Proximity Detection

homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
<div class="IPBDescription">MT Prerequisite</div>As a prerequisite to motion tracking marines must research "proximity detection." The upgrade integrates fancy meter-like displays into the marine HUD that indicate when Kharaa presence is detected.

As Kharaa lifeforms get closer, increase in number, or increase in size the meter increases. Does not pinpoint location or velocity. The hive, alien structures, and dynamic infestation add noise that decreases the effectiveness of the upgrade as marines push farther into enemy territory.

Comments

• aNytiMeaNytiMe Join Date: 2008-03-31 Member: 64007Members, Constellation
    Mobile observatory please.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1728899:date=Sep 26 2009, 06:34 AM:name=aNytiMe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aNytiMe @ Sep 26 2009, 06:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mobile <!--coloro:yellow--><span style="color:yellow"><!--/coloro-->sensory chamber<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fixed.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    Wouldn't this take away the surprise factor?

You know what I mean?

But if we make localized voice chat it would be the same thing... when u hear alien noises you know they are around.
    Yes... just like motion tracking takes away the surprise factor.
    <!--quoteo(post=1729332:date=Sep 28 2009, 01:13 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Sep 28 2009, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729332"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes... just like motion tracking takes away the surprise factor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who suggested motion tracking?
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1729389:date=Sep 28 2009, 05:03 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Sep 28 2009, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1, played it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Long long long time ago, then lost my account with HL on it.

NS2 shouldn't have motion tracking that shows enemies IMO.
  • EnragedPlatypusEnragedPlatypus Join Date: 2009-05-30 Member: 67567Members
    I'm two days late but I don't care!

I was having a discussion about this with some friends yesterday. Then I had an idea that I thought would be really cool. Granted, it borrows from Aliens heavily, I would still love it. I had suggested that there be some sort of hand held device that shows the general area of enemies (I greatly disliked the "Pinpoint exactly where enemies are right on your screen" system of NS1). While wielding the device, the user would only be able to fire with their pistol which would mean that he would need his squad mates to cover his ass, heavily. Squad VOIP would play a role in this, it would require someone with a microphone, so he could call out the general location of aliens to his squad. When equipped with this tracker, maybe make the secondary attack bring the tracker up a little more, letting the user see it in more detail.

Second version would be a semi-end game side-grade for the marines weapon. Same principle, a little motion tracker attached to the side of the gun, doesn't allow for detailed assessment (Like the handheld) but gives the user a general idea of the direction he'll be attacked from. My only other suggestion in the realm of motion tracking, would be to not make it a constant feedback system. Where as soon as the creature moves, you know it's moving. I would (again, borrowing from aliens) much rather a sort of radar system, where it updates ever second or two, then showing the new location.

So yeah, just some suggestions of mine...

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--> Be gentle...<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    I had forgotten about this but a while back I suggested a similar idea except using <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=105326&hl=echo" target="_blank">sound</a>.

To summarize:
    <!--quoteo(post=1696226:date=Dec 17 2008, 12:21 AM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Dec 17 2008, 12:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1696226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some of you probably remember the "Flashlight Motion Tracker" mod where you would get a periodic "blip" that would get faster as an enemy got closer. I had several problems with this mod A.) it was too loud and would drown out other sounds B.) it wasn't very accurate C.) it didn't distinguish between multiple enemies. I think the devs could avoid these pitfalls fairly easily.

How Echolocation would be different:<ul><li> You would "ping" and get an echo back. The time for the echo to return is how you measure distance to an enemy.</li><li> It would be directed(ie there's a cone in front of you, it wouldn't help from behind or above<b> if you weren't looking in that direction.</b>)</li></ul>

In general this would make MT more interesting than it is now while not taking up valuable screen real estate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    I like the proximity detection.
    It's kind of like MT, but lacks the huge frustration potential for midgame skulking.
    And it would still be a viable upgrade, not just a longer research time for full MT.
  • MikeyTWolfMikeyTWolf Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67665Members
    Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude! Dude!

Dude!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (Clear Sky specifically and it's anomally detectors) graphics makeover mod + this = YES!

:D
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1729405:date=Sep 28 2009, 10:32 PM:name=-Diesel-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Diesel- @ Sep 28 2009, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729405"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Long long long time ago, then lost my account with HL on it.

NS2 shouldn't have motion tracking that shows enemies IMO.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    get off the forums
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1730162:date=Oct 2 2009, 03:51 AM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Oct 2 2009, 03:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->get off the forums<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Stop flaming people.

I like this topic and would rather not have it fall into bickering.
  • PaladinDudePaladinDude Join Date: 2006-12-04 Member: 58881Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1730199:date=Oct 2 2009, 02:06 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Oct 2 2009, 02:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730199"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stop flaming people.

I like this topic and would rather not have it fall into bickering.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seconded.

How about instead of pinpoint location for aliens on marine's HUDs, how about an portion of the HUD glows where the alien is (so non-specific location), as the aliens gets closer the glow intensifies and becomes more specific.

Perhaps if the Marine commander specifically tags an alien player or structure then that alien is clearly outlined to stand out from the rest.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about a minicomputer attached to the Marines Arm that's holding the front part of the Gun?
    On the MiniPcScreen would be a super sensitive Audio program that shows the direction of Alien Movement and it won't work when the marine runs or shoots.
    The Audio Programs from other Marines would not interrupt and distort the Audio Input because they're built on an own frequence.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    This suggestion is good. I've always felt MT needed some other form prerequisite technology. Hopefully the dev's have already thought of this or something similar gets implemented for NS2.