Rock Band

DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">Anyone else still addicted?</div>Next week is the second annual PAX DLC pack. JoCo! And more Freezepop. yay. :D

Anyone here still playing regularly?

I've got a couple songs. :X
<a href="http://www.myrockbandsongs.com/DOOManiac/songs/" target="_blank">http://www.myrockbandsongs.com/DOOManiac/songs/</a>

Comments

• DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    my wife is more the musical type than I am. just got the guitar hero 5. Seems pretty spiffy, though it really feels like they're running out of good songs to put in these music games... sort of looking forward to the Beatles game next week. When did they decide to take the keyboard out of it? :(
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I don't ever recall a keyboard... There's Guitar, Bass (played on a guitar controller), vocals, and drums.

I occasionally enjoy Rock Band/Guitar Hero, but only on occasion. Can't really see the point of playing alone, and when I'm not alone, there's usually better to do.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Im still an addict to the GH franchise, I sadly own 7 of the cursed games., about to get GH5 next week too.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726172:date=Sep 4 2009, 06:32 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Sep 4 2009, 06:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't ever recall a keyboard... There's Guitar, Bass (played on a guitar controller), vocals, and drums.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, after I said that, I googled it, and it sounds like the keyboard was an unconfirmed rumor when the Beatles game was in the conceptual stage. Oh well.
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1726167:date=Sep 4 2009, 05:19 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Sep 4 2009, 05:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seems pretty spiffy, though it really feels like they're running out of good songs to put in these music games...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rock Band has almost 1,000 and they're still going. Turns out there are a lot of different songs some people like and some don't. The nice thing about DLC is that they can afford to put out track packs that only a few people will want, vs. a retail release where they need to make sure all the songs appeal to as many people as possible...
    So, in the off chance I'm ever getting one of these games: Rock Band or Guitar Hero? Why so?
    Knowing that it would only be occasional, and on Wii (the rest of my gaming being on PC, and I don't think there's a PC version...)

And yes, I'm aware Wii doesn't have DLC, but I can't figure out a good reason to buy a console I'm going to use just for downloadable content.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    I prefer guitar hero peripherals, they seem more 'solid'.

Honestly other then that make a decision based on which game better suits your taste in music.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1726228:date=Sep 5 2009, 02:23 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Sep 5 2009, 02:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726228"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And yes, I'm aware Wii doesn't have DLC<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes it does :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1726303:date=Sep 6 2009, 01:53 PM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thansal @ Sep 6 2009, 01:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes it does :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For Rock Band and Guitar Hero? I thought they had Track Packs because they didn't have DLC for it
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    sorry, correction:
    Rock Band 2 supports DLC.

RB1 I think does not (I think), and I don't know about GH.
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1726228:date=Sep 5 2009, 01:23 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Sep 5 2009, 01:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726228"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, in the off chance I'm ever getting one of these games: Rock Band or Guitar Hero? Why so?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rock Band, a million times over.

I had a very long post explaining how RB was a higher quality game than the GH franchise in every way but then I hit the back button and it all got deleted. Since I'm lazy I'm not going to type all of it out again but:

Rock Band has tons of DLC, giving you <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_list_of_downloadable_songs_for_the_Rock_Band_series" target="_blank">hundreds of songs</a> in the same game without swapping discs. There are currently over 650 songs, including some complete albums from Iron Maiden, Rush, The Cars, etc. There's a huge variety to the music they pick too.

Guitar Hero, on the other hand, takes the opposite approach. There are currently *nine* different Guitar Hero games, and with the exception of the newest one, NONE of the songs can be put into any of the other games. (GH5 does let you import about 1/3 of the songs from GH4). And there is not nearly as much DLC, and AFAIK the GH4 DLC does not work with GH5 or vice versa.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    I still hit up rock band now and then; with other concerns it's been on the back burner, but I expect to be back to playing pretty regularly before long. Only down side being that my normal playing hours are going to be pretty far off from the standard evening timeframe. Ah well.
  • IsamilIsamil Join Date: 2003-11-25 Member: 23552Members, Constellation
    rock band, having an iron maiden song pack, automatically wins. in addition to just being a lot nicer in general.

But the GH franchise did have a commercial for GH:Metallica with Roy Williams ^__^