District 9...

2»

Comments

• LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    What happened the first... 10-15 minutes of the movie? I made it to the theater late.

All in all it was a pretty mediocre film with some decent action scenes.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    What was the first thing you remember seeing?

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>The movie talks about first contact and how the ship sat motionless over the city for 3 months, the MNU finally cut a whole in the side of the ship and found the aliens dieing of malnutrition so they moved them into the refugee camp District 9. They also mentioned that something fell off the ship after it first arrived but MNU was unable to find what it was. (the control module) They then talked about how Wikus was appointed to head up the eviction operation by his father in law (some big wig in MNU)</span>
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    Nice to see the good reviews, I'll catch this one next.

The gf and I opted for Inglorious Basterds... Quentin Tarantino outdid himself on this one. Just see it, the ending is killer. :)
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1725192:date=Aug 27 2009, 05:29 AM:name=Depot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Depot @ Aug 27 2009, 05:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice to see the good reviews, I'll catch this one next.

The gf and I opted for Inglorious Basterds... Quentin Tarantino outdid himself on this one. Just see it, the ending is killer. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gotta disagree with you here, it clearly wasn't his best work. Music was ripped from Kill Bill (and didn't fit the Nazi theme nearly as well), and the movie was far too long at around 3 hours. I did like the beginning scene where the Jewish girl escapes though.
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    It was a long movie, agreed. Didn't think the music matched either. Still, it was entertaining. -_-
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    DONT POINT YOUR FOKKIN TENTACLES AT ME!

loved the movie all the way thru, especially the south afrikaan dialekt. its just hilarous to me at times when used right, it felt very authentic in this film.

the protagonist was great, intense actor. "ITS LIKE POPCORN" haha
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I just got back from seeing it. Pretty damn awesome. Great story, great message. The most potent parts of the movie were those in which the aliens were being pulled out of their houses. Their "human" side brought into light.

It's hard to make the point I want to make without using words that have strong racist connotations, but I'll try. This movie tried to show that external appearances mean nothing, someone can be a slathering tentacled beast from another planet and still be a civil, intelligent and amiable person. Those of us living in the privileged parts of the world have a hard time understanding the lives of those living in places like district 9. We also have a hard time understanding the prejudices of those that grew up in proximity to places like it.

I work with a lot of South Africans at work, some of whom are good friends. However when the issue of race comes up I'm still surprised at how deeply embittered they are against blacks. I'm blessedly free of this prejudice, because I was lucky enough to grow up in an almost idyllic world.

I've found that expectation tends to drive people's actions. Treat someone like a potential criminal and they'll likely resort to crime. Give them an honest and decent shot at proving their worth and they'll shine. A significant proportion of the white population of SA believe that no good can come of the new black-led government and many are emigrating. It's a sad state of affairs.

The crappy cycle:
    1) A generation of angry confused people exist,
    2) That generation creates an expectation of trouble,
    3) That expectation shapes future generations,
    4) The expectation persists.

I wish there was some way of breaking this.

--Scythe--
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    yeah, my grandfather had investments in gold mining in south america, and his "friends" from down there were seething racists. Though I guess that was back in the 80's when things were still really bad.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its still pretty bad..
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    To fellow Brits: does the lead character change to a Scouse accent whenever he said "f***ing prawns".

The movie was ok but the message they were trying to get out was really blunt. Very crass. We already know people as a collective are fearful and let the fear and distrust turn to hate. Yoda taught us this a long time ago- you're about 30 years too late.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727344:date=Sep 15 2009, 06:21 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Sep 15 2009, 06:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To fellow Brits: does the lead character change to a Scouse accent whenever he said "f***ing prawns".

The movie was ok but the message they were trying to get out was really blunt. Very crass. We already know people as a collective are fearful and let the fear and distrust turn to hate. Yoda taught us this a long time ago- you're about 30 years too late.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dude, Yoda died way long ago.