Nymph

Comments

• chopperchopper Join Date: 2009-05-29 Member: 67537Members
    A name suggestion: XENOVI

Since marines already use xenoforms, the word uses xeno- (foreign, alien) and ovi (from latin, eggs).
    (ok, the singular would be xenovum but who cares about latin grammar :), plus xeno- comes from greek anyway so just take it as a neologism).
  • HebachebaHebacheba Join Date: 2009-06-19 Member: 67872Members
    After reading the whole thread, I'd have to say my favorite suggestion is Mites. It's easy to say and it fits them pretty well.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    my vote is that I don't really care
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    100% for glowies, for many reasons, but number one reason is that a marine seeing them the first time would also call them like them. Easy to remember word, and it describes them while keeping them mysterious.
    Also, it would fit the naming of other stuff like the onos, which is also a not really a serious name but fits.
  • XeZoXeZo Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1726935:date=Sep 11 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Sep 11 2009, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726935"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->100% for glowies, for many reasons, but number one reason is that a marine seeing them the first time would also call them like them. Easy to remember word, and it describes them while keeping them mysterious.
    Also, it would fit the naming of other stuff like the onos, which is also a not really a serious name but fits.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*high five*
  • Sumo-SoldierSumo-Soldier Join Date: 2009-07-24 Member: 68249Members
    edited September 2009
    i say have a complicated name and then a sort of short nickname as well. For example not all of us call the them kharra. we just call them aliens. Even tho the real name of their species is kharra. We just say aliens cause its simple. ive heard people calling a skulk a dog etc..

so in the same way we shud have the scientific name be xenovi and eventually the community will create a name for them without us noticing.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Somewhere it was claimed that Kharaa is just a foreign word. I looked up two meanings: "rear" and what's coming from one.
    If I remember correctly that story said that it was meant to tell "behind you!"
  • GDWhiteGDWhite Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68170Members
    this thread is 12 pages too long. xD
  • TheRealFuryTheRealFury Join Date: 2009-06-29 Member: 67971Members
    I vote for Glowies, Simple and to the point just like Onos.
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    it doesnt matter how we name it... the players will call it the simplest thing.
    floaties.
    glowies.
    thingies.
    fireflies...

wait, i got it!!

firefly!
    or
    firelarvea
    annoying stupid thingies!
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    the Latin word <b>micans</b> means flashing, gleaming, sparkling
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    this thread is retarded..
  • PaladinDudePaladinDude Join Date: 2006-12-04 Member: 58881Members, Constellation
    To be honest, the community will naturally select (geddit?) a name for the things!

How about, radioactive snot rocket? ;)
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Yeah im calling em' Glowies regardless of what anyone says :P
  • VyshusVyshus Join Date: 2005-06-13 Member: 53826Members
    embyrs all the way, its what I'd call them when I first saw them. Glowies sounds too cute for war.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    'Gorgy mcFatness' isn't exactly war like slang either, but I hear similar things all the time on servers :P
  • Colon CancerColon Cancer Join Date: 2008-03-23 Member: 63941Members
    I know this thread is old but the names for the alien race is interesting. Heres a few ideas with a little historical meaning perhaps.

Pishachas (hindu- cannibalistic demons) Pishaaacha?
    Rakshasas (hindu - shapeshifting demons/illusionists) maybe change to Rakshashi'ii, also called Nri-chakshas, or Kravyads
    Nirriti (hindu -god of death)

Daeva (biblical - evil insects?)

Nihilanth (do you know where this is from?)

some sort of play on words -Gual'raa, Ger'raum, Ra'apolii
    Alien: greek=alladapolis, hebrew=ger
    space: german=Raum
    Evil: hebrew=Ra
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727290:date=Sep 15 2009, 06:57 AM:name=Colon Cancer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Colon Cancer @ Sep 15 2009, 06:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nihilanth (do you know where this is from?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's the main bad guy of Half-Life. I've never been able to kill it without cheating.

In my opinion your proposals are too fancy for a marine's mouth. But we could think that Kharaa is a name given by scientists but players (marines) still refer to them as aliens. So perhaps we could really give them some fancy name and let players (marines) call them something like Glowies.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1727291:date=Sep 14 2009, 10:15 PM:name=KonserniJohtaja)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KonserniJohtaja @ Sep 14 2009, 10:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727291"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's the main bad guy of Half-Life. I've never been able to kill it without cheating.

In my opinion your proposals are too fancy for a marine's mouth. But we could think that Kharaa is a name given by scientists but players (marines) still refer to them as aliens. So perhaps we could really give them some fancy name and let players (marines) call them something like Glowies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You just have to jump over its head and shoot at the exposed brains (after being teleported all over creation several times. Oh, and destroying the crystals keeps him from recharging)
  • RugerRuger Join Date: 2009-09-08 Member: 68718Members
    I'm down to call them anything but Glowies, at least call them glowers. Glowies just sounds like what a kid would call stuffed animals that glow in the dark.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I could imagine that my (braindamaged) neighbour would call fireflies glowies.
    But ingame? holy poop, no!
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    Well then it's settled. I think I speak for everyone when I say the new name ought to be Wikinanites.
  • DestruDestru Join Date: 2009-03-11 Member: 66702Members
  • ShadowedEclipseShadowedEclipse Join Date: 2007-08-15 Member: 61886Members
    I kinda like Sylph (silf). Often a term for minor spirit of air in some western mythology. In this instance however I think it might look better by changing it to not have the y, even though this one is supposed to have it in there. Silph. Looks more appropriate like that to me.

If not, Nymph isn't bad. Embyr just bugs me for some reason. Nothing else really jumped out at me.
  • heWantedMeToChangeMyNameheWantedMeToChangeMyName Join Date: 2009-10-22 Member: 69115Members
    Whatever their official name becomes, Im still going to end up calling them something stupid...........like Whoosps.

"Commander, I need some help; Im being persued by Whoosps!"
  • TerrTerr Arthritic Skulk Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7486Members
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    Nymph is pretty good imo... it sounds like a reactionary word to what they would see and is immeasurably better than glowies.. although Ember (without a y) is not bad idea either. Sprawns is kinda funny though.
  • ARTO-UKARTO-UK Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58602Members
    I will be calling them floaters..

yes like turds.
  • Lt_HendricksonLt_Hendrickson Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14761Members
    you know those asian fancy fish you see in ponds. I'd call them those.
  • TerrTerr Arthritic Skulk Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7486Members
    edited December 2009
    You're a non-biologist, you stumble across this utterly alien freakin' thing. Specks of light are moving around it. What do you call 'em when you're in a hurry and prone to swearing and OMG THEY'RE EATING EVERYBODY'S FACE OFF AUUUGHHHH!

"Glowies" is far too generically cutesy. "Nymphs" is too much like a name biologists come up with... it isn't a nickname you'd expect from firsthand reports of frightened civilians and grizzled fighters. I can see them giving something a "cutesy" name as a way to insult it (like calling gorges "pigs") but nobody fights little specks of light, so there's no need to pick an effeminate or weak-sounding nickname.

The only reason I suggest "motes" is because the Hive does look a bit like a God's Eye... with motes in it :D