Will there be a demo on release?

TripleTriple Join Date: 2007-06-18 Member: 61290Members
i was jsut woundering if there will be some sort of demo or experince play before you buy? like a one map only play or trial time account or somthing?

Comments

• glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    Something like this would be a good idea I think. Maybe give people a free week or something. I would say it would definitely boost sales.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited September 2009
    I'm guessing a free weekend, like many Steam released FPS games. It will be interesting to see what they do.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    yeah, free play for X time period (usually weekends) is more suitable for multiplayer games with electronic distribution than demos...not to mention it should be easier to implement than putting out 2 versions of your game
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1729798:date=Sep 30 2009, 10:19 AM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Sep 30 2009, 10:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah, free play for X time period (usually weekends) is more suitable for multiplayer games with electronic distribution than demos...not to mention it should be easier to implement than putting out 2 versions of your game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That works in the short term but what happens when someone finds out about the game a month or two after release?
    The developers should still try to get a demo out at some point.
  • MikeyTWolfMikeyTWolf Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67665Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1729808:date=Sep 30 2009, 03:31 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Sep 30 2009, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729808"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That works in the short term but what happens when someone finds out about the game a month or two after release?
    The developers should still try to get a demo out at some point.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Considering it's LUA, it sounds like it wouldn't be hard to make a mini game standalone mod/demo/thing from the devs, where gameplay would be limited in such a fashion similar to say...

5v5 maximum.
    10 minute timelimit.
    One simple small map, like say, ns1_lucid?

That way if the gameplay mechanics interest them, they can pay for the revered and decent maps. :P
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    Best option is to do a free weekend every month. Since NS2 is entirely a multilayer game and given it's RTS nature, none of it can be made piece meal.
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    Since the game is going to be on sale on Steam they could provide guest passes to the people who own the game.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    A demo would be nice, But who wouldn't buy this game anyways? It costs like 20 bucks.
  • EnragedPlatypusEnragedPlatypus Join Date: 2009-05-30 Member: 67567Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1729798:date=Sep 30 2009, 09:19 AM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Sep 30 2009, 09:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah, free play for X time period (usually weekends) is more suitable for multiplayer games with electronic distribution than demos...not to mention it should be easier to implement than putting out 2 versions of your game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How about at first they just do a trial, where you can have the game for X amount of days, maybe 3?

Then later on, start doing free weekends. The trial would allow anyone, within any amount of time after release to play the game in it's fullness, for that amount of time.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the demo should last forever, but only allow one map to be played on.

If there was only a timed demo, let's say for a week, I think that might be to short. People may not get the hang of the game to really understand it and not want to play it. But if they had the time to learn the game then they might want to pick it up sometime.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1729980:date=Oct 1 2009, 10:42 AM:name=slayer20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slayer20 @ Oct 1 2009, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the demo should last forever, but only allow one map to be played on.

If there was only a timed demo, let's say for a week, I think that might be to short. People may not get the hang of the game to really understand it and not want to play it. But if they had the time to learn the game then they might want to pick it up sometime.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If they have a one map demo, they run the risk of pulling a "Savage". Their demo was two maps and had only one side (humans, no beasts). Very few people bought the actual game because the demo brought so much already.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    A don't think a demo quite works out for NS2. Maybe guest passes as someone suggested would work out to gain more interest from new players, but a demo doesn't really work considering the game is strictly a multiplayer game.

Last time I heard though, once the game is released, the tools will be a free download for anyone. I'm definately sure someone out there who gets the tools for free, can come up with some gameplay mode of their own(in Lua script) and then make a download file for those who don't own the game to play it.

But honestly, either 20 or 40 bucks for a game is not the end of the world. People need to stop being so cheap.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1729991:date=Oct 1 2009, 09:39 AM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Oct 1 2009, 09:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729991"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Last time I heard though, once the game is released, the tools will be a free download for anyone. I'm definately sure someone out there who gets the tools for free, can come up with some gameplay mode of their own(in Lua script) and then make a download file for those who don't own the game to play it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think that will be possible, because the Lua script sits on top of their engine, which can't be modified. Sure, anyone with the game will be able to run different gameplay modes on the engine (and people with just the tools could theoretically make new gameplay modes without the ability to test them), but I assume the keys to play the game are needed for the engine to work.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1729994:date=Oct 1 2009, 04:19 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Oct 1 2009, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729994"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think that will be possible, because the Lua script sits on top of their engine, which can't be modified. Sure, anyone with the game will be able to run different gameplay modes on the engine (and people with just the tools could theoretically make new gameplay modes without the ability to test them), but I assume the keys to play the game are needed for the engine to work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good point about the keys. Thing is though again, anyone can make code in Lua Script and make it run with the engine. Think of it more as being able to make your own modifications, just like how NS1 is. If someone were able to have access to the Half-Life engine for free, got the files for NS1, you'd be able to play, taking into account that the networking code is also built in, so you have access to servers. But yea I guess the only thing stopping them from playing is having a game key/CD-key for verification purposes.

A good question to ask the devs then would be, why release the engine for free to the public if there is no ability to play any modded content on it, or NS2. Tech demo purposes? We shall see. I'm most likely guessing they will still give the ability to make their own mods, but just wont have access to playing NS2. That's the way I see it.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I vote for an unlimited use NS2 client demo.

It would, of course, have restrictions.
    For example (one or more of the following):
    - One map only
    - No client scripting -- except the built-in ns2 base game
    - 10 players max
    - Player's name prefixed with "Demo-"
    - Nag message periodically displays

Additionally, most players that are content to just play using these restrictions in place probably wouldn't buy the game anyways.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Free weekends seem to be the best option, I don't like the idea of releasing a limited client.
  • EddieEddie Join Date: 2004-10-22 Member: 32412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1730061:date=Oct 1 2009, 03:13 PM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Oct 1 2009, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730061"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I vote for an unlimited use NS2 client demo.

It would, of course, have restrictions.
    For example (one or more of the following):
    - One map only
    - No client scripting -- except the built-in ns2 base game
    - 10 players max
    - Player's name prefixed with "Demo-"
    - Nag message periodically displays

Additionally, most players that are content to just play using these restrictions in place probably wouldn't buy the game anyways.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you remember the MOHAA Multiplayer Demo?
    I played that MP demo for 3 years, so did most of my friends and I didn't have to nag my parents for money to buy it... The 2nd best game I've ever played (NS being the best). If I had just gotten a taste of that game without being able to play an MP demo, there's no doubt in my mind I would have bought it. But I was content playing the same map over and over again cause it was so much fun.
  • EpiclandingEpiclanding Join Date: 2009-09-30 Member: 68913Members
    Cant see the harm in releasing a demo, and to make people want to buy the game just limit some gameplay features in the demo, Dual Miniguns, Onos etc.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    I think the best way to "demo" the game is to give the FULL experience for a limited amount of time. Be it via free weekend, guess passes, or both.

I bought TF2 after playing a free weekend (I was actually quite interested in for a while but the free weekend was what finally got me to Download it).

I bought UT3 like 2 weeks ago because of a recent free weekend (and huge price reduction). I didn't even download it yet. Just that the free weekend reminded me about UT3 and how I couldn't run it on my comp when it came out. but now I can! :)

So free weekends not only create a chance to play for those "on the fence" but they also create buzz around the game and they work better at getting people to try a certain game. A demo you can put off for next week/month. Free weekend are now and you tell your friends about it too!

And do them periodically. Once the game has been out for while do the (free weekend + 25% off) then later with 50% and much later on with 75%.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    Yes, Do the full experience for like a week thing.

Limited gameplay never goes well IMO.