself.

If I paid for the game, I would feel cheated because we were promised a game in Fall 09, and promised a presentation of the game at PAX. We had neither of these, which is very scary. And yes there is the October 31 possible alpha release, which is the only hope I have for a release anytime soon.
    <!--quoteo(post=1731129:date=Oct 6 2009, 07:39 PM:name=xtcmen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xtcmen @ Oct 6 2009, 07:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I paid for the game, I would feel cheated because we were promised a game in Fall 09, and promised a presentation of the game at PAX. We had neither of these, which is very scary. Usually the pre-order comes out with the final release date, I guarantee you this will not be the case.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed.
    Yeah, there are some delays in almost every great game (v.g. Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 blah blah blah).
    And I'm not telling that just because I've paid the $40 it means that I have the right to put pressure on the devs.
    I'm just, <b>KINDLY</b>, asking for something IN-GAME, SOMETHING THAT SHOWS US THE GAME, AND NOT THE TECHNOLOGY THEY ARE USING.
    And, as I speak for lots of people, I'm pretty sure that <b>most of this community wants that, too</b>.
    What makes part of the community worried is that the devs don't enunciate anything.
    I'm pretty sure that most of the community wouldn't mind if release date gets delayed, but I'm also pretty sure that most of us want some gameplay stuff, just to make sure that our $40 were worth it.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731129:date=Oct 6 2009, 10:39 PM:name=xtcmen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xtcmen @ Oct 6 2009, 10:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no gameplay footage,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

here this is gameplay footage <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2008/10/unknown_worlds_videocast_5" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2008...lds_videocast_5</a> , its of a dude so distracted by how awesome the lighting is he forgot to shoot stuff
This discussion has been closed.