Batman: Arkham Asylum

Comments

• GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    To be honest, once you discover the quick baterang button there's little reason to bother aiming :p

I really enjoyed the game. My only personal complaint with it is that the upgrades were fairly 'meh' and by the end I was buying the armour ones (I almost never make my characters tougher unless I have to) just because I had nothing else to spend my points on :o
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I bought the armour upgrades because the knife and baton thugs gave me trouble. Their flow-breaking abilities are jarring. Combat can get almost zen-like when they're not involved, but they have a tendency to yank you out of your perfect moment.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    If you want unbreakable flow just use the dodge move directly on enemies instead of the counters; it stuns the thug you leapfrogged on for a second as well as putting you behind them so you can punch them in the back, works on all thug types and dodges pretty much everything else too. I was just tumbling through a mob, back and forth as a pair of giant clown things barged through them, missing me. Not only was I taking them out but my combo scores were pretty darn respectable :3

Once I worked that out I pretty much never used the counters ever again; didn't need them :o

I always forget to use the baterang in fisticuff combat but I think it finished your combo.
    Also forgot the bathook too... I think you can 'GERROVER HERE!' mortal combat style with it :3
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    Mortal Kombat is spelled with a K because it is XTREME TO THE MAX.

It's also always capitalised, due to aforementioned XTREMEness.

I wouldn't have minded as much if the knife guys were hittable. Or if they weren't hittable, counterable. Being both unhittable and uncounterable is annoying, considering they're just regular thugs. Batman knows like fifteen gajillion forms of martial arts, and yet he doesn't know a single method to attack someone holding a knife other than "throw my cape at him and hope for the best"?

Also, hard mode is hard.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I'm playing on Hard mode from the get-go, but am constantly tired so make mistakes when fighting regular thugs. It's embarrassing, really
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1728693:date=Sep 24 2009, 01:25 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Sep 24 2009, 01:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728693"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm playing on Hard mode from the get-go, but am constantly tired so make mistakes when fighting regular thugs. It's embarrassing, really<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm imagining an exhausted batman weakly swinging at thugs.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    I laughed at the planted mental image.

You have all missed the best part though, using all the gadgets in regular combat! Dodge over an enemy, select super hook, fire and drag three enemies towards you in a god of war like action (bonus when standing near bottomless pit). Cape stun a couple bad guys and jump over something the grunts need to circle around or jump over themselves and explosive foam asap. BANG, 3-5 guys fly away because of their love for stacking up. Run away a bit, equip zipline, attach to opposite wall and dual kick a few of em around. Jump down, tripple batarang anyone standing. Wait, equip remote batarang, steer it on the same thugs trying to stand while going "ReeeeoooooowwWWww" as it turns in the air. Run around a corner, foamspray wall, corner takedown 1/2 remaining. The last guy who thinks he got you with his rifle/knives/fists will explode off the floor as he passes said corner and lay stunned for another proximity foam. And another. And again. Aaand one last time. Now he too is down in a totally non-lethal manner. Stare in awe as batman flexes his muscles.

Everyone needs to die at least once to laughing gas.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    I think the sequel should be a sandbox.

Like GTA, only with Batman. Like you run around Gotham fighting criminals whenever/however, by travelling via rooftops, punctuated by supervillains pulling off capers.

Man that'd be sweeeeeeeeeeeet.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1728725:date=Sep 24 2009, 09:50 PM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Sep 24 2009, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728725"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the sequel should be a sandbox.

Like GTA, only with Batman. Like you run around Gotham fighting criminals whenever/however, by travelling via rooftops, punctuated by supervillains pulling off capers.

Man that'd be sweeeeeeeeeeeet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And Batman gets in his Bat-car and drives through the dense crowd of pedestrians walking to work, going to school or shopping for new clothes. Takedown on a homeless guy crossing the street.
    Batman doesn't kill people. He only renders them unconscious.

Batman can put his entire weight behind the heel of his hardened shoe to the base of someone's neck, pick them up and throw them into an electric fence and/or off a cliff, and they do not die. They are merely "unconscious".

Batman could drive the batmobile through the centre of an outdoor market and all he'd do is make some folk fall asleep for a while.

Seriously though, swinging across rooftops in the rain, and then you're like WHAT HO! A CRIMINAL ACT IS TAKING PLACE and you glide down to an alleyway to beat up some attempted muggers/rapists/whatevers and then you're like "no thanks necessary, I'm the goddamn batman" and you grappling hook back up and then the batsignal appears so you rush across town to Gordon's roof and he's like "Batman! Firefly has set fire to stuff again, the guy's a ######! Go put out some fires, and then punch him in the face until he surrenders!" and you'd be like "okay!" and then you'd be off over the rooftops and you'd find the fire and it'd be like that mission in GTA: SA where you have to rescue that dumb woman from the burning house only instead of a dumb woman, it's a hardened semi-super villain, and instead of rescuing him, you have to punch him repeatedly and then drag his ass to jail for being a hardened semi-super villain.

And then on the way back to the bat cave you perform a 100ft long glide kick to the back of the head of a 14 year old purse snatcher.
    edited September 2009
    Did I mention killing anyone? It's quite a huge bit more horrifying to survive a takedown from the batcar and know that it could happen again. Maybe not the next year, maybe not to you at all, but someday batman will decide to paraglide from his bat-jet and leave the jet itself suspended briefly in air, at an downward angle before crashing into the piece of pavement your loved one unconsciously had choosen to stand on, drinking his or her last cup of coffee. And Batman wouldn't care one bit, he would be off fighting a villain whose combined lifetime of criminal activities don't even show up on the pie chart when matched against Batman's daily caused collateral damage.

edit: ENGLISH IS ###### HARD.
    Said loved one wouldn't die, because nothing belonging to batman can ever kill anyone.

Except, possibly, Jason Todd and Nightwing.
    <!--quoteo(post=1728754:date=Sep 25 2009, 12:18 AM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Sep 25 2009, 12:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Said loved one wouldn't die, because nothing belonging to batman can ever kill anyone.

Except, possibly, Jason Todd and Nightwing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Said loved one wouldn't die, no, but suffer heavily from reverse headbutting a crashing airplane.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Batman doesn't kill people. The ground does, after the thug plummets down towards certain doom after an unfortunate shove.
    Or sometimes the electrified water he shoved them into kills people. But not Batman.
    Electric fences, electrified water and bottomless pits are rendered non-fatal by virtue of the fact that Batman is throwing people into them.

To clarify:

If you fall/walk into electrified water, you die.

If Batman picks you up and throws you into electrified water, you're knocked unconscious and remain there until the authorities arrive.
    That's not what my bat-cowl said. Are you calling Batman a liar?
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Nice signature Tykjen. Is that in the limits?
    The limits are 400x75 and 22kb iirc.
    <!--quoteo(post=1728907:date=Sep 26 2009, 07:05 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Sep 26 2009, 07:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's not what my bat-cowl said. Are you calling Batman a liar?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He sets his cowl to read "dead" because it amuses him. He's Batman. He can do whatever he wants.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Think of the phrase, "you are dead to me" and you will understand.

Replaying on hard atm, it reilly is hard! Unless you want to be BORING, because boring is never hard.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    Completed it today on normal. This is one of the best-polished games I've ever played. Too many examples to list, I'll just say it's awesome and if you played it you're awesome.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just finished it on hard and finally got 100%. Taking down the henchmen at the party became quite the nice challenge on hard..in the end i just placed 3 explosives on the floor before i began the fight. The challenge dlc's has been good too, the first one has survivor mode in combat, really really kool challenge.
    I want a bloody sequel already! and no..pls dont make it sandbox, which would just totally ruin it.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1728907:date=Sep 26 2009, 07:05 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Sep 26 2009, 07:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's not what my bat-cowl said. Are you calling Batman a liar?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Batcowl lies. But not Batman.
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    I missed my chance to crash the party so I have to play through a second time now. Oh well. :)
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    ###### the Flawless Perfection achievement, I spend a good hour attempting it before giving up.

Damn good game though.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Are you guys playing with a gamepad or mouse n keyboard?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I'm pretty sure that question is analogous to "are you guys playing this on a console or a PC?"
    Pretty silly way of asking that question.

I don't think it's analogous at all. I think he was asking whether people on the PC are using a gamepad or the keyboard and mouse.

I use a mouse and keyboard. Like a <i>man</i>.