Power to the Commander

AfromanaAfromana Join Date: 2009-07-21 Member: 68217Members
When im commander on public servers on NS, im not the one in charge... its the others that keep controling me instead, if i dont listen to what they say i get ejected.
The only thing im suggesting is that somehow the commander would actually be the leading role... instead of a guy everyone pushes around. (Just my opinion)

Comments

• RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    the commander is *meant* to be in charge, but its better to work as a team.

you got people from the "pro" area on your team? gg, let him com or leave.
    (those league players are the reason i frown upon the "pro scene")
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Hmmm usually the comm does lead the game.
    Exceptions being first and foremost "bad comm" (can't all be good, and by listening to tips, you do get better.), second being "GIVE ME SHOTGUN" (which you usually ignore, you assign the weapons to those who deserve them, when needed). Sometimes, marines request PG's because the comm can't be everywhere at once, and doesn't see everything. I think it's normal that a marine can make some decisions of his own, and give out suggestions. It's up to the commander to decide whether that suggestion can fit in his plan.

How would you force marines to follow orders? Bar mind controlling, other players can't be forced to do much.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1726210:date=Sep 5 2009, 10:27 AM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 5 2009, 10:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the commander is *meant* to be in charge, but its better to work as a team.

you got people from the "pro" area on your team? gg, let him com or leave.
    (those league players are the reason i frown upon the "pro scene")<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, because someone getting pissed you didn't drop a medpack or a shotgun instantly means they're a competitive player, so clearly they're all ######.

I'm pretty sure you're a moron there, big guy.

The actual problem is that the commander has control over the marine's playstyle so when a marine isn't having fun, because they're not using their favorite upgrade or weapon, they take out their frustrations on the commander. This should be somewhat reduced in NS2 since marines will buy their own weapons and have more control over how they choose to play the game.
  • SwordfishSwordfish Join Date: 2009-09-04 Member: 68695Members
    In the old NS a couple of votes could be enough to kick a commander, less then halv,

At least it should need more than half the marines to vote for ejection.
  • borsukborsuk Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67717Members
    edited September 2009
    Guess what, it's no surprise that people don't like to be pushed around while having fun. For people who like to force others to do their bidding, there are RTS games with mindless robotic units. The sooner you realize people have their own minds, the better. Do you know the saying ? There are two ways, the military way and the wrong way. Military is all about blind obedience and making tools out of people. Military style commander won't work in a game with people, because regular players are not tools and not trained to blind obedience. Good game design reflects that and empowers people, gives them tools to cooperate better rather than forcing them to do X and Y military commander style. See Enemy Territory games for reference.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1726213:date=Sep 5 2009, 04:39 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Sep 5 2009, 04:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, because someone getting pissed you didn't drop a medpack or a shotgun instantly means they're a competitive player.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, but the I-know-everything-and-you-suck type of player is usualy part of a professional team with hundreds of user commands per minute and when a com isnt able to put out an rt while spamming healthpacks on the other side of the map they start to boot-vote.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    This whole issue is why I think they are going the multiple commander route.

Marines naturally will have better perspective of whats going on in any given room while the commander will have a better overview on the whole battefield. So it's natural for commanders tol ask things of the marines and for marines to ask things of the commanders.

Now commanders are going to be more like teammates playing alongside the marines in the field. Sort of like the operators in the matrix. If that's the case then I think that will definitely be a good thing (even if it will piss of NS1 purists to have multiple commanders).

The key to teamplay in a game like NS is good communication between these two different player types which have a different perspective of the battlefield.

Very importantly it will allow people to learn how to comm in actual pvp matches. I've actually never comm'd in a full real match mainly because I'm afraid to mess up the game for my teammates.

On the flip side on Aliens I'll play skulk/gorge nearly every match, mainly because I'm afraid to waste res as any of the higher lifeforms. So I'll use up all my res on Hives and chambers.
    That multiple comm thing is dangerous, tho. 3 coms equal more overview and support in the form of packs, but means less guns on the field as well...
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726249:date=Sep 5 2009, 07:12 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 5 2009, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That multiple comm thing is dangerous, tho. 3 coms equal more overview and support in the form of packs, but means less guns on the field as well...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah leaving it up to the players to decide what's best. Choice is good.
  • PerfectDeathPerfectDeath Join Date: 2009-10-10 Member: 69011Members
    I had some situations were the whole team runs off leaving me to go Com, then they start complaining about me not being a good com...

Anyway, the best times I've com'd was when I worked with the players who knew what they were doing. I would be their eye in the sky and keep them informed about what was goin on, I'd check with them about what upgrades I should get for them, what buildings, when they wanted RTs planted, and lastly if I should splurge on med & ammo packs or save for upgrades.

Usually, if they have a half-decent head they'll know if they are going to die, so they know med&ammo would be a waste and that they would want me to have enough res for a shotgun when they respawn. The guys who spend more time are on a lower priority for extra weapons and solo-ists only get med&ammo if they are in a key spot for building an expansion or something.

Rather than command them in a leading role, I play a support role.

Now if your with a bad team, your with a bad team and will lose anyway. =P
    1337 skill only gets you so far in NS anyway.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731659:date=Oct 10 2009, 09:10 PM:name=PerfectDeath)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PerfectDeath @ Oct 10 2009, 09:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had some situations were the whole team runs off leaving me to go Com, then they start complaining about me not being a good com...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A long time ago when I still played NS I had that problem too, occasionally. My solution was to run off as well. It's far better to have all the marines get killed with no IPs and no medpack support and quickly start a new game with reshuffled teams than to have somebody in the comm chair who doesn't want to be there.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    edited October 2009
    If I understand it well, you will need the 3 commanders in order to complete the techtree. Same goes for aliens. But is not required that they stay as commanders once you upgraded.

At least is what I understand from the few things they told about it.

I played many games as comm, and am suck at it, but I listen to the players that knows better. When you are on a team that kick you from the comm because you are not too good instead of helping you be better, usually that team loses. Unless you are doing it just for fun, kicking all the players from the comm, only drop shooties and then rush the hive (did it a couple of times, really funny).

And yes, a team that goes away and then complain about you not doing well is really common and annoying. I usually change servers in that case.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    If you want to lead, go play on a bot server.