Stupid question: Will the game be 40 dollars after release?

-Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
I read somewhere on the forums that said after release they will make the standard game cost 40 dollars...

Is that true ?

Thank you for any replies.

(Oh one more thing... Will a hard copy be available? I don't want to get a digital DL.)

Comments

• homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    As opposed to a digital copy that's outdated before it hits the shelf?
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    On initial release, it's only going to be available as a digital download.

I don't think there are any plans to raise the price after release, that seems like a good way to annoy consumers.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    As I recall, the devs always stated they wanted to sell their game at a low price, and speculations always were around 20$. Now, the "normal" pre-order is 20$, and the 40$ version is just there for those who want to further support UWE. I have yet to see an official statement stating the price will go up after release (although I might have missed it, it is unlikely), so I'm for one who thinks it'll stay 20$.
  • gamakungamakun Join Date: 2007-11-20 Member: 62971Members, Constellation
    It would be nice, if it stayed at $20. But $30 seems more balanced with price and profit. Lately, everyone need money -_- .
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    In all likely hood, they will continue to sell the 20 and 40 dollar versions of the games. 20 dollars is low enough for an impulse buy and is at "independent developer price point" (most indie games cost 5, 10 or 20 dollars) which makes it look more legit. Only having the 40 dollar price point points in a weird position between being an indie game and a full fledged title, which is a terrible place to be. People will think its a subpar product. The 40 dollar "special edition" is a great compromise since people who played NS1, who will buy the game anyways, will pay extra because of their love for the first game.

20 dollars covers people who want to try the game out.
    40 dollars covers people who will buy the game anyway.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I don't see why it would be $40. The majority of people willing to pay $40 have probably already paid it.
    $20 seems to be the upper price point for independently developed games.

Frankly, I think that if they drop the price to $9.95, they will make more money in the long term than if they charge $20 or $30. Also, at that price, I think I could convince my non-ns-playing friends to buy.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1728360:date=Sep 22 2009, 11:27 AM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Sep 22 2009, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728360"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't see why it would be $40. The majority of people willing to pay $40 have probably already paid it.
    $20 seems to be the upper price point for independently developed games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agree.
    <!--quoteo(post=1728360:date=Sep 22 2009, 11:27 AM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Sep 22 2009, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728360"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Frankly, I think that if they drop the price to $9.95, they will make more money in the long term than if they charge $20 or $30. Also, at that price, I think I could convince my non-ns-playing friends to buy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Disagree. 20$ is a solid price point for this game. This isn't a PopCap game or "play 5 hours and beat the game" type of experience. I think raising to 30 would remove the "impulse buy" level it has now, and I don't think 10$ would bring in enough extra "impulse buyers" to justify it. If you're interested in the game, meaning this is the first time you've heard about it and it sounds good, then 20$ is already a bargain price.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    I don't really understand people that want a "hard copy" bought from a store. Does paying tax and touching the greasy Gamestop cashier's hand really increase your enjoyment of the game? Is it because you want something that will last forever and you trust your archiving skills better than Valve's? Really? Still got your copy of Civilization and Doom II from 20 years ago? Still want to play it? The internet isn't going anywhere, folks. It will last at least as long as your desire to install NS2.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1728394:date=Sep 22 2009, 06:38 PM:name=noncomposmentis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noncomposmentis @ Sep 22 2009, 06:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728394"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't really understand people that want a "hard copy" bought from a store. Does paying tax and touching the greasy Gamestop cashier's hand really increase your enjoyment of the game? Is it because you want something that will last forever and you trust your archiving skills better than Valve's? Really? Still got your copy of Civilization and Doom II from 20 years ago? Still want to play it? The internet isn't going anywhere, folks. It will last at least as long as your desire to install NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, yes some of us love to collect game boxes/cases. Yes I purchased my copy of NS2 day 1 immediately when the pre-order page went up, but I would still definately get a retail copy of the game because

1) I'm a fan
    2) I love NS/NS2
    3)I love collecting game boxes.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    I have nothing against digital copies, but I do like "hard copies" too, mostly for the same reasons Crispix stated, but also because most connections around here have a 20 or 30GB monthly download cap, and with the size of games nowadays, it's nice to save a few GBs here and there when the bandwidth is there for the whole family. My Steam folder is currently larger than 40 GB and not even all of my games are installed, so that means I'd need more than two months to redownload everything (at least I backup my /steamapps folder) if I don't want to blow up the bandwidth cap.

I was also thankful to have some CD/DVDs of (sp) games with me when I moved far away from home and didn't have an internet connection for a few weeks.

Getting up and going to the store isn't that bad either, you get to see people, you know? :p
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Would buying that extra bandwidth from your ISP for the game and placing it on a CD/DVD yourself not be cheaper than buying a hard copy?
  • FuNiOnZFuNiOnZ Join Date: 2004-02-05 Member: 26112Members
    Maybe compromise and offer a boxed version for $10 extra?
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1728417:date=Sep 22 2009, 08:55 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Sep 22 2009, 08:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would buying that extra bandwidth from your ISP for the game and placing it on a CD/DVD yourself not be cheaper than buying a hard copy?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But some of us like to have something official. The real deal you know.
    <!--quoteo(post=1728417:date=Sep 22 2009, 04:55 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Sep 22 2009, 04:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would buying that extra bandwidth from your ISP for the game and placing it on a CD/DVD yourself not be cheaper than buying a hard copy?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, I don't see that much price difference between boxed and digital games. I know they tend to be at least 5-10$ cheaper online, but I just took a quick look around and found games like Fear 2 or Dawn of War 2 being the same price in store and on Steam. But yeah, of course, if it's cheaper online, I'll buy it there when I've got the bandwidth to spare, that no problem.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm in no way saying UWE should also produce hard copies of NS2. Actually I'm against it, because I wouldn't want them to spend money on it when it's not that much of a big deal. I like Steam and the way it works, how I can log on any computer and download/play my games from there. The only thing I dislike is the hassle to try to access it in Offline mode when you don't have any internet connection, but this has very little to do with NS2 since it's a multiplayer only game, and there's little point to accessing a multiplayer game online.

But still, there's a little something special about having a box. Some people feel it, some don't. I could compare it to buying a music album online or in stores (although here there's actually a difference between the two versions, the mp3s being of lower quality, so it does not completely apply.).

So I don't hate people for liking digital copies, but don't hate me for liking boxes :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1728439:date=Sep 22 2009, 11:16 PM:name=Corporal_Fortier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corporal_Fortier @ Sep 22 2009, 11:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, I don't see that much price difference between boxed and digital games. I know they tend to be at least 5-10$ cheaper online, but I just took a quick look around and found games like Fear 2 or Dawn of War 2 being the same price in store and on Steam. But yeah, of course, if it's cheaper online, I'll buy it there when I've got the bandwidth to spare, that no problem.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm in no way saying UWE should also produce hard copies of NS2. Actually I'm against it, because I wouldn't want them to spend money on it when it's not that much of a big deal. I like Steam and the way it works, how I can log on any computer and download/play my games from there. The only thing I dislike is the hassle to try to access it in Offline mode when you don't have any internet connection, but this has very little to do with NS2 since it's a multiplayer only game, and there's little point to accessing a multiplayer game online.

But still, there's a little something special about having a box. Some people feel it, some don't. I could compare it to buying a music album online or in stores (although here there's actually a difference between the two versions, the mp3s being of lower quality, so it does not completely apply.).

So I don't hate people for liking digital copies, but don't hate me for liking boxes :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Take into consideration though that not everyone has a CC, or others don't want to use their CC online, and would rather go to a store and purchase the game in retail form. As well, the game may get more recognizable for having a box sitting on a shelf, especially new releases. I'm not saying UWE should go retail, I wish they would, for the sake of people wanting a hard copy form, but at the same time, I want UWE to make the right decisions for their game and where they see it headed.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1728074:date=Sep 20 2009, 11:53 AM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Sep 20 2009, 11:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On initial release, it's only going to be available as a digital download.

I don't think there are any plans to raise the price after release, that seems like a good way to annoy consumers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Where is my analogue download???
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    I believe on release only the $20 dollar version will remain available. The $40 SE is only going to be available for pre-orders. Right? I don't see much point in getting the SE after release or even after the beta. Since the coolest thing about the SE is access to the alpha (and to say thanks to UWE for NS1 of course). However all of these people will have gotten the pre-order anyway.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    edited September 2009
    The reason why steam versions suck is because they can be stolen. One password and all of your games are gone.
    Keyloggers FTL.

Happened to me before, alot of money was lost. Now i never buy on steam unless I have to.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    <b>FAIL</b>

1) CD keys are worthless once they are registered with a steam account.

2) Contact Steam:
    <a href="https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2347-QDFN-4366" target="_blank">https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article...=2347-QDFN-4366</a>
    If someone steals your steam account, you can get it back.

3) Don't get keylogged idiot. The steam client stores your password anyways...so wtf?

"CD keys" are so 1990's

Now that Steam has been polished its ###### amazing.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1728579:date=Sep 23 2009, 05:37 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Sep 23 2009, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>FAIL</b>

1) CD keys are worthless once they are registered with a steam account.

2) Contact Steam:
    <a href="https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2347-QDFN-4366" target="_blank">https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article...=2347-QDFN-4366</a>
    If someone steals your steam account, you can get it back.

3) Don't get keylogged idiot. The steam client stores your password anyways...so wtf?

"CD keys" are so 1990's

Now that Steam has been polished its ###### amazing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No need to call me an idiot, I'm not your buddy or friend. You can't call me w/e you want.

1. Yes, steam eats them.

2. No, the only way is to send them your credit card #. I used a visa gift card for 100 dollars, got a bunch of games... then it expired.

3. I had a few accounts back then, (one i got from my cousin w/ CS:S and other crap. So i didn't bother buying them again) When i changed between them the keylogger took it. After a few updates of my anti virus and anti spy... it was finally able to remove it. It was a custom made keylogger that was undetected at the time.

Guess what... When a hacker takes your account... and gets it VAC banned on every valve made game... what is the point of getting the account back anyways? VAC bans will never ever be removed. It is in the steam TOS. So you pretty much got a bunch of useless games.... and a NS2.

No, steam is a way to make money, not to help you out. They don't care about you, only your pocket.

Plus: You can always sell boxed copys... on ebay, to a friend, w/e.. Which is what I do when I'm finished with most. W/ steam this is not possible.