moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
<div class="IPBDescription">James Cameron's new movie</div><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXF2nH4Z9sc"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXF2nH4Z9sc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Looks pretty friggin cool, although I'm not sure how I'll feel about aliens looking like zoras. Unless there's some backstory about a common origin, it's a pretty preposterous way for aliens to look.

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    You're right, Avatar would really be giving up any claim to seriousness if it has aliens that look like humans without some evolutionary explanation. This is because there are no other science fiction movies that have ever done this, and to try it would be foolish.
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    Just basing myself on the previews, looks like the typical story of Pochehantus told in a modern setting. The "technologically advanced" humans consider themselves superior to the aliens and a marine is put into the body of one such alien to help with that aim in mind but instead gets swooed off his feet by a female of that species. By the end, I'm sure he's fighting alongside his new sweetheart to defend the alien people against the "mean" colonialists.. err.. marines.

This and District 9.. seems there's sort of a movement of telling old stories and using aliens as the "bad guys" in order to make the audience automatically side with one point of view then getting to know the aliens, turns out to be completely wrong. If they showed a film showing cowboys shooting indians and slaughtering tribes, the audience would immediately sympathize with the indians. Though if they were aliens, audience apparently doesn't seem to mind as much.. :/
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Common origin? Try convergent evolution instead.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cant wait to see Avatar in 3d this xmas.
    Cameron delivers, i have my trust in him when it comes to sci fi.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2009
    I did detect an old-school sound from Duke Nukem 3D (water sound when the alien is lying in the water tank, played twice even :D)

@movie, I never base anything of trailers :P
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1726878:date=Sep 11 2009, 05:33 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Sep 11 2009, 05:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're right, Avatar would really be giving up any claim to seriousness if it has aliens that look like humans without some evolutionary explanation. This is because there are no other science fiction movies that have ever done this, and to try it would be foolish.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It happens in Star Wars a lot. You've just further demonstrated your lack of Star Wars knowledge.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Hawkeye)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawkeye)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This and District 9.. seems there's sort of a movement of telling old stories and using aliens as the "bad guys" in order to make the audience automatically side with one point of view then getting to know the aliens, turns out to be completely wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The aliens are never portrayed as bad guys in District 9. They're an opressed minority the entire film. They're portrayed as victims from the moment they appear.
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    I'm just glad this wasn't a Thundercats movie, which is the direction I was afraid the trailer was going when I saw it in the theater.
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726966:date=Sep 11 2009, 07:14 PM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Sep 11 2009, 07:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726966"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It happens in Star Wars a lot. You've just further demonstrated your lack of Star Wars knowledge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You make a good point Stickboy. -_-
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I saw the 16-minute 3-d 'exclusive screening' / 'first look' back in August, I think it was? The screening actually made me, and my friend who went to see it, less excited for the movie. Also if you plan on seeing it in 3D don't expect things to jump out at you. The 3d style Cameron went with is <i>very</i> subtle and almost to the point where it's not even worth the extra effort.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727000:date=Sep 12 2009, 04:10 AM:name=Depot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Depot @ Sep 12 2009, 04:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You make a good point Stickboy. -_-<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    My original post was, like <i>everything that I have every typed in the entire history of the Internet</i>, sarcasm.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    How <i>convenient</i>.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727011:date=Sep 12 2009, 07:39 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Sep 12 2009, 07:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I saw the 16-minute 3-d 'exclusive screening' / 'first look' back in August, I think it was? The screening actually made me, and my friend who went to see it, less excited for the movie. Also if you plan on seeing it in 3D don't expect things to jump out at you. The 3d style Cameron went with is <i>very</i> subtle and almost to the point where it's not even worth the extra effort.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That seems like a trend with "modern" 3D. Nothing really jumps out like it used to.
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The aliens are never portrayed as bad guys in District 9. They're an opressed minority the entire film. They're portrayed as victims from the moment they appear.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, well the plot would never show the aliens as bad guys. You misinterpreted my meaning. I only meant that by default if the first thing you saw in a movie was an alien getting shot dead by a character in the movie, not only would you not sympathize with the alien but you'd probably consider the guy who killed the alien as a badass protagonist. Not like you were pulling for the aliens by the end of Independence Day.. for all you know they were trying to take over the earth because they ran out of resources on their planet and their entire species would wipe out if they didn't find some resources to sustain themselves. Aliens are automatically bad guys.. they have to prove to be good guys (or at least victims).
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I think you could have picked a better example than Independence Day though. "We squandered our resources so now we're going to kill you all and take your planet" is not exactly the moral high ground.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    So is this based off a book or similar or just story written for screen-play?

My only issue is based on the preview, I don't see how the title fits that movie. That and there is an Avatar: The Last Airbender movie coming out based on animated series.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1727266:date=Sep 14 2009, 07:51 PM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Sep 14 2009, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So is this based off a book or similar or just story written for screen-play?

My only issue is based on the preview, I don't see how the title fits that movie. That and there is an Avatar: The Last Airbender movie coming out based on animated series.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

based off the picture reveal I watched, which only gave away the basic plot and James Cameron was on screen saying there were no spoilers contained within, the title fits because....

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>The humans (for some reason) are on a planet where they cannot leave the confines of their own base due to the environment. In order to interact with the indigenous species they have to have humans who link up into something like a computer, this then transformers the person into one of the indigenous creatures (not sure what happens to their human body). So in essence, a select group has/becomes these avatars so they roll around the planet.</span>

The reveal I watched also reminded me of Lion King for some reason. Like... Lion King with guns.
  • kickerkicker Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62397Members, Constellation
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1727271:date=Sep 14 2009, 08:35 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Sep 14 2009, 08:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727271"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lion King with guns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <b><i>Sold.</i></b>